+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, Teacher Training - should I? in Training and Courses; Our Head recently suggested that I should begin teacher training in September as an ICT teacher. I would be on ...
    Thank Post

Teacher Training - should I?

Our Head recently suggested that I should begin teacher training in September as an ICT teacher.

I would be on the GTP (Graduate Teacher Programme) which would be like an apprenticeship. I would stay at this school and teach Y7 initially, building up to all KS3 later.

It sounds OK, but I'm in two minds about it. I enjoy IT and imagined a career building IT skills. If I went into teaching I'd probably find it hard to keep up with the skill development.

I went through teacher training 12 years ago and had a terrible time. I really hated it. I'm now older, more mature etc. and already know the school I'd be working with.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has considered teacher training and had any thoughts on it.

Thanks.

Thank Post

Re: Teacher Training - should I?

I'm just doing my degree at the moment, then onto GTP as well.

I was under the impression that to get QTS under the GTP you had to work in a number of school, and I won't be training in my current school...

Unless you know differently?

Thank Post

Would you soley teach... would you still do a bit of network managing thus keeping your foot in two doors...?

Thank Post

@Stewart - I don't know much about it. Our Head came from a bigger school where they trained several support staff into teachers. The school was accredited for the GTP training, so they could do it all there. That may not apply at our school.

I'm not interested in going to other schools - I don't want it that badly!

@Kiran - To start with I'd be doing both, at least for a couple of years, I think.

I wouldn't like to do both long term, I'd end up like one of those out-of-touch IT managers. Technology would move on without me, and I'd have to employ techs who really know their job, and also know that I don't know mine. I think we've all come across that type of manager. I don't want to end up like that.

Thank Post

Only do the teacher training if you really fancy the idea of teaching - from what I've seen - it does horrible things to people who do it but don't like it.

Thank Post

I was offered this too but i needed to get a degree first. This was 5 years ago now and to be honest i did not fancy the teacher role then. Still not sure now and only time will tell but i know that i do enjoy my techie role and i think teaching could be the same old same old just with different kids, at least my job is the never the same 2 days running.

I suppose BSF will bite me on the ar*e and I'd have wished i had gone teacher after all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts

You Said:
    "It sounds OK, but I'm in two minds about it. I enjoy IT and imagined a career building IT skills. If I went into teaching I'd probably find it hard to keep up with the skill development.

I went through teacher training 12 years ago and had a terrible time. I really hated it. I'm now older, more mature etc. and already know the school I'd be working with.

I'm not interested in going to other schools - I don't want it that badly!"

Having read this- I really don't think that you want to do this, do you? It is hard work and you have to be quite dedicated -so if you are not really sure - DON'T DO IT
    You could always wait a year and see how you feel then

Thank Post

SpuffMonkey, Kyle, Witch - You're right!

It occurred to me as I was typing that post.

I know that teaching is only something you can do well if you're dedicated (although I know a few teachers who aren't!), otherwise it's a miserable job.

I'll stick with IT, which is what I always wanted to do, and still enjoy.

PS - SpuffMonkey & Kyle, you really ought to be in bed by midnight. Less coffee!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread