+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, MCITP Qualification in Training and Courses; Ok, so my Microsoft Press books have come today and i'm ready to start working my way through the exams, ...
    Thank Post

MCITP Qualification

Ok, so my Microsoft Press books have come today and i'm ready to start working my way through the exams, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for self study, as a course is too much for me and the school has already agreed to buy the books and pay for my exams.

I have a quad-core HP PC with 4Gb Ram at home ready and waiting to be used for studying on, I was thinking of using VMWare Workstation or something similar to virtualise my servers as I work through the books. Can anyone else suggest anything I may need to help get through the exams.

I've decided to do the 3 core exams that count towards the Server Administrator and Enterprise Administrator first, then, depending on how confident I feel I may go for the final Server Administrator exam and then the final 2 Enterprise Administrator exams.

Thank Post
    Tips:

1. Do not just use one form of study resource, use multiple. For example two different books, CBT's, audio books, flash cards, etc...

2. Don't just follow the books, experiment with the OS...

3. Use legit practice tests (eg Preplogic, Transcender, Measure-Up) and stay away from braindumps...

4. If you can, grab yourself a study buddy. When I was studying for it, the extra pair of eyes really helped

5. Don't rush & take your time.

-ken

3. 2 Thanks to wagnerk:

dezt (23rd February 2010), lionsl2005 (23rd February 2010)

Thank Post

Cool

What I used for my MCSE training was to have the MS-Press books in their eBook form (easier for me to read) - I also used VirtualBox as opposed to VMWare as VBox is free and light.

As for tips and tricks... when the MS-Press books say 'Exam-Tip' make sure you read the tip and anything related to it, you'd be surprised how many "light coverage" items are actually more than light in the exam.

I'm working toward my MCITP:Enterprise Admin - but you said 2 exams? I was aware only of the 1 exam - 70-647.

Az

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael78 View Post
    What I used for my MCSE training was to have the MS-Press books in their eBook form (easier for me to read) - I also used VirtualBox as opposed to VMWare as VBox is free and light.

As for tips and tricks... when the MS-Press books say 'Exam-Tip' make sure you read the tip and anything related to it, you'd be surprised how many "light coverage" items are actually more than light in the exam.

I'm working toward my MCITP:Enterprise Admin - but you said 2 exams? I was aware only of the 1 exam - 70-647.

Az
    I'm currently studying for 70-270, next step on the road to MCSA. I'm also using VirtualBox on my laptop to run a few server/client vms to practice some of the theory.

My question though... where did you get the MS Press books in eBook form? The one part of studying I hate is the huge books and I think reading from an eBook would be much more up my street

Also has anyone here used CBTNuggets and have any feedback? Have been looking at resources to use in addition to the MSPress book and found these, although they're very expensive I was wondering if anyone had found these valuable?

Thank Post
    Try not to skip through bits of the book that you 'think' you know, it's surprising how often you know most of an area then suddenly find yourself saying 'oh I didn't know that'. You don't want 'that' coming up in the exam. This is expecially important with parts of Windows that aren't very often used in the field but MS would like to push, you don't have much experience of it but MS are going to test you on it.

I've found the exam cram series of books to be great when you think you're ready to take the exam, also if you really think you know a subject well an exam cram book can be good enough I passed 70-210 with just the exam cram book.

7. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

tmcd35 (23rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael78 View Post
    ...I'm working toward my MCITP:Enterprise Admin - but you said 2 exams? I was aware only of the 1 exam - 70-647...
    If you have the MCSE already, then in order to get the MCITP: EA you need two exams, the 70-649 (upgrade exam) and the 70-647 (Pro exam). Otherwise it's five exams, see here.

-Ken

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jack0w View Post
    ...Also has anyone here used CBTNuggets and have any feedback? Have been looking at resources to use in addition to the MSPress book and found these, although they're very expensive I was wondering if anyone had found these valuable?
    I have, and I have to say that they are a very good resource. Not as dry as books, that's for sure. Other vendor's that I've used in the past include: Trainsignal & Learnkey. Both again very good

-Ken

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jack0w View Post

My question though... where did you get the MS Press books in eBook form? The one part of studying I hate is the huge books and I think reading from an eBook would be much more up my street
    These come on a disc with the book when you purchase the MS Press Books.

Not sure if you can buy the ebooks only though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Working through the books now. I'm reading the e-Book form and running the practise test in a VM. Cookie Monster is right - don't skip anything it's amazing some of the little nuggets you pick up in areas you thought you were familiar with.

The only problem I have is time - must find the time to study! Been stuck half way through Chapter 7 for a couple of weeks now

Thank Post
    im currently studying at the min, finding it difficult to find them time, id say thats the biggest challenge,

Thank Post
    I'll have a see at whether i can get the CBT Nuggets, i've seen them before and thought they looked good. I've used exam cram books before for my 2000 MCSA and found them useful

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sandeep2504 View Post
    These come on a disc with the book when you purchase the MS Press Books.

Not sure if you can buy the ebooks only though.
    Thanks for that, I'd taken out the XP Evaluation CD and installed from it although I didn't actually browse it, assumed it was a standard XP CD!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dezt View Post
    I'll have a see at whether i can get the CBT Nuggets, i've seen them before and thought they looked good. I've used exam cram books before for my 2000 MCSA and found them useful

So are you an MCSA on 2000? Why don't you take then 2003 upgrade exam you can then upgrade that to a 2008 cert. The whole process would only take 2 exams.

Thank Post
    the 2003 upgrade exam has been retired now, i should have done the exam before it was retired but never kept up with studying, so i've got to start from scratch now

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @wagnerk:

I agree when I did mine the actual Microsoft books which were provided did seem a little dry and machine like, so another thumbs up for trainsignal and CBTnuggets.

Another tip is don't take short cuts even though you know the keyboard shortcuts as in the exams it is all mouse click orientated and the routes to folders, files and systems is exactly as Microsoft teach you so shortcuts are out of the window (4 years since I did mine so might have changed but I doubt it)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast