+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, Undergraduate funding? in Training and Courses; Hi, I looking to study abroad, I was wondering besides a student loan if there is anyway i can get ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

Undergraduate funding?

Hi,

I looking to study abroad, I was wondering besides a student loan if there is anyway i can get some kind of funding to help with fees etc?

Im pretty thick when it comes to things like this

Thanks

Z

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I looking to study abroad, I was wondering besides a student loan if there is anyway i can get some kind of funding to help with fees etc?
    You could try for a degree that includes a foreign exchange as part of the course. That's what I did, attending university in Canada for a year as part of my degree, with no extra fees to pay - UEA got a Canadian student instead of me for a year, so everyone was happy. This was a few years ago (we didn't have to pay tuition fees, and got grants, not loans), so the details might have changed by now. I do seem to remember fees for foreign students being maybe three times the standard home-student rate, though, so you might at least be able to save a bit on fees if you're paying the home-student rate to your home university while on exchange.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    UEA got a Canadian student instead of me for a year, so everyone was happy.
    --
    David Hicks
    +1 UEA alumni - ahh The conrete jungle that is the UEA

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could try for a degree that includes a foreign exchange as part of the course. That's what I did, attending university in Canada for a year as part of my degree, with no extra fees to pay - UEA got a Canadian student instead of me for a year, so everyone was happy. This was a few years ago (we didn't have to pay tuition fees, and got grants, not loans), so the details might have changed by now. I do seem to remember fees for foreign students being maybe three times the standard home-student rate, though, so you might at least be able to save a bit on fees if you're paying the home-student rate to your home university while on exchange.

--
    David Hicks
    The problem with that is i cannot get into a UK university. I dont have any A Levels. I can get into one abroad though. I dont fancy adding 2+ plus in getting the degree.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    The concrete jungle that is the UEA
    I seem to remember an interview in the student newspaper (called Concrete, just to hammer the point home) with the chap who designed the place. Seemingly his original idea was Spanish-style white adobe buildings, but they ran out of money before they got to the paint.

In my first year I lived in Norfolk Terrace, one of the ziggurat buildings, pretty much right opposite the computer science department. We could spend an entire week (trust me, we were undergrads, we tried it) not touching bare earth - you could live, work, shop for food and go for a night out all without leaving the UEA walkways. I also remember, one blurry Friday morning, walking into the kitchen, glazed on two sides with floor-to-ceiling windows, to find a film crew outside filming a chap in a tweed suite talking about the architecture of the building, which is a tad disconcerting to come accross before you've got a bowl of cornflakes inside you and more than just your pyjama bottoms on your outside.

I always did wonder about the Canadian student who turned up in my place. The prospectus for UEA emphasises the fine old buildings and natural features of Norwich, with no mention of a half-mile long slab of concrete anywhere.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    The problem with that is i cannot get into a UK university. I dont have any A Levels. I can get into one abroad though. I dont fancy adding 2+ plus in getting the degree.
    Are you sure that a degree course is right for you? Where and what are you hoping to study? If you're aiming for a foreign university specifically because you can't get in to one in the UK, are you going to wind up spending several years paying for a degree from a recognised degree-mill that's happy to take your money but not really give you anything worthwhile in the process? Might you do better to spend your time, effort money on certification courses instead?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Then do an access course, only lasts one year and gets you back into the studying mindset. I assume your not planning on going this year anyway given that the closing date for UK apps was months ago and I assume it's the same abroad.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you sure that a degree course is right for you? Where and what are you hoping to study? If you're aiming for a foreign university specifically because you can't get in to one in the UK, are you going to wind up spending several years paying for a degree from a recognised degree-mill that's happy to take your money but not really give you anything worthwhile in the process? Might you do better to spend your time, effort money on certification courses instead?

--
    David Hicks
    I have been offered a place at the Griffith University & Brisbane North Institute, Birsbane, Australia. The course is spread over 3.5 years and you get the following

Diploma In Information Technology + CCNA - Studied at Brisabane North Institute or Griffith
    Bachelor of Information Technology - Studied at Griffith.

and I assume it's the same abroad.
    Nope different term times, then enroll February and June
    Last edited by FN-GM; 20th August 2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: more info

Thank Post
    Well the problem is many universities, including British ones, see foreign students as a cash cow, ie they are rich and will pay through the nose. Some top American universities are needs blind so if you have no money you don't pay but that is really only the Top Schools like Harvard, MIT, Stanford etc. Your best bet is to study in the EU as all EU students must be treated the same as home students eg. Sweden where all tuition is free.

Griffith University as an example a BA would cost $42,960.00 in 2008 which is £21,550 Obviously you have to add in living costs!

You could ask what financial aid is avaliable?
    intl-financialaid@griffith.edu.au

If you are only going abroad to avoid A-Levels I would not do it, better to take some A-Levels or an HNC/D or Foundation Degree first. Griffith has 37,000 students and 3,500 staff, that is not a good Staff:Student Ratio.

Rankings of Australian Universities
    Last edited by somabc; 20th August 2009 at 12:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I want to see more of the country with possibly a view to move there. The BSF net is closing in and i think this is a good opportunity. I need to get some qualifications. This way i get something under my belt and get to try out Australian life. If i choose to apply for a permanent resident Visa i will be eligible to apply. Unfortunately anything else but a degree i cannot apply unless i have Lots of experience. I have family living in the area so i will have a place to stay making it much easier. I can stop with them.

Thanks for the e-mail address i didn't see it.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 20th August 2009 at 12:28 AM.

Thank Post
    ah ok,
    It's unlikely you'd get a UK student loan tho and as it's a non EU country they will charge you full international rates.
    i.e this vs this
    Our unis over here charge a ton for international students

As for the loan...

Studying at an overseas university: doing your research | NIDirect

UKCISA

Thank Post
    I want to see more of the country with possibly a view to move there. The BSF net is closing in and i think this is a good opportunity. I need to get some qualifications. This way i get something under my belt and get to try out Australian life. If i choose to apply for a permanent resident Visa i will be eligible to apply. Unfortunately anything else but a degree i cannot apply unless i have Lots of experience. I have family living in the area so i will have a place to stay making it much easier. I can stop with them.

Thanks for the e-mail address i didn't see it.
    That's different if you are thinking of moving to Aus anyway and you have family then you should go!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks.

More advice and links are very welcome.

Thank Post
    Explore working and studying abroad

Student visa

In order to study in Australia, you will need to apply for a student visa if the course lasts longer than three months. You can also apply for permission to work once you have received your student visa.

If you have been granted a student visa with work rights, then you will be able to work up to 20 hours a week on a casual basis during term time and full time during vacation periods. You can only apply for a visa with work rights after you arrive in Australia and have begun studying. The application charge for a student visa with permission to work is currently AUD$55. See the Australian Government: Department of Immigration and Citizenship website for up-to-date information.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Already got the Visa side covered thanks i need to concentrate on the Finances.

Thanks anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast