+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, Best way to get MS Certified in Training and Courses; I am thinking of trying to get MSCE's or somthing to backup my experience with some qualifications. After running a ...
    Thank Post

Best way to get MS Certified

I am thinking of trying to get MSCE's or somthing to backup my experience with some qualifications.

After running a Vanilla XP/Server 2003 network for 7 years, and now 2008 Server and Windows 7, as well as experence in NT 4/Windows 2000 i am guessing a lot of courses will be showing me what i already know.

Whats the best and easiest way for me to get Certified?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I am thinking of trying to get MSCE's or somthing to backup my experience with some qualifications.
    First decide what route you want to do. The older MCP track is Tier related (eg MCDST is tier 1, MCSA is tier 2, etc.), whereas the newer MCTS/MCITP route is more job related (eg there are all 3 tiers in Desktop Support, etc).

After running a Vanilla XP/Server 2003 network for 7 years, and now 2008 Server and Windows 7, as well as experence in NT 4/Windows 2000 i am guessing a lot of courses will be showing me what i already know.
    Don't fall into that "trap" of thinking that way, that may be the case for the lower exams - but not for the higher ones (in my experience of both sitting them myself and teaching the courses). There are always gaps in knowledge, plus it's actually doing it Microsoft's way. Added to that questions that start with: "Using the least amount of administrative steps..." (I'm saying this without breaking the NDA).

I've worked with NT4, working in a multi-site/multi-domain organisation, worked with the rest of the IT Team to upgrade the NT4 domain to a Windows 2003 domain. I now work in a multi-domain, single-site organisation and have upgrade the domain from 2000 -> 2003 -> 2003 r2 -> 2008 -> 2008 r2 with the senior tech. Added to that I have worked, on the client side, with NT4 up to the current Windows 7. I have done helpdesk, field Service and workshop; worked my way up to IT manager. However I don't say these things to boast of what I've done, I say these things to say that even I have failed a good handful of exams, even after studying for them.

Whats the best and easiest way for me to get Certified?
    That is a very fuzzy question, as what may be the best way for one, may not be the best way for another. Generally speaking study for each exam, one at a time. How you study for them (class-based, self-study or a combination) is up to you. You will have to sit the Microsoft exam(s) at any Prometric testing centre.

The easiest way of getting Microsoft certified is taking 1 Microsoft exam and the 4 easiest exams that I've come across (again this may be different to others) are these: 70-271, 70-272 (these two make up the MCDST, but are individual exams/qualifications in their own right), the 70-620 (vista client) and the 70-680 (windows 7 client).

Just one word of advice - stay away from braindumps. If/When caught you could face the following:
    1. Decertification
    2. Ban from further/future exams and in some cases
    3. Legal action.

-ken

3. Thanks to wagnerk from:

TheITCrowd (20th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Just done the 70-680 and 70-685 and although a little difficult they are probably the easiest way to get MCTIP in desktop support for windows 7. Easiest and cheapest way to do them is buy the MS press book and get one other additional set of practice questions. With your experience it should not be long to get up to the required level to pass these tests.

Thank Post
    it's also worth doing a few free test exams to see where the gaps in your knowledge lie.

Thank Post
    I totally agree with this, previously working with the technologies will help you get through the material faster as you don't have to remember everything in the books, as like you said you will already know certain things.

I have just passed 70-271 and am sitting 70-272 in a few weeks I also have the books for 70-680 and 70-685 next on my list before moving on to MCSA and MCSE. Finding it relatively straight forward though but like wagnerk said its all about doing things the "Microsoft" way.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread