+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, CCNA Pass mark? in Training and Courses; What is the pass mark for the CCNA? So far I have taken 7 chapter exams and have averaged 85%....is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Blog Entries

CCNA Pass mark?

What is the pass mark for the CCNA?

So far I have taken 7 chapter exams and have averaged 85%....is that good enough?

Thank Post
    It's generally between 825 and 850 /1000. Cisco don't, or didn't when I took mine last year, post an exact pass mark.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ahh ok. Well out of the chapter exams, (the 10 that I have taken) I averaged 86.92 / 100, so can I safely assume that is a pass

*edit* retook a chapter exam and got 1 more question right and got slightly higher percentage mark!
    Last edited by nephilim; 18th May 2010 at 03:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Make sure that you take some other practice tests though. The typical questions in the teaching material are MCQs with a stem then choose from several options. However, in the real exams, there are several different formats, including typical MCQ, drag-and-drop and lab scenarios where you're presented with a network and have to access the router/switch configuration and either interrogate it or make some configurational changes.

My experience was that the book questions were insufficient to prepare me for what I encountered.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So the final exam for each semester is different compared to the chapter exams??? I am doing this all as home study and only have access to a virtual lab...

Thank Post
    what are you using to create a virtual lab?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    MIMIC Virtual Lab CCNA - which came as part of my course content materials

*EDIT*

Also did the mock final exam...

Got 40/50 on it...quite happy with that (although will be going over the materials to ensure I do better!!!)

Thank Post
    I did CCNA v3.1 rather than CCNA v4 at a college one day each week. There were four end of semester exams which were all online and similar to the individual end of chapter exams. Passing these allowed me to progress to the next semester's work. At the end of the second semester, I took an "external" exam which covered the material in semesters 1 and 2 and it is this exam which was different from those that I had experienced previously. Passing this exam got me ICND. There was a similar process with an "external" exam after semesters 3 and 4. Passing this exam converted my ICND to full CCNA.

I know that the names of the qualifications and material covered by each exam have changed but the bottom line is get practice with as many examination style questions as possible. As I said before, only a proportion are the typical MCQ "choose the correct answer(s) from a selection" and I know that some former colleagues at college had a nasty surprise when they took the major "external" exams.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think I might have some issues with the "major external exams" as you put it, as I have had no physical access to a lab, and virtual access (with no tutor available at the times I do it due to working constraints) makes it very difficult to get on with! Only so much I can do in terms of reading and virtual labs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I think I might have some issues with the "major external exams" as you put it, as I have had no physical access to a lab, and virtual access (with no tutor available at the times I do it due to working constraints) makes it very difficult to get on with! Only so much I can do in terms of reading and virtual labs.
    Have a look at CCNA CCNP Cisco Security Certification Exam, CCNA Boot Camp CBT I used his study guide as a revision tool and found it really useful. He also does rack rentals where you can play around with real gear. I have never compared others so don't know how keen his pricing is.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    CCNA1 Exploration (V4) which I did last year was 70% (i was peeved when i got 69.99%)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ouch!!!! My weighted mark thus far is 79.2%, so I hope I hit 70% or above to have passed on all of the chapters and final exam!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tookthe final test earlier and came out with a 90.1% mark on it whch bought my weighted score up to 88.32%

I am well happy with that! Now onto part 2!!!

Thank Post
    I am just completing CCNA Exploration Pt2/4 at the moment! On CH7 of the Routing concepts section. Who did you follow the course with? I have been using Packet Tracer for the examples, actually a really useful piece of software. Got 96% so far as an average of the end of chapter exams and first part exam, but am finding the RIPv2 chapter confusing becuase of the way its written! but maybe thats just me! O well!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did the course all by myself, no tutors, no online help, just the books, virtual lab and packet tracer....however I am happy to work with you on this if you want, just give me a week or so to catch up (If I get released for the part 2 soon!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast