+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, Do the course or just read the book? in Training and Courses; Hi all, I've been considering doing an MCSE 2003 and have the following questions: 1) would you recommend actually attending ...

Thank Post

Do the course or just read the book?

Hi all,

I've been considering doing an MCSE 2003 and have the following questions:

1) would you recommend actually attending the courses (~1500 per course) or just buying a good book and sitting the exam?

2) Is it worth doing it now, or should i hold off until MCSE 2007 comes out?

I am educated to (almost) Masters Level (in process of doing project) and am a Systems Manager so i have quite a bit of hands on experience with Server 2003, AD, DHCP, DNS, IIS, GPO, and any other applicable abbreviations. If i do the courses, it will take me well over a year as i could probably only do them during half terms, or other holidays. Reading the books and sitting the exams would be a lot quicker and also have the obvious financial saving..........

If anybody has done either method your experiences . opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post

Re: Do the course or just read the book?

I went on the course. It's good, but if you work in IT and have access to the technologies you need to study you might be better building your own lab and getting some books.

For me it seemed that the course (70-290 was the one I attended) was geared towards those with little or no previous experience and a good way to bring you up to speed. They do warn you at the course though that you really need at least 18 months experience before taking the test.

Good luck!

Paul

Thank Post

The course will instruct you in Microsoft best practice, which will be in the exam. Well that's what I found when I did the 2151-2154 courses. In my experience, this "best practice" does not relate to what happens at the coal face, for a whole variety of very good reasons.

Thank Post

i find the technet website is a useful resource for the webcasts and vitual labs for the hands on knowledge.

Thank Post

Hi,

I buy the books and download TestOut training videos, which are interactive and have set exam questions.

I have also set up my own lab, if you get the MS press books they come with lab exercices. technet is great for information too and forums are always a good source to get info and help.

MCSE 2003 is worth doing, pluss you can upgrade to MCSE 2007 and not have to do all the MCSE 2007 exams.

theres loads of MCSE exam quastions on the net. save your pocket money and do it your self.

Well worth it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread