+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, IT Idiots in Training and Courses; Originally Posted by OutToLunch Not knocking the material as I haven't had time to check it out yet, but a ...
    Thank Post

Re: IT Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch
    Not knocking the material as I haven't had time to check it out yet, but a warning that the main banner on the site might be a little NSFW would be good! Last thing I need is to open up a site with a whacking great AdultCakes advert at the top of it... :S

The cakes were better than the podcast

Thank Post

When I accessed the site I was presented with some nudie rudie pics - they should be more careful as to who they have as sponsors.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'll pass that on.

Thank Post

Same, not good on the NSFW banners!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I don't see them, but our web filter kills ads. :P

Thank Post

I think if we filter properly at local level (i.e. schools' level) then this shouldn't be much of an issue. Problem is there aren't many schools that actually do have this kind of filtering and they instead rely on local authority filtering. Nothing wrong with that, except it isn't idiot proof (pun intended).

I will look into this one.

Peter

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Problem is there aren't many schools that actually do have this kind of filtering and they instead rely on local authority filtering.
    Actually I think a lot of schools have no choice but to accept filtering at LEA/RBC level.

Thank Post

I put some of the Google adsense text adverts on my site. This type of advertising is 'context sensitive' suggesting that the text ads (or banner ads if you wish) that are displayed on your site will be related to the topic of the page itself.....
    When I first put the adsense stuff on , I got numerous adult dating and afro caribean dating site adverts. I immediately panicked, logged into my google account and blocked all of the sites etc.

On searching through my meta tags and content, I could find no reference to anything that may have caused this. Sometimes it seems, google just gets it wrong...

Do give IT Idiots the benefit of the doubt regarding their adverts, it may not be their choice, just a case of blocking inappropriate ads under a competetive ad filter...

Cheers
    N

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by PageZ
    Do give IT Idiots the benefit of the doubt regarding their adverts, it may not be their choice, just a case of blocking inappropriate ads under a competetive ad filter...
    I got the impression from the text above the advert "Help Sponsor The Show Buy A Cake" that the banner was a static one from a chosen advertiser - it's certainly the only one I've seen on the site in the few times I've been back to it, and it's most definitely NSFW...

Thank Post

I will happily stand corrected, I do understand that people have affiliates to their sites. I mainly use the google sevice however and was pointing out that it can be flawed and needs careful checking if you are running a family friendly site.

Cheers
    Mr B

Thank Post

Message From the Idiots

Hi Guys,

Just to identify myself I'm Nick from ITidiots and I thought I would cover a couple of the points you have raised.

Firstly I'm glad that people are taking an interest in the show, from the outset we knew it was not going to be to everyones liking, secondly we have had to learn as we progressed.

If you are going to judge the show then I strongly urge you to do it based on the last 10 or 15 episodes. We have responded to feedback over the months and done three things.

1. Dropped Shabih (it was never going to work now was it ;-) )
    2. Cut out the off topic banter (we learnt we are not digg or twit very quickly)
    3. As a whole reduced the epiosdes to around 35 mins on topic.

The idea behind the show is to introduce people to technologies, get them excited enough to take a look and learn from themselves. We are not here to spoon feed people as it would take months to cover a topic and everyone would switch off (or sleep).

The cake sponsor is my idea, I have now put a very clear notice about the advert making people aware of the sexually explicit content. I appreciate all the points raised but I have received an enormous amount of good feedback (people who appreciated the humor).

We are happy to cover the topics you want and accept your feedback, tell us what you don't like and we will take a look at the general consensus.

As far as viewing the show, yes it is a podcast but you can and should be subscribing via the rss feed, download the full sized episodes which scale fullscreen. If you are new to this then start out by downloading iTunes and subscribing to the show.

Enjoy,

Nick.

Thank Post

Re: Message From the Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by itidiots
    The cake sponsor is my idea, I have now put a very clear notice about the advert making people aware of the sexually explicit content. I appreciate all the points raised but I have received an enormous amount of good feedback (people who appreciated the humor).
    Maybe crossed wires here - I myself have no problem with the actual cake or the site it links to. Never heard of it before and it's a pretty funny idea. Really, for the most part this isn't your problem or something you should have to warn about... Your site isn't aimed specifically at schools or it really would be a bad choice of things to request sponsorship for!

It's clear from the banner what kind of site you're going to get if you click on it, and that itself is the problem for most viewers in education - the content of the banner is explicit enough that eyebrows would be raised if anyone wandered into my office and found me viewing the site with it in clear view... This could only be solved by removing the banner itself from the main page and isn't something I would expect you to have to do.

My original comment here was just to the effect that if someone is going to post a link and suggest people view the site on a forum aimed at school techies, they should have warned that the banner which would be displayed was not going to be school safe - not that anyone at itidiots is responsible for this or should feel the need to change their site because of a subsection of their viewers.

Cheers,

Ben

Thank Post

Just to reiterate, while the banner is there and visible you wont get many if any education visitors, its jobs worth you know lol

Thank Post

Judging by the link through stats and where they are coming from not only is ITidiots getting a good amount of visits from educational establishments, a large number are going to take a sneak peak at adultcakes.co.uk too 8O

Nick.

Thank Post

Probably just assesing the severity of the linked site to consider its filtering status.... right..... guys....??? lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast