+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, ITIL V3 Foundation Certificate in Training and Courses; Hi Guys, Read some similar threads on this but would like to ask a few questions. Would this be suitable ...
    Thank Post

ITIL V3 Foundation Certificate

Hi Guys,

Read some similar threads on this but would like to ask a few questions.

Would this be suitable for an ICT Technician? As hopefully I want to progress up the ladder eventually.

Self Study? Can you just buy a book, read it and take the exam? Any recommendations on good books? How long did it take you?

How much is just the exam?

Short course? I heard they are some short courses. What prices and duration are these? Do they come with the exam price included? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    I took the 3 day course - it was very good and passed but that might have been becuase I did the course.

You can certainly self study and take the exams - make sure you learn all the terms and acrynoms.

It also depends on which way you see your career going, ITIL is great for all IT industries but if you are going to stay in education then FITS would be easier (less to know then)

A.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I can’t help with all your questions but I can add the little I know. I have the ITIL V3 Foundation Certificate. It was an intensive 3 day course with a multiple choice exam at the end. It was hard work but actually quite interesting. I think it cost around £900 but work paid for it.

I work within an ITIL based service desk environment so we try and get all our service desk staff and technicians some level of training in it. If you were to apply for a job here, having prior knowledge of ITIL would be very beneficial but we don’t expect our candidates to do so.

Hopes this helps a little. Good luck.

Regards,

Ian

Thank Post
    I did it from work at a very good price (3 day course as well), very useful for managing your service and also sounds good when going further up the chain to network management etc

Thank Post
    You can do it self study (I did) and there are a variety of good books available. I used the one from The Art of Service (an Oz company) as it also gave access to their online training which helped a lot. Just check Amazon for books and you'll see the most common ones people order.

However, be warned, the Foundation is *very* dry and boring !

Working in a school you might be better off looking at FITS rather than ITIL (unless you're thinking of moving into the business environment at some point). PM me if you want to know any more or have a look at some of the posts over at Certification forums UK computer A+ Network+ MCSE MCSA MCP CCNA discussions exams study guides

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love The Art Of Service stuff ... used to listen to their podcast all the time. Must re-subscribe to that ....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    ...Would this be suitable for an ICT Technician?...
    Yes, the foundation level is suitable for any level.

...Self Study? Can you just buy a book, read it and take the exam? Any recommendations on good books? How long did it take you?...
    Yes you can self-study for the exam. I used this book (however here is the updated one) and the CBTNuggets (however one or the other would have been suitable, I just have a short attendtion span with something this boring). It took me a week to self-study for the exam.

...How much is just the exam?...
    About £100, give or take. I took the exam over 2 years ago. However I do remember the ITIL exam is cheaper thru EXIN (about £10-£15 cheaper than ISEB).

-Ken

8. Thanks to wagnerk from:

JoeBloggs (21st September 2010)

Thank Post
    The University of York are hosting a 3 day ITIL v 3 foundation course on the 1-3rd November 2010 and again on the 20-22 December at York.

Pricing is part funded and so for schools it will be just £495 per person, the exam can be taken but this is an extra cost. Contact it-academy@york.ac.uk for more information.

10. Thanks to AndrewBettany from:

tazz (14th October 2010)

Thank Post
    I did the 3 day ITIL course at York Uni last week. It was a good course and very informative, the tutor was excellent and really knew his stuff but also had industry relevant experience.

I also bought the book wagnerk recommended and it's really good. I hope to sit the exam in the new year.

Thank Post
    I did the 3 day ITIL course at York Uni last week. It was a good course and very informative, the tutor was excellent and really knew his stuff but also had industry relevant experience.

I also bought the book wagnerk recommended and it's really good. I hope to sit the exam in the new year.
    Good luck with that, let us know how you get on.

Just wondering at just short of £600, any reason why you went for the ITIL v3 Foundation (which btw is a level 3 qualification according to the BCS) instead of FITS lvl 4 Practitioner certification (it is also based on ITIL)?

-Ken

Thank Post
    Sure, there was two main reasons.

I was able to get some EU Business funding, which got the price down to about £200.
    I also do not currently work in Education, so figured I would go with ITIL.

Thank Post
    @wagnerk - ask an agency what FITS is then ask an agency what ITIL is! In short, they'll know ITIL and very few will know FITS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread