+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, n00b Network Manager Qualifications! in Training and Courses; ...
    AIT
    Thank Post
    I am deputy system manager age 20. In reality I handle all the system support and the network manager is only the front of house.. I am also one of the directors of advanced it services the business George spencer school has started.

p.s. no qualifications no degree.

So go for it. You have done it for the past year so no reason why not. Must be something about you thatís got you this far in the first place ;-)

Good luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by olivarrr View Post
    problem is, our support staffs CPD budget is practically zero, and all these MS qualifications cost a fortune!

I suppose I could mention that in the interview - "Well I would love to have gone on training courses, but the funding wasn't there. Hopefully in the new academy the funding will be" etc.

I got the school to agree to some time and support, I bought the books and they paid for the exams. The exams are approx £100 a go but under the way they're now structured you don't need to pass 6+ exams to become and MCSE you can take smaller groups of exams. Just 2 exams will get you MCITP on client or server then you build them up. It's a better format now IMO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My qualification is a BTEC National Diploma in computer studies (2002 - 2004), and I became a network manager aged 21.

Reason being was that I am an exceptionally fast learner and I redesigned the network to be better, faster and more secure than the previous network manager had it.

I have been at my job now for 3 years (on saturday) and according to the ICT Co Ordinator (who has been at the school since it opened in the 70's), I am the best network manager they have had.

Working for me I have 2 degree students (who want practical experience to go with their degree course), as well as a gentleman Masters of Comp Sci (Networking) who had no experience before working for me.

Goes to show that practical experience can work for your favour than fancy pieces of paper - although thats not always the case.

Thank Post
    I am the Assistant ICT Network Manager at 18 years old here. I was very lucky - started p/t - proved myself, and moved up when I was full time. Go for it, you've definetly got nothing to lose.

Thank Post
    Reason being was that I am an exceptionally fast learner and I redesigned the network to be better, faster and more secure than the previous network manager had it.

I've done exactly the same myself. They seem to like me because the previous network manager sat in a cupboard all day in the dark, whereas I like to get involved with the kids and help staff with using ICT in the classroom etc.

I'll definately look into that Win7 configuration exam, as it seems like a step in the right direction, especially as we will most likely be moving to a server08/win7 network in the new build.

Thank Post
    In my experience if you're good enough you're old enough!

Apply for the job and even if you get knocked back it will be bloody good experience. NM jobs are tough to land so chance your arm.

Our NM doesn't have a degree or sack fulls of MS Certs but he's pretty damn useful NM.

Go for it!

Thank Post
    As pretty much everyone else has said, go for it. You not only have 2 years experience but 2 years experience at that particular school. Also as you've pointed out yourself you were thrown in the deep end and obviously managed the situation very well - something you should definitely highlight in your interview in strong positive terms. Try and throw in a few of those CV 'action words' that are thrown up by internet searches (i.e. effective, proficient, determined) but don't overdo it.

Get a book on one of the MS exams now and mention it to a few people that you are working towards certification then come interview time you can mention that you have taken the initiative. At the inevitable "any questions" point of the interview say although you realise money is tight is there any possibility the school could help in some way, perhaps by paying for exams, buying books, etc.
    Last edited by 36Degrees; 17th February 2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Spelling. D'Oh!

Thank Post
    I'd say go for it!

I've been at school I'm currently at for 4 years. Was an apprentice at 80 quid a week to start off with! Managed to land a general ICT Technician job after I finished my course (within 9 months), then 6 months later took the Network & Systems Administrator job after proving my skills and succeeding in a lot of the big projects I took on as the junior.

Much more responsibility, but if you know your stuff; I see no reason why you shouldn't go for it. I only have GCSEs and A-Levels to boot at the moment. Currently studying Cisco CCNA to enhance my prospects in the future though.

You don't need a degree if you've got the knowledge and are very good with the practical side of things. Degrees and MCSEs only teach you the book way of doing things which most of the time is a waste and won't make you instantly a network/systems admin person. An open mind and good problem solving skills will get you higher quicker. I also look after the general ICT Technicians in making sure they have jobs to do and keeping them challenged.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go for it ... I don't have the professional qualifications that some here have but through hard work, fast learning and putting in the extra effort to find out about things I *might* need to know (maybe not now but for possible future events) I have managed to get pretty far in 11 years.

I would recommend the FITS courses too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    You would have to be pretty lucky to find anyone willing to pay for this in the current climate.
    No, the original poster is under 25, there should be various funding available to provide training for them. This thread might come in handy:

Maybe hiring an assistant

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I would go for some Cisco Quals, preferably do your CCNA, or at least a CCENT. If you have been a network manager, and are as good as you say you are, then a couple of decent books from Cisco press will get you through the exams.

CCENT is really much the same as Network+ but with the Cisco flavour. CCNA adds basic routing, ACL's and a few other skils.

Cisco aren't the only network quals, but the are the 'industry standard'.

Speaking from the employer side of the fence, I allways look more favourably on the candidate who has shown the willingness to improve their quals.

For equal expirience, the guy who is working to become more knowledgeable wins everytime.

Age has very little to do with it, practical skills are more important

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whilst Cisco and Microsoft are the industry standard, also try to get some Linux quals in, just having them adds value to you!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Also look into the FITS qualifications. The practioner course is available now and the manager course comes online soon.

The FITS Foundation - Professional qualifications and support for ICT staff within education
    This is something I rearly need to do. Just had a look around the website and no mention of prices. Anybody here point me in the right direction?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I got my first NM job when I was only slightly older than that but I'd got just over a year of experience (and a degree) go for it I don't know why some of these comments are so negative.

Wes

Thank Post
    Have you tried the online cert route, sites like Brainbench offer free tests and certificationa and have been going some time now (I have Windows 98 & NT4 certs from them)

There are a considerable number of free exams too (although if you want a paper certificate you have to pay a few $)

PS I'm not connected to this site in any way other than holding some of their certifications and also putting some of my junior technicians through there tests as they could also not afford MS certifications.

Steve

Aptitude Test, Employment Screening, Assessment Testing, Online Personality Test - Brainbench

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast