+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, MSCE + MSCA in Training and Courses; ...
    Thank Post

MSCE + MSCA

I'm looking ad doing and MSCE+MSCA combined course (you end up with both qualifcations at the end of two years)
    Included in the price is 14 books (7 for each), two years use of tutor, who sets dummy exams and course work, provides help and support etc... veritual learning enviroment all the software required (did think can get trial downloads etc for free anyway.....) and the price of exmas all for

£2692 does that sound resonable???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't sound unreasonable when I consider you get the tutor and so on as well, but if you've got experience then it might not be worthwhile for you. It sounds like its designed to be a course to teach from the very basics and up. If that's what you're looking for then it sounds good, otherwise you might be better off just getting the basic books, refreshing your memory, and taking the exams yourself.

Alternatively you could probably find an intensive residential course for about the same, which'd be a couple of weeks rather than two years. Again though you need the background to make use of an intensive course.

3. Thanks to jamesb from:

Newton (24th June 2009)

Thank Post
    alternatively you could buy the testout range, the ms press books and a technet sub for about the same price.

not saying that ones better than the other, but worth considering.

5. Thanks to strawberry from:

Newton (24th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Just remember that the 4 exams you need to do for the MCSA are also required for the MCSE plus another 3 I think it is.

You will end up with an MCSE at the end of it.

The exams are £88 each so it doesn't sound too bad.

Ben

7. Thanks to plexer from:

Newton (24th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    I'm looking ad doing and MSCE+MSCA combined course (you end up with both qualifcations at the end of two years)
    Included in the price is 14 books (7 for each), two years use of tutor, who sets dummy exams and course work, provides help and support etc... veritual learning enviroment all the software required (did think can get trial downloads etc for free anyway.....) and the price of exmas all for

That's a lot of money to pay for 2 qualifications that aren't relevant for Server 2008. Granted, 2003 has a lot of life left in it yet, but 2 years is a long time in I.T.

However, HR departments only seem to look for the 4 magic letters, MCSA so it might be worth the punt. Can't you get your employer to fund it or part fund it?

9. Thanks to AyatollahPies from:

Newton (24th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayatollah Pies View Post
    That's a lot of money to pay for 2 qualifications that aren't relevant for Server 2008. Granted, 2003 has a lot of life left in it yet, but 2 years is a long time in I.T.

However, HR departments only seem to look for the 4 magic letters, MCSA so it might be worth the punt. Can't you get your employer to fund it or part fund it?
    Once you've got the MCSE its only a simple exam to turn it into three MCTSes, and another to turn that into an MCITP:Enterprise Administrator or Server Administrator. So its still well worth doing.

However the big question is whether or not the 2003 exams will still be available to take in two years time. There are no plans to retire them yet, but it could happen.
    Last edited by jamesb; 24th June 2009 at 09:51 AM.

11. Thanks to jamesb from:

Newton (24th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Looking at getting funding from employer - going on past experance not holding my breath.

Just looked at MCITP in Server admin for about £800 sounds much better than £2692,

Pros -Server 2008 new tech, word is its looking good, windows 7 round the corner as well people may
    Cons -Server 2003 is everywhere and pritty solid, likey to stay every for a long time

Just looking at the courses and suppliers is making my head hurt, on that note any recommendations of supplier?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looking at getting funding from employer - going on past experance not holding my breath.

Just looked at MCITP in Server admin for about £800 sounds much better than £2692,

Pros -Server 2008 new tech, word is its looking good, windows 7 round the corner as well people may
    Cons -Server 2003 is everywhere and pritty solid, likey to stay every for a long time

Just looking at the courses and suppliers is making my head hurt, on that note any recommendations of supplier?
    The one I always recommend is Firebrand, I've done a few courses with them and plan to do a few more (once I've got the money saved up, they're good, but they're not cheap). Residential intensive courses, very hard work and you come out of the course feeling like your head might explode (and stomach, the food is excellent). I think there's a couple of their reps who're members here and will probably chip in if you have any questions.

I can't comment on other suppliers, as others which I've tried aren't ones I'd recommend.

14. Thanks to jamesb from:

Newton (26th June 2009)

Thank Post
    I use Advent, based in the Birmingham area (Kiddeminster)
    Been very happy with them, there when you need them and the workshops have been very very good.

16. Thanks to apoth0r from:

Newton (26th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    @Newton:

Sounds very reasonable in fact the £6000 which it cost me to do mine 4 years ago (even though the school paid) makes it sound very good value.

Although the course I did was residential and over 7 weeks, 7 days a week, 16 hours per day, so had to pay for board and food.

looking back it was very tiring so the 2 years seems even better.

18. Thanks to bossman from:

Newton (26th June 2009)

Thank Post

having done both i would suggest doing mcsa in 2003 then having a think. the upgrade path is quite nice but the 2003 track is for me a little better.

20. Thanks to strawberry from:

Newton (26th June 2009)

Thank Post
    I am currently looking at Computeach for their MCSA and MCSE combined course. The way computeach work has recently been changed a lot so the price has SHOT down.

Basically computeach is now totally elearning based, no more travelling down to their in center days etc if you dont want to, you can simply do all your learning online, reading, cdroms etc at home and then book your exams at your nearest prometric center.

The way you learn is that you pay per month however you HAVE to take a 1 year minimum contract at the price of 1679 for the year (that figure includes vat), you pay this price regardless of the course(s) you do.

If after that year you havent completed the track etc then you pay per month (1679/12) for the remaining time it takes you to complete your track.

In that price is:

· All course material e.g books, manuals, CDROMs
    · Full Tutor Support e.g phone, fax, email,
    · In centre training (practical and theory)
    · All exams
    · Licence software
    · Fully industry recognised qualification
    · Recruitment service
    · C.V help
    · Interview training

Hope this was helpful, im making the same play to my SMT so hopefully ill get onto it as the price is unbelieveable

Thank Post

I don't get why you need 14 books?

the MCSA is part of the MCSE path. The MCSA is 4 exams and the MCSE is a further 3. I would recommend you investigate home study as it will only cost about £30 each book and £88 each exam.

I paid about £3k for a similar course, but i wish i had just saved the extra money and bought myself the nuts of a PC with the extra!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by big_nath View Post
    I don't get why you need 14 books?

the MCSA is part of the MCSE path. The MCSA is 4 exams and the MCSE is a further 3. I would recommend you investigate home study as it will only cost about £30 each book and £88 each exam.

I paid about £3k for a similar course, but i wish i had just saved the extra money and bought myself the nuts of a PC with the extra!
    Just to bring a different viewpoint, I paid a bit more for an intensive residential course, and didn't regret it for a moment once I was there. Its all about the way that you learn best and what suits you most. For some, its self-study or e-learning, for some its regular classes, and for me it happens to be an intensive practical course involving 14 hours of lessons a day for two weeks (no days off at the weekend).

So, decide what suits you best, then go with that one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Just to bring a different viewpoint, I paid a bit more for an intensive residential course, and didn't regret it for a moment once I was there. Its all about the way that you learn best and what suits you most. For some, its self-study or e-learning, for some its regular classes, and for me it happens to be an intensive practical course involving 14 hours of lessons a day for two weeks (no days off at the weekend).

So, decide what suits you best, then go with that one.

Agreed home study isn't for everyone. I think the ability to complete an intensive course would depend on you current skills. If you know Windows server inside out, i guess it is a quick way to certify, but if you have a lot of areas that need improvement, i'm not sure the average person would be able to keep up. I know that i wouldn't be able to.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information