+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, Where next? in Training and Courses; I've settled into a new IT role which I'm more than happy with BUT wish to further my training. I ...
    Thank Post

Where next?

I've settled into a new IT role which I'm more than happy with BUT wish to further my training.

I left university 2 years ago after completing the first year of a Computer Science degree, and have since worked in IT roles. I left purely for the fact that over the summer I actually found myself happier working and learning on the job than I did studying.

Anyway....

I'm thinking of self-educating myself through the Open University (to continue my degree), whilst continuing working Full-Time. I was wondering if anyone has done this? If so was their any difficulties you face?

Also has anyone transfered credits from one course, to another similar course? any troubles there?

Also am I right to assume that once I've done my degree, it will be a case of doing a full-time PGCE to go into teaching (yes, teaching), and thats the only way to go about it?
    Last edited by mossj; 1st November 2009 at 11:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Why dont you give Microsoft certification a try?

There is a website where you can take sample questions just to get a flavour of what the questions will be like, be aware some questions are fairly complex but hopefully by looking at the questions it will give you an idea of the sort of questions expected.

Its quite fun too if you into testing your knowledge.

http://www.microsoft.com/click/areyo...e/default.aspx

3. Thanks to ranj from:

mossj (7th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    Why dont you give Microsoft certification a try?

There is a website where you can take sample questions just to get a flavour of what the questions will be like, be aware some questions are fairly complex but hopefully by looking at the questions it will give you an idea of the sort of questions expected.

Its quite fun too if you into testing your knowledge.

http://www.microsoft.com/click/areyo...e/default.aspx
    I don't think having a Microsoft Cert will help as I have left a majority of the truely technical stuff behind me, and it's not somewhere I wish to revisit.

I can however see not having a degree holding me back.

t_h
    Thank Post
    I did/am doing almost the same thing. I did one year of a Computer Science degree (passed) and then kicked it into touch because I thought the teaching/delivery was terrible and wondered what I was paying for.

I'm now working full time and doing an ICT degree with the OU. I've passed the first stage (giving me a Certificate in IT & Computing) and am now onto level two. So far I've been really impressed and the workload is quite manageable for me. I didn't bother transferring my credit.

6. Thanks to t_h from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by t_h View Post
    I'm now working full time and doing an ICT degree with the OU. I've passed the first stage (giving me a Certificate in IT & Computing) and am now onto level two. So far I've been really impressed and the workload is quite manageable for me. I didn't bother transferring my credit.
    How many hours a week did you spend doing a level 1/2?

t_h
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    How many hours a week did you spend doing a level 1/2?
    It's really difficult to say in my situation, as some weeks I did next to nothing when I was particularly busy with work and then others I'd spend full days at a time on it. You need to plan ahead though as occasionally you get questions that rely on cooperating with other students so you need to time those right. So long as you keep on the ball you should be fine.

Officially, the OU say 1 credit point is worth 10 hours of study. So for example a 30 credit course requires 300 hours of study time over the duration. To be honest though, that's quite generous. I spent nowhere near as long as that and passed no problem, and wouldn't consider myself particularly exceptional. Bear in mind though that this is level 1, I expect level 2 to step up in difficulty.

9. Thanks to t_h from:

Thank Post
    ...I'm thinking of self-educating myself through the Open University (to continue my degree), whilst continuing working Full-Time. I was wondering if anyone has done this? If so was their any difficulties you face?
    I did my degree part-time, but in the evenings (2 evenings a week) first two years (to get my HNC) thru De Montford Uni, then transfered to UCN (now known as University of Northampton) to finish my BSc. For me it was cheaper than going thru the OU, plus it also helps interacting with other mature students and tutors twice a week.

...Also am I right to assume that once I've done my degree, it will be a case of doing a full-time PGCE to go into teaching (yes, teaching), and thats the only way to go about it?
    No that's not the only way to go about it, there's also the GTP route. Or if you want to teach in further education, rather than secondary education there's the CertEd, PTTLLS/CTTLLS/DTTLLS route.

You may also want to join/check out the IfL. I had to join them when I was a Lecturer for our local college.

-Ken

11. Thanks to wagnerk from:

Thank Post
    Also am I right to assume that once I've done my degree, it will be a case of doing a full-time PGCE to go into teaching (yes, teaching), and thats the only way to go about it?
    You can do degrees that give you qualified teacher status at the end of them, you might even get some credit for having already done the first year of a degree.

--
    David Hicks

13. Thanks to dhicks from:

mossj (8th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    You can do degrees that give you qualified teacher status at the end of them, you might even get some credit for having already done the first year of a degree.

--
    David Hicks
    I will look into that.

I think given the advice here and my current business/new media heavy employment, I'm going to go with an Open Degree that has a stong relation to new media and graphics but has one or two business/team management courses. Then after I always have the option to go a step further.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information