+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, n00b Network Manager Qualifications! in Training and Courses; Hi guys, I currently work in a secondary school with ~600 computers, and have been there for 2 years, straight ...
    Thank Post

n00b Network Manager Qualifications!

Hi guys,

I currently work in a secondary school with ~600 computers, and have been there for 2 years, straight from sixth form. About a month after I started as an ICT technician, our Network Manager went on sick leave, and we never saw him again. I then was in effect "promoted" to doing pretty much all the network managerial tasks (I learnt a LOT those first few months!!) and was very much thrown in at the deep-end, as nobody else in the school had the skills to run a network (and neither did I to be honest!)

Now the school is closing at the end of the year, and a new academy opening in its place. We are all being job-matched to the new jobs in the academy, and there are 2 jobs for the area i wish to work, ICT Technician and Network Manager.

Now I literally only have my a-levels as qualifications, but management know of my capabilities, and know that I am more than capable of running/maintaining/repairing/upgrading our current network. We will be staying in the current building until late 2012 (when we will be moving into a new build with new infrastructure etc.)

I would love to go for the Network Manager job, as a standard ICT Technician is a bit of a downgrade from my current job, but I need to get some qualifications to back up my skills.

I literally have no idea where to start, at all, and would greatly appreciate any help you could give me with regard to any qualifications/courses I should be on (Microsoft, Cisco etc.)

Thanks very much!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the job training speaks more than qualifications in my opinion, go for the network managers job!

But that's just me.

Thank Post
    As above go for the managers job but I do know that MS certs do help you get through the paper sift. You can always mention that ypu're working towards a couple.

I took the Vista version of this exam and it really wasn't all that difficult, i'm sure you have windows client configuring and troubleshooting experience now.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...aspx?ID=70-680

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by olivarrr View Post
    management know of my capabilities, and know that I am more than capable of running/maintaining/repairing/upgrading our current network.
    Discuss your training opportunities with them - this sounds like the perfect time for you to get the school to sponsor you to do a degree or a bunch of certifications.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Also look into the FITS qualifications. The practioner course is available now and the manager course comes online soon.

The FITS Foundation - Professional qualifications and support for ICT staff within education

6. Thanks to Ric_ from:

tmcd35 (18th February 2010)

Thank Post
    problem is, our support staffs CPD budget is practically zero, and all these MS qualifications cost a fortune!

I suppose I could mention that in the interview - "Well I would love to have gone on training courses, but the funding wasn't there. Hopefully in the new academy the funding will be" etc.

Thank Post
    I don't think 2 years experience, at your age, is enough to warrant a NM position.
    Having said that however, schools don't appreciate what it means to be an NM so you might get lucky, but I'm sure there are people out there with more experience and qualifications to back up the experience.

Perhaps you should consider going to Uni to get a degree in something IT related, that would open up far more opportunities for you.

Just my opinion!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    I don't think 2 years experience, at your age, is enough to warrant a NM position.
    Having said that however, schools don't appreciate what it means to be an NM so you might get lucky, but I'm sure there are people out there with more experience and qualifications to back up the experience.

Perhaps you should consider going to Uni to get a degree in something IT related, that would open up far more opportunities for you.

Just my opinion!
    At what age does one meet the criteria where 2 years experience warrants a NM position?

I fail to see how age matters.

If i were you olivarrr, I'd go for the NM role. They know you can do it. As for training, whilst they may not have enough in their budget to send you on a course, I'm sure they could afford a training manual or two. Then you just need a few Virtual Machines and you can learn an awful lot.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post

Just my opinion!
    I was a Network Manager at the age of 22 and done a bloody good job! school said I was the best they've ever had!

Plus I don't have hardly any major qualifications but I do a dam good job

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Discuss your training opportunities with them - this sounds like the perfect time for you to get the school to sponsor you to do a degree or a bunch of certifications.

--
    David Hicks
    You would have to be pretty lucky to find anyone willing to pay for this in the current climate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go for it. I got employed as a network manager here after aroudn a year and three-quarters as a technician at another school. Although admittedly I have a degree to back me up, it is still possible.

Remember that someone with 5 years experience of another system still has two years less experience of your system than you do. Practical knowledge counts for a lot; really push your advantage at interview time.

Thank Post
    I would say go for it.
    MCSE are probably best qualifications - look at windows 7 and server 2008 - if you only pass one you can say you are a Microsoft Professional!
    If little money available then get them to buy official MCSE books - pretty cheap from amazon and then just do exam when you are ready - only about 80 and can do in half a day at various centres.

Thank Post
    Go for the NM, you have had a taste of it and more importantly survived.
    You are also fortunate to have supportive EduGeekers so i don't see why not.

Just brush up on the following:
    Goverments 2020 Vision
    Childrens Plan
    VLES Moodle, Studywiz
    MIS's
    Other projects you can think of which will cut costs and improve work processes.

PM me if you require more assistance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    I would say go for it.
    MCSE are probably best qualifications - look at windows 7 and server 2008 - if you only pass one you can say you are a Microsoft Professional!
    If little money available then get them to buy official MCSE books - pretty cheap from amazon and then just do exam when you are ready - only about 80 and can do in half a day at various centres.
    MCSE only exists for 2003 now. They have changed the format for Server 2008. I imagine most HR departments will never understand this though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you not apply for both? - Just in case!

I think your age (even though you have the experience) may be a factor - it shouldn't be, but it depends on what the interviewers are looking for.

But I'm now an NM, got the job at 25 having had 3 years as a technician at another school and 3 years as an apprentice. CPD at the school was non existant too.

To be honest the apprenticeship, apart from giving me a couple of NVQ's was rubbish, it taught me nothing of value apart from professionalism - the systems were just too big to be given the responsibility of developing solutions myself as a 18-21 year old.

I've just done the FITS course (luckily the SWGfL ran the 1st course for free), it's a good management course and would look great on the cv!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast