+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, a/network+ in Training and Courses; stupid question with a+ an network+ exams can you self study and then take exams and how much are the ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

a/network+

stupid question with a+ an network+ exams can you self study and then take exams and how much are the exams.

Russ

Re: a/network+

Yes you can self study. Can't remeber the cost of the exams though. IMO though they are a waste of money. If you have been a Technician / Netowrk Manager in a school for any length of time, then you will know most of what is required, and have the experiance. Just my view.

Thank Post

Yes you can self-study. I would recommend self-study as anything else is very expensive.

All you need is the Mike Meyers books at about £40 each. There's one each for the A+ and N+. They really are the best books, with an easy-going conversational style.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...854361-7087833
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...854361-7087833

Book the exams through Pearson VUE. The exams are about £140 each, I think. Remember there's two for the A+, and one for the N+.

http://www.vue.com/

I got ripped off £900 for a crap A+ self-study course provided by Wave a few years ago when starting out in IT. I bought the Mike Meyers A+ book as a backup to the course, and quickly realised it was much better than the Wave stuff, and only £40 instead of £900.

Although they are worth having ( I have them both and they count towards the MCSA/MCSE) they're not worth spending loads of money on.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post

Hi,

Self study is definately the way to go.
    The Mike meyers books are great but you will need to buy a few others (like from Sybex) as one book never covers all the topics. Be prepared for the exams as you will come across material you will have never heard of. But study well and with experience on hand you will pass.
    I found the A+ harder then the Network+ personally.

I paid £100 each for the A+ OS and Core then another £100 for the Network+.

Try http://www.examnotes.com/ there is a tremendous amount of help there, ignore the braindumps you won't need them anyway.

Good luck

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well this is what i am looking at becuse apart form my gnvq that is all i got aprt from few thigns here and there..

SoI am going to build up how much do they count towards mcse/mcsa etc

Also do you need to do a+ before network+ or can you do network+ straight away.

On microsoft courses can you take a module how long does it last before i.e can you take couple of modules now and then 6 months later do next couple etc.

Russ

Thank Post

You can do them in any order, and they last for life. They don't expire over time as technology changes, like the MS certs do.

I got A+ four years ago, and the N+ recently. (The main reason I did the N+ was that it counted towards the MCSA I'm currently working towards).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

what about mcsa's i know have to take them again every so often but what i did one of mcsa modules and then fews months later did second module and so like that how long after you took a module do you have to complete rest of modules.

russ

Thank Post

I'm not sure what you mean.

However, the Network+ is only one exam, so you can do that whenever you want.

The A+ is two exams, which should be for the same exam version. (A+ gets revised every 18 months or so).

There's no time limit on the other CompTIA certs. You can do them at any time as they're independant.

The CompTIA website will tell you what the current exam version is, and when they plan to retire it. Make sure you buy the books for the correct exam version.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

yer i have gone on to microsoft mcsa exams was asking about now sorry if wasnt clear

russ

Thank Post

I haven't gone for A+ or N+ at all- instead I took a diploma in PC Repair, and then completed an HNC in Network Support (now studying my HND in Systems Administration). They have their place though- even though I didn't take the exams I *did* use the books :-)

I'm not even going for MCSA or such. But I am thinking about Linux+ and Apple certifications...

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: a/network+ now certifications in general

i was wondering about apple certs as well

I think will try and microsoft mcsa so at least got something if work wont pay for it might try and get them to pay for network+.

What apple certs are there?

Thank Post

Re: a/network+ now certifications in general

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    I think will try and microsoft mcsa so at least got something if work wont pay for it might try and get them to pay for network+.
    You can take the individual MCSA modules whenever you want, together or apart. Each one gives you an MCP in that subject, and they are converted to an MCSA when you get all four (3 core + 1 elective: SQL Server or Exchange, possibly others)

I finished my MCSA not long ago. Of the dozen or so people I took it with, I was the only one to pass them all, so it was a big relief to get it out of the way. From what I saw, the only way you can be sure of passing is to put a lot of time in (in my case about 350hrs of study over 6 months).

In some areas I definitely spent more time than necessary (70-270 and 70-290); in others I probably should've spent more (70-291 is a real bitch and not very useful in Real Life).

On the plus side, they send you a free tie pin and a certificate laser printed by Bill Gates () when you're done.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

just seen on safari account got access to lot of books on network+ any good sites with practice tests on etc

russ

Thank Post

I got the MCSA a few years ago but my next certificate will probably be the Linux + then the LPI as the Linux + seems a bit easier going to start with.
    Apart from most of the stuff about the limited life of the qualifications and cost the most annoying thing is paying £90 for an exam and getting a plain laser print out from the test centre to say you have passed. You could knock one up in word in 5 minutes tbh

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

but i think we have to be relastic i need to do exams as got nothing to proive i know what i know...

but someone with degree in it is less likly to need it even through we might have same knowledge.

as said plan is to network+ , mcsa and some kind of apple cert then will do linux cert but as of course all based on what i can afford.

going to try network+ self study and see how i get on

russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast