+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, IT Idiots in Training and Courses; If people hadn't already seen the post from Geoff I would like to point members to IT Idiots as a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

IT Idiots

If people hadn't already seen the post from Geoff I would like to point members to IT Idiots as a fantastic site for those looking for podcast based training materials.

Here is their FAQ with more information.

Who is behind ITidiots.com?

There are three people behind ITidiots.com. Nicky (Technical Consultant), Nick (Developer) and Shabih (Pharmacist). Nicky has been working in the field for over ten years and has delivered Microsoft Official Curriculam training as well as Microsoft Technet seminars. Nick used to work in the City (London) as a delveloper working in the financial field. Shabih is a pharmacist with minimal IT experience, so if we can teach him IT, anyone can learn!

What is the idea of ITidiots.com?

The basic idea of ITidiots.com is to cover topics related to real life corporate networking, embedded in what some people beleive to be an entertaining show, Much of the content is just as applicable to the home user and is bound to be of interest to any IT enthusiast. In the podcast you can watch us build up the network as we discuss it, we are currently using VMWare technology to host the servers all on a laptop! Oh yeah, best of all it is 100% free, you don't even need to register!

Who is the ITidiots podcast aimed at?

Anyone really! We have had positive comments from across the board. An IT Manager has recommended it to his staff. People studying towards their Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) qualification have also left good comments. Somebody actually mailed in to say "I have no idea what a domain is, but I am going to follow you guys because it looks fun".

What Technologies are covered?

At present we are building the Active Directory infrastructure, so we are using Microsoft Windows Server 2003 as a base. So far we have added DHCP and DNS services to the network. Once the network has been built up we will choose a relevant vendors mail server, sql server and management server.

How can I get hold of the episodes?

There are many ways to get hold of the episodes. by far the simplest way is to subsctibe to our RSS feed using your favorite podcast client, for me this is definetely iTunes. Incidently you can also find us in the Technology section of the podcast directory on iTunes, just search for "IT idiots". You can also download the episodes individualy from 'The Episodes' link on the front page. Oh yeah, the current episode is also available in steaminig format so you can watch via our website.
    I have swapped emails with Nicky/Nick and they are happy for us to suggest future podcasts and as each podcast is released it will be announced in here. So far they have 37 episodes ... and cover a wide variety of subjects, from Group Policy to Joomla, from Mac Minis to Ubuntu.

Happy watching.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: IT Idiots

I'm afraid I spent half the time thinking "Get on with it" and looking for my virtual rotten tomato; but I do appreciate the work gone in to them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Perhaps a few that are more concise and aimed at the higher levels of experience?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Perhaps a few that are more concise and aimed at the higher levels of experience?
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? ITIdiots? Unless they set up a site for professionals / advanced hobiests, even better if it was focused towards those in the education sector..... Wait, isnt that edugeek?

I see what you are suggesting but they are trying to cater for the basics and using Shabih as a guinea pig. The advanced stuff may be difficult to test out. Maybe a ITidiots / edugeek partnership to provide the more advanced things.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I don't know about anyone else, but my media player is furnished with a 'fast forward' button. Allowing me to skip through the sections I find tedious or irrelevant.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I must have the same media player Geoff, mine does that too :P

The pace just seems very slow and they spend too much time messing about in my opinion.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? ITIdiots? Unless they set up a site for professionals / advanced hobiests, even better if it was focused towards those in the education sector..... Wait, isnt that edugeek?

I see what you are suggesting but they are trying to cater for the basics and using Shabih as a guinea pig. The advanced stuff may be difficult to test out. Maybe a ITidiots / edugeek partnership to provide the more advanced things.
    If I were the "ITidiots" I would get very insulted by some of the suggestions on here today. I have watched the casts from the beginning, and to be honest think they fill an extremely good niche market. But to say that if they were to come into some kind of partnership with Edugeek (as though that had any pulling power whatsoever) is to make a mockery of what they have already done.

Edugeek is Edugeek. And don't be fooled about the status of this site. It's good, but it isn't that good. In the corridors beyond people talk you know

Itidiots is a podcast for people on their way to MCSE who want a bit of light-hearted education with their beer. Keep the two separate for someone's sake. At least for our sanity if nothing else.

No offence intended- both are good resources IN THEIR NICHE.

Peter
    Still working at this late hour plotting things for schools somewhere near you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Nicky and Nick are interested in seeing if there is anything that we would like them to include.

The podcasts were not created for us, but have many things that might be of use to us, especially if you are like me and have student placements or if you have junior techies with little experience.

Yes, it would be ideal if we could do our own version specific to EduGeek members ... but with limited time and resources this has not been possible on a regular basis (or even an irregular basis!)

Considering that the podcasts are done free of charge and in a light-hearted manner, I think they are good value for money ... let's face it, they don't have the financial backing of a large multi-national software company or the backing of major educational establishements to help them with this (Technet Webcasts and MacEnterprise Webcasts respectively).

Thank Post

is there a way that i can make the podcast larger on screen?i'm having a look at some back episodes and want to be able to skip .forward/backwards and make the picture larger (i have limited bandwith so can't download to watch so am viewing online.

Thank Post

Not knocking the material as I haven't had time to check it out yet, but a warning that the main banner on the site might be a little NSFW would be good! Last thing I need is to open up a site with a whacking great AdultCakes advert at the top of it... :S

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uraken
    is there a way that i can make the podcast larger on screen?i'm having a look at some back episodes and want to be able to skip .forward/backwards and make the picture larger (i have limited bandwith so can't download to watch so am viewing online.
    No, you need to download the episode and view it in a traditional media player.

Thank Post

I have to say I enjoyed their POD casts. It remindes me of a sort of fantasy football for geeks crossed with the ITcrowd(how much do the hosts look like badiel and skinner) It would be great if they could get famous IT people in for chats.

At times the technical content can be a bit thin on the ground but I would certainly tune in if it was on TV.

Thank Post

does anyone know of similar sites covering similar topics? would love to see a video tutorial on microsoft learning gateway ideally, sharepoint on IT idiots was a great eye opener!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Because fo the change in MSLG to using Sharepoint 2007 and SLK (amongst other changes) it will be another few moths before the really good resources come out for that.

I would keep your eye out on the uk Technet site for training sessions in Reading, or seeing if there are any spaces left on the Technet tour.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There's a couple of audio podcasts that I listen to that cover similar ground to ITidiots.

Casting from the Server Room
    In the Trenches

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast