+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Courses and Training Thread, OU Does Microsoft.... in Training and Courses; I received my study materials today and when I look at the course on my Student Home page it says ...
    Thank Post
    I received my study materials today and when I look at the course on my Student Home page it says the TM128 website will be available from the 20th September, so not long now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still no news on the appeal (like many in Northants!) and just had to shell out on new MFS and a scanner at home. It'll have to be next year now ... or do it outside of OU and get it accredited afterwards.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Still no news on the appeal (like many in Northants!) and just had to shell out on new MFS and a scanner at home. It'll have to be next year now ... or do it outside of OU and get it accredited afterwards.
    I take it you mean an appeal against the Pay & Benefits scheme?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Modey View Post
    I take it you mean an appeal against the Pay & Benefits scheme?
    Yep, but rather than take the thread more OT let's just say that a number of people are appealing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Modey View Post
    Well depending on what is your nearest regional centre, then I may well be seeing you in early October as I'm going to be tutoring this course (for the East Midlands region). If there is a lot of demand for it nationwide then there may well be multiple tutors assigned to the course.
    I'm signed up to this course in the East Midlands though I'm up in Derbyshire.

PEO
    Thank Post
    what does this course get you exactly

Thank Post
    Credits towards an OU degree in a nutshell. The second two modules of the course also happen to map directly to a couple of Server 2008 MSCTS's in terms of the training material. So in theory after doing the course you would be in a position to also sit the exams and gain the certs. That isn't really the point of the course though.

8. Thanks to Modey from:

PEO (9th September 2010)

PEO
    Thank Post
    Thank you for clarifying. so how long would It take to earn a degree if I was to do all levels?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    Thank you for clarifying. so how long would It take to earn a degree if I was to do all levels?
    I think that's quite an open ended question as there are lots of different ways to achieve a degree through the OU. Your best bet would be to have a look on the OU site, particularly at the Computing courses. Here is a link to some general info about OU degrees though and what's required in order to pass one.

BD - BA/BSc Open degree - Open University Qualification

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    I looked to try and work that out and got completely lost in a confusing mess of OU, its worse than trying to do the maths on the all the combination's for UCAS with the 6th form!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Simple answer is down to how much time you have.

Typical OU degree is 360 points (with honours) and depending on the degree you want to do there are fixed courses to do, and at fixed levels (level 1, level 2 and level 3).

A typical person might choose to opt to do 60 points a year ... this could be a single 60 point course or 2x 30 points courses (or even 1x 30 and 3x 10) ... you usually have to do at least 60 points from each level (1, 2, &3) but it varies a bit. Some folk will push themselves and do 90 or 120 points in a year (basically, the equivalent of doing 1 year of a full-time degree course at Uni) ... remembering that level 1 courses are easier and take less study time than level 3 courses.

I was doing Computing and ICT but am moving over to an open Degree now to have more flexibility of courses (I *really* don't want to do a bunch of Maths/programming courses). Depending on what degree you are on you have a set amount of time to 'cash in' a course you have done. With the BSc(Hons) in Computing and ICT one of my courses is now defunct, but I can still cash it in with an Open degree as long as I complete it within x years.

The OU do have advisors and they also hold open days regionally ... well worth getting along to one to chat with people (and get tips on studying).

13. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

john (9th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    That helps make it clear Tony thanks

This open degree is it recognised widely by employers ? Just I really wouldn't want to take a load of maths or programming which has put me off a lot of degrees from many providers as I found maths at school bad enough and programming just isn't for me.

Thank Post
    I did an Open BSc(Hons) degree and also did the Diploma in Computing and Diploma in Information Technology along the way. I have only used the qualification to go for one job since but found that it was as recognised as any other degree. The place that the OU fills in the market seems to be changing rapidly and acceptance is becoming more and more widespread as many youngsters choose to do a degree this way and work to pay for their studies rather than go to a "conventional" university.

For the record, I took 5 years to do my degree whilst working full-time. The last two years I did more courses but that was my choice to speed things up.

When I did my degree (1997 - 2001) the choice of courses was very theoretical, lots of Maths and Programming as Tony has said. Never have I programmed in SmallTalk or C++ again! There seems to be a big shift in the OU Computing dept now towards more practical courses such as TM128 and others which provide skills for use in most workplaces.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12