+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, Training Targets in Training and Courses; I'm in the middle of reading the suggested threads that came up in the search, but thought i'd jot down ...

Thank Post

Training Targets

I'm in the middle of reading the suggested threads that came up in the search, but thought i'd jot down my ideas anyway as i've meant to post all week.
    It looks like i will eventually be getting some training and it's pretty much up to me what i can get.

I've been in the job for 3 years and had no training and only have my degree as a qualification.

Then with BSF and whatever else coming or not in 3 years time, i need to look at ripping their hand off for anything.

I need to go to my line manager with a training plan.

Basically i need to know, what i should be going for? It's been a while since i've looked at anything and what would be worth while.

My first instincts are go go for Microsoft Server quals, but i'm not totally sure how they're looked upon in the corporate world. Which ones? Would it help to do the Windows 7 qualification before picking up 2008?
    While there's a lot of stuff i know about Server 2003, there's a lot i don't. What i know i've picked up from being thrown int he deep end. Of course now it'll have to be Server 2008.

Maybe Cisco quals would look better on my CV. I just don't know.

I don't really know of any other quals out there, or what prospective employers / BSF bidders would be looking for.

Then how do i do them? Intense / Online / College type course?
    I'm not really a good 'reading learner', i have to get my hands dirty.

Sorry for this complete mess of a post, just jotted stuff down as i thought of it!

Any help appreciated.
    Cheers

Thank Post
    I took the MCITP Vista exam and it was pretty straight forward you could start there (well it'll be Windows 7 now). I then did the MCSA 2003 course which was ok as long as you know your stuff get the books and some play machines. The MCITP exams are broken down into smaller chunks which is good. I'd say the server 2008 and Exchange ones are good from an employer perspective you'll cover allot of bases with them. I'd then think about Cisco and maybe Linux + if you want to broaden your cover.

3. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

stu1892 (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Cheers.

What did the OS course include? Anything like remote deployment or would that be in the Server courses?

I'd be tempted to start with Windows 7 as we're still on XP and i'd expect it to be Windows 7 when BSF comes in.

However if it's very straight forward i don't know if i'd be wasting my time with it, if they come back and say i can only have one course this year or something along those lines.
    I should be able to get on with the Server course without a great knowledge of Vista or Windows 7 shouldn't i? I've only used them at home.

Thank Post
    Credit Toward Certification
    When you pass Exam 70-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring, you complete the requirements for the following certification(s):
    •MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration
    Exam 70-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring: counts as credit toward the following certification(s):
    •MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    •MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7
    •MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7
    So 70-680 gets you MCTS status then a second exam gets you an MCITP (I think I ended up with MCITP: Enterprise Administrator: Vista)

Take a look on the skills being measured tab, deployment is in there.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...ale=en-us#tab2

If they're only offering you one course i'd go for one of the server ones. For the client exam buy one of the Windows 7 books and teach yourself that alongside the other course. I read the Vista book did the practice questions at the back then booked the exam and passed.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 27th January 2010 at 02:58 PM.

6. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

stu1892 (28th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Might be worth checking whether your local colleges are members of the Microsoft IT Academy, Cisco Network Academy or CompTIA E2C programme. If so, they may offer the same courses as private sector training companies, but much cheaper. Before signing up, though, ask about success rates, instructor's previous experience, and if possible speak to current or past students about their experience.

Thank Post
    If you choose the self studying route dont forget with virtualisation you can take a hands on approach to learning.

The microsoft learning site has a section with a organisation chart and job descriptions and what qualifications you need to get those jobs.

Another alternative is asking the school to pay for either books or exam fees if you can afford one or the other.

I am currently self studying MCDST and i have put in a training request hoping my employers will contribute to exam fees and/or books.

You could also try signing up to the certforums website.

A lot advice on there.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

Is it worth me looking at Server+ etc before i look at MS Quals?

There's obviously a lot i'll understand from my own experience at work about a server but i'm worried there'll be some very 'basic' things i won't understand if i start on the Server 2008 stuff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stu1892 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

Is it worth me looking at Server+ etc before i look at MS Quals?

There's obviously a lot i'll understand from my own experience at work about a server but i'm worried there'll be some very 'basic' things i won't understand if i start on the Server 2008 stuff.

I'd be tempted to read the Server+ book to make sure you're familiar with it all I suspect having an IT degree you'll know most of it. Then i'd stick to the MS certs and Linux + they're the ones that will get you through HR paper sifts

Thank Post
    I may do that actually as I'm not confident with the likes of RAID, SCSI, SANs etc

I don't think I've done anything with RAID since the second year at Uni!

Thank Post
    I think A+ and Network+ give a good basic grounding before moving on to MS Certs, depending on how much you already know or how much practical experience you have. My experience of uni was that it was great for theoretical stuff, which is all very well if you were looking to become a software developer, but for tech support the vendor certs give much better coverage of what you actually need to know.

Thank Post
    just be aware compTIA are imposing a 3year limit on their certificates from 1st January 2011.

"anyone who is awarded an A+, Network+ or Security+ certification before the end of 2010 will have that qualification for life. The three-year limit will be instituted for anyone who gets certification after 1 January, 2011"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sandeep2504 View Post
    just be aware compTIA are imposing a 3year limit on their certificates from 1st January 2011.

"anyone who is awarded an A+, Network+ or Security+ certification before the end of 2010 will have that qualification for life. The three-year limit will be instituted for anyone who gets certification after 1 January, 2011"

Oh are they still doing that. Just for info MS backtracked on that and their certs are valid until the end of the product life.

15. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

sandeep2504 (29th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Oh are they still doing that. Just for info MS backtracked on that and their certs are valid until the end of the product life.
    Didn't even know that Microsoft were considering something similar!

I think Microsoft Certificates expiring naturally like you said until the end of the product life cycle makes more sense.

Thank Post
    Sorry for the lack of replies, i'm actually off work sick.

I've also had an email from my boss about e-skills qualifications. I can't say i'm too interested in them as they don't seem like official quals.

Anybody know anything about them?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stu1892 View Post
    Sorry for the lack of replies, i'm actually off work sick.

I've also had an email from my boss about e-skills qualifications. I can't say i'm too interested in them as they don't seem like official quals.

Anybody know anything about them?

I don't think it's anything that will help in your line of work especially if you have an IT degree.

ITQ - ITQ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast