Site Maintenance at 10:00PM The site will be offline for hosting changes. Downtime: 30-45m

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, MCITP Qualifications in Training and Courses; Hi, I am planning on starting my MCITP Certification's soon, I have 5 years experience in a school setting as ...

Thank Post

MCITP Qualifications

Hi,

I am planning on starting my MCITP Certification's soon, I have 5 years experience in a school setting as ICT Technician and Senior ICT Technician so hopefully should have enough base knowledge to see this through.

I have ordered the official study guides for exams 70-680 and 70-685 I am also planning to sit 70-686 before moving onto the server administrator ones.

I was just wondering if anyone has any additional "free" sources that they know of, possibly websites with free practice questions.

The other thing is I am doing this completely off my own back, how do I arrange to take exams, I understand its prometric for Microsoft stuff but I have only ever dealt with Pearson Vue.

Cheers
    Adam.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    MS exams are run by Prometric, so you need to register on their site, Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment. Exams currently cost 88 and there are loads of test centres around the UK.

The practice questions that come with the guides are resonable, but not comprehensive enough to sit the exam. If your school is a MS schools agreement customer, you have access to the MS E-Business online training courses, which are actually quite good. I used them to obtain most of my MS certs.

Thank Post
    I used to frequent CertForums.co.uk - it's a great place to meet like minded people, you might even find a lab partner to study with

5. Thanks to dwhyte85 from:

Gatt (19th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Might be worth also noting that if you buy an exam pack from Prometric for more than 2 MS exams, you get a discount and free retakes should you need them, until 30th June.

Thank Post
    its also worth pointing out if you buy the ebook version of the course book you dont get all the material thats on the cd but at least you dont have to carry round a brick. Aparently the 70-685(i think) manual is full of errors that could cause issues with the exam

Thank Post
    Bibble-it.com is a good source for training videos and free, especially for the 70-680/685. I would also consider not doing the 685 if you are going to do the 686 as that is classed as the higher cert and includes both 680 and 685 content.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 19th January 2011 at 11:13 AM.

Thank Post
    certforums.co.uk and techexams.net are great. Wait for preplogic to do a mega guide for a $1 deal, theyre good. Also look at the student discount exams, they are valid for staff as well, 44 for an exam!. The ms press books come with practise exams, Theyre fairly good, they test that you've read the book which is of course vital for the exam!.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info guys, the other thing is I don't currently have any Microsoft qualifications do you think it would be worth while to get the MCDST, MCSA and MCSE done before they retire them? or just go ahead with the MCITP programs?

Thank Post
    My personal view is why do the old stuff, granted the vast majority are still systems with 2003 and xp and will be for a long time but, the skills you will learn on the MCTIP track will show you have highly tuned and transferable IT skills. Saying that I would still like to have MCSE under my belt. If your sytem is win 7 and server 08 then MCTIP is the way to go.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, the other thing is I don't currently have any Microsoft qualifications do you think it would be worth while to get the MCDST, MCSA and MCSE done before they retire them? or just go ahead with the MCITP programs?
    To be honest, it really does depend on what technology you work with. If you work with 2003/XP then go down the MCP/MCSA/MCSE route then do the upgrade exams. If not go down the MCTS/MCITP route.

One other thing, the MCP route/certs will not expire or retire so if you gain the MCSA you'll always be a MCSA. However the new MCTS/MCITP route/certs do retire, so even though you may have passed the relevant exams once that credential retires (eg MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech), it retires...

-Ken

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    Also look at the student discount exams, they are valid for staff as well, 44 for an exam!.
    That I didn't know!

Quote Originally Posted by riffleman View Post
    Might be worth also noting that if you buy an exam pack from Prometric for more than 2 MS exams, you get a discount and free retakes should you need them, until 30th June.
    There are some newer codes now where the it ends on December but you have to take the first exam before that date.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 20th January 2011 at 09:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am just starting to do these exams, to just get some certification because at the moment i don't have any apart from 4/5 years expirience.

worth doing if you have the time i guess, if you have no Microsoft Certifications there is only 6 Exams to do to become an MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

If you have an MCSE, you only need to do 2 upgrade exams.

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The apprentices I work with are about to be put through 680, 685 and 686 as part of the apprenticeship. As a result we are becoming a Prometric centre so they can be done in house.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=EduTech;618655If you have an MCSE, you only need to do 2 upgrade exams.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I have an MCSE 2003 and am looking to upgrade to MCITP Enterprise Administrator. It looked to me like I would need to take the following;

70-649 - Upgrade MCSE 2003 to
    MCTS Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
    MCTS Windows Server 2008 Infrastructure Configuration
    MCTS Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration
    70-680 - Windows 7 Configuration
    70-647 - PRO: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator

It's possible to get to MCITP Server Admin by just taking 70-649 and 70-646 though. Perhaps this is what you meant?

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Certification Paths

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast