+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Courses and Training Thread, MSCE + MSCA in Training and Courses; ...
  1. #1
    Newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    179
    Thank Post
    59
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    MSCE + MSCA

    I'm looking ad doing and MSCE+MSCA combined course (you end up with both qualifcations at the end of two years)
    Included in the price is 14 books (7 for each), two years use of tutor, who sets dummy exams and course work, provides help and support etc... veritual learning enviroment all the software required (did think can get trial downloads etc for free anyway.....) and the price of exmas all for

    £2692 does that sound resonable???

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,208
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 331 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    115
    It doesn't sound unreasonable when I consider you get the tutor and so on as well, but if you've got experience then it might not be worthwhile for you. It sounds like its designed to be a course to teach from the very basics and up. If that's what you're looking for then it sounds good, otherwise you might be better off just getting the basic books, refreshing your memory, and taking the exams yourself.

    Alternatively you could probably find an intensive residential course for about the same, which'd be a couple of weeks rather than two years. Again though you need the background to make use of an intensive course.

  3. Thanks to jamesb from:

    Newton (24th June 2009)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,830
    Thank Post
    89
    Thanked 311 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    89
    alternatively you could buy the testout range, the ms press books and a technet sub for about the same price.

    not saying that ones better than the other, but worth considering.

  5. Thanks to strawberry from:

    Newton (24th June 2009)

  6. #4

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,556
    Thank Post
    721
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Rep Power
    432
    Just remember that the 4 exams you need to do for the MCSA are also required for the MCSE plus another 3 I think it is.

    You will end up with an MCSE at the end of it.

    The exams are £88 each so it doesn't sound too bad.

    Ben

  7. Thanks to plexer from:

    Newton (24th June 2009)

  8. #5
    AyatollahPies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    900
    Thank Post
    48
    Thanked 105 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    I'm looking ad doing and MSCE+MSCA combined course (you end up with both qualifcations at the end of two years)
    Included in the price is 14 books (7 for each), two years use of tutor, who sets dummy exams and course work, provides help and support etc... veritual learning enviroment all the software required (did think can get trial downloads etc for free anyway.....) and the price of exmas all for

    £2692 does that sound resonable???
    That's a lot of money to pay for 2 qualifications that aren't relevant for Server 2008. Granted, 2003 has a lot of life left in it yet, but 2 years is a long time in I.T.

    However, HR departments only seem to look for the 4 magic letters, MCSA so it might be worth the punt. Can't you get your employer to fund it or part fund it?

  9. Thanks to AyatollahPies from:

    Newton (24th June 2009)

  10. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,208
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 331 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayatollah Pies View Post
    That's a lot of money to pay for 2 qualifications that aren't relevant for Server 2008. Granted, 2003 has a lot of life left in it yet, but 2 years is a long time in I.T.

    However, HR departments only seem to look for the 4 magic letters, MCSA so it might be worth the punt. Can't you get your employer to fund it or part fund it?
    Once you've got the MCSE its only a simple exam to turn it into three MCTSes, and another to turn that into an MCITP:Enterprise Administrator or Server Administrator. So its still well worth doing.

    However the big question is whether or not the 2003 exams will still be available to take in two years time. There are no plans to retire them yet, but it could happen.
    Last edited by jamesb; 24th June 2009 at 09:51 AM.

  11. Thanks to jamesb from:

    Newton (24th June 2009)

  12. #7
    Newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    179
    Thank Post
    59
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Looking at getting funding from employer - going on past experance not holding my breath.

    Just looked at MCITP in Server admin for about £800 sounds much better than £2692,

    Pros -Server 2008 new tech, word is its looking good, windows 7 round the corner as well people may
    Cons -Server 2003 is everywhere and pritty solid, likey to stay every for a long time

    Just looking at the courses and suppliers is making my head hurt, on that note any recommendations of supplier?

  13. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,208
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 331 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    Looking at getting funding from employer - going on past experance not holding my breath.

    Just looked at MCITP in Server admin for about £800 sounds much better than £2692,

    Pros -Server 2008 new tech, word is its looking good, windows 7 round the corner as well people may
    Cons -Server 2003 is everywhere and pritty solid, likey to stay every for a long time

    Just looking at the courses and suppliers is making my head hurt, on that note any recommendations of supplier?
    The one I always recommend is Firebrand, I've done a few courses with them and plan to do a few more (once I've got the money saved up, they're good, but they're not cheap). Residential intensive courses, very hard work and you come out of the course feeling like your head might explode (and stomach, the food is excellent). I think there's a couple of their reps who're members here and will probably chip in if you have any questions.

    I can't comment on other suppliers, as others which I've tried aren't ones I'd recommend.

  14. Thanks to jamesb from:

    Newton (26th June 2009)

  15. #9
    apoth0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,221
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    I use Advent, based in the Birmingham area (Kiddeminster)
    Been very happy with them, there when you need them and the workshops have been very very good.

  16. Thanks to apoth0r from:

    Newton (26th June 2009)

  17. #10

    bossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,962
    Thank Post
    1,208
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    Rep Power
    332
    @Newton:

    Sounds very reasonable in fact the £6000 which it cost me to do mine 4 years ago (even though the school paid) makes it sound very good value.

    Although the course I did was residential and over 7 weeks, 7 days a week, 16 hours per day, so had to pay for board and food.

    looking back it was very tiring so the 2 years seems even better.

  18. Thanks to bossman from:

    Newton (26th June 2009)

  19. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,830
    Thank Post
    89
    Thanked 311 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    Looking at getting funding from employer - going on past experance not holding my breath.

    Just looked at MCITP in Server admin for about £800 sounds much better than £2692,

    Pros -Server 2008 new tech, word is its looking good, windows 7 round the corner as well people may
    Cons -Server 2003 is everywhere and pritty solid, likey to stay every for a long time

    Just looking at the courses and suppliers is making my head hurt, on that note any recommendations of supplier?
    having done both i would suggest doing mcsa in 2003 then having a think. the upgrade path is quite nice but the 2003 track is for me a little better.

  20. Thanks to strawberry from:

    Newton (26th June 2009)

  21. #12
    Bluetooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dewsbury
    Posts
    299
    Thank Post
    30
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    I am currently looking at Computeach for their MCSA and MCSE combined course. The way computeach work has recently been changed a lot so the price has SHOT down.

    Basically computeach is now totally elearning based, no more travelling down to their in center days etc if you dont want to, you can simply do all your learning online, reading, cdroms etc at home and then book your exams at your nearest prometric center.

    The way you learn is that you pay per month however you HAVE to take a 1 year minimum contract at the price of 1679 for the year (that figure includes vat), you pay this price regardless of the course(s) you do.

    If after that year you havent completed the track etc then you pay per month (1679/12) for the remaining time it takes you to complete your track.

    In that price is:

    · All course material e.g books, manuals, CDROMs
    · Full Tutor Support e.g phone, fax, email,
    · In centre training (practical and theory)
    · All exams
    · Licence software
    · Fully industry recognised qualification
    · Recruitment service
    · C.V help
    · Interview training

    Hope this was helpful, im making the same play to my SMT so hopefully ill get onto it as the price is unbelieveable

  22. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    36
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    I'm looking ad doing and MSCE+MSCA combined course (you end up with both qualifcations at the end of two years)
    Included in the price is 14 books (7 for each), two years use of tutor, who sets dummy exams and course work, provides help and support etc... veritual learning enviroment all the software required (did think can get trial downloads etc for free anyway.....) and the price of exmas all for

    £2692 does that sound resonable???
    I don't get why you need 14 books?

    the MCSA is part of the MCSE path. The MCSA is 4 exams and the MCSE is a further 3. I would recommend you investigate home study as it will only cost about £30 each book and £88 each exam.

    I paid about £3k for a similar course, but i wish i had just saved the extra money and bought myself the nuts of a PC with the extra!

  23. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,208
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 331 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by big_nath View Post
    I don't get why you need 14 books?

    the MCSA is part of the MCSE path. The MCSA is 4 exams and the MCSE is a further 3. I would recommend you investigate home study as it will only cost about £30 each book and £88 each exam.

    I paid about £3k for a similar course, but i wish i had just saved the extra money and bought myself the nuts of a PC with the extra!
    Just to bring a different viewpoint, I paid a bit more for an intensive residential course, and didn't regret it for a moment once I was there. Its all about the way that you learn best and what suits you most. For some, its self-study or e-learning, for some its regular classes, and for me it happens to be an intensive practical course involving 14 hours of lessons a day for two weeks (no days off at the weekend).

    So, decide what suits you best, then go with that one.

  24. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    36
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Just to bring a different viewpoint, I paid a bit more for an intensive residential course, and didn't regret it for a moment once I was there. Its all about the way that you learn best and what suits you most. For some, its self-study or e-learning, for some its regular classes, and for me it happens to be an intensive practical course involving 14 hours of lessons a day for two weeks (no days off at the weekend).

    So, decide what suits you best, then go with that one.

    Agreed home study isn't for everyone. I think the ability to complete an intensive course would depend on you current skills. If you know Windows server inside out, i guess it is a quick way to certify, but if you have a lot of areas that need improvement, i'm not sure the average person would be able to keep up. I know that i wouldn't be able to.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •