+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, Cross Curricular use of ICT in Training and Courses; Hi everyone, I've been asked to source some sort of training to promote the use of Cross Curricular ICT within ...

Thank Post

Cross Curricular use of ICT

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to source some sort of training to promote the use of Cross Curricular ICT within school. Unfortunately, with me being from a non-teaching background, my knowledge on this subject area is very weak (although my role is heading towards being responsible for this area, at the moment I am just starting out and don't really know where I am going with it) and as a result I am looking at bringing somebody in to provide this training.

Has anyone done something similar in the past? Is there a company who you've used to provide this type of training before?

Any suggestions you can offer on this will be greatly appreciated.

Iain

Thank Post
    Sharing best practice between departments is also good. We find that some of our best INSET for ICT is when departmental 'champions' run the sessions... basically showing off stuff that they've found works well for them.

Cross-curricular is pretty broad so you may want to get your brief narrowed... VLE usage or electronic communications pehaps? E-safety is another good one (MS can maybe help you there).

3. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Iain.Faulkner (25th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that Ric.

Having re-read the email, the phrase being used is "subject specific pupil use of ICT". My interpretation of this is that the school want to provide our staff with ideas on how they can get students using ICT within specifici subjects, ie they want someone to stand at the front and fire off ideas at them.

Any further thoughts?

Thank Post
    @Iain.Faulkner: IMHO that sounds like you want INSET in 'exciting new ways to engage learners through the use of ICT across the curriculum' (Tony would be pround of that phrase). The best things I've seen like this include several departments doing a project together. Your subject teachers will be able to help you with this... find an ICT lead from each department and sit them all down together. To make it easy, choose a year group and concentrate on that and get the teachers to find out any overlapping skills. Then it's just a case of creating a project.

You could even run the whole excercise as an INSET... get several groups of teachers (1 teacher from each department in each group) and assign them a year group/ability level concentrating on KS3. Spend time at the end of the INSET discussing each project with everyone to distill the ideas.

You can probably buy these things off the shelf but I think it's probably better for your staff to work it out together since they know your pupils best.

6. 2 Thanks to Ric_:

GrumbleDook (25th May 2010), Iain.Faulkner (25th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Iain

Three websites to look at (amongst many) are Teachmeet , EdTechRoundUp and Tom Barrett : Flavors.me

Many of the teachmeets have been recorded so you can get ideas from there, there was an online Teachmeet run through EdTechRoundUp last year which can be watched again on justin.tv and Tom Barrett on edte.ch has links to lots of ideas ... usually 24 ways to use ... with examples for blogs, twitter, prezi, voicethread, voki, etc.

There is a TeachMeet in Blackpool on 16th June ... try and get someone there.

8. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Iain.Faulkner (26th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks again Ric and Grumbledook :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread