+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, Microsoft exams in Training and Courses; Im thinking of doing some MS exams. Whats the difference between the MSCA and the MSCE. How much do they ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Microsoft exams

Im thinking of doing some MS exams. Whats the difference between the MSCA and the MSCE. How much do they cost? Do I just sit them online or do I need to do it through a center? Cheers!

Thank Post
    MCSA = Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
    MCSE = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

AFAIK, they all cost about £88.00 at the moment (Prometric)
    the MCSA only requires 4 exams - MCSA on Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements
    the MCSE requires 7 exams - MCSE on Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements

Passing a single exam makes you an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)

Once you pass an exam Microsoft email you with your Microsoft Certification ID allowing you access to the MCP site, and your transcript which gets updated each time you pass an exam), you also get to create your logo - so I have a nice MCP logo I can use now

I plan to get the MCSA first then do the extra exams for the MCSE

They all must be sat at a testing centre, Prometric seems to be the most common, not sure if Pearson VUE still do them?

3. Thanks to Gatt from:

RabbieBurns (1st June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cool, cheers. I will look into doing the MSCA first. Ill have a look about here and see if anywhere does them. When you say £88 each, is that like 4x£88 and then 7x£88 ?

Ill get onto them soon, bored as hell just now. Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Ill have a look about here and see if anywhere does them. When you say £88 each, is that like 4x£88 and then 7x£88 ?

Yes - £88 per exam you take, so for MCSA 4 exams

When you book an exam with Prometric they give you a list to search for your nearest exam centre.

If you want any reccomendations for self study material, TranSignal stuff is always very good. Also ExamCram books.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think ill be needing ebooks to be honest if they sell them, all ive got with me here is a laptop and a backpack, cant really be carting big books around with me. Gonna see if i can finish of my CCNA as well, but all my books for that are on a shelf back home too ;/

Thank Post
    Definetly the Transignal stuff then. I got a load of their stuff off ebay which came on DVDS and were both lab books and video simulation tutorials.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are doing it in Australia it looks like they are AUD$180 each, here is a rundown of the MCSE course and the papers that you can choose to do:
    MCSE Training - Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) - Microsoft Certification Training - SEEK Learning Australia
    and here is one MCSA on Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements
    for MCSA, you just need papers that count for both if you want both.

The other thing to take into account is MSCE is really quite old now and is being phased out and replaced with the newer technology versions. You can do additional tests to upgrade your MCSE to the newer standards though. Additionally the MSCE is indefinate where as the newer ones are only valid for three years without recertification to combat the image that the MCSE papers have ended up with for some employers.

These are the new ones:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...n/default.mspx

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (1st June 2009)

Thank Post
    I thought they changed the three year rule and it's now untill the end of the product lifecycle. I remember people saying that the early MCDST/MCTS/MCITP exams had the three year limit but when I did mine there was no mention of it.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 1st June 2009 at 08:45 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I thought they changed the three year rule and it's now untill the end of the product lifecycle. I remember people saying that the early MCDST/MCTS/MCITP exams had the three year limit but when I did mine there was no mention of it.
    The MCP/MCDST/MCSA/MCSE credential does not expire, the new MCTS/MCITP does retire at the end of the life of the product. Originally the MCITP was earmarked to be renewed every 3 years, however MS made a uturn on that and brought it inline with the MCTS.

For the laptop, make sure that it's powerful enough to run a few VM's (Servers as well as clients) if you're going to study for the MCSA/MCSE.

-Ken

Thank Post
    I thought that was the case. I'm not sure what the point is in retiring them at the end of the life cycle, they currently just stop offering the exams so people can't become certified on older products. Surely if somewhere is still running products that old and needs someone to migrate or whatever they can just ask for people that 'were' certified on Vista or whatever.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    The MCP/MCDST/MCSA/MCSE credential does not expire, the new MCTS/MCITP does retire at the end of the life of the product. Originally the MCITP was earmarked to be renewed every 3 years, however MS made a uturn on that and brought it inline with the MCTS.

For the laptop, make sure that it's powerful enough to run a few VM's (Servers as well as clients) if you're going to study for the MCSA/MCSE.

-Ken
    It will probably only run one at a time to be honest. Its just a wee compact business Vaio 11.1" .. Will work something out though.

Thank Post
    MCP/MCDST/MCSA/MCSE does not have a time limit, neither do the exam vouchers. I am studying these areas and have checked with my lecturer and IT institute. Best to do one section at a time, pass it and then move on otherwise there is lots of reading/referencing and confusion !! haha!! good luck to those who take it !

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive recently been sent the "winter discount" prices from seek. And I dont think Ill be doing any of them. Way out my budget. Ah well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletproofbaba View Post
    MCP/MCDST/MCSA/MCSE does not have a time limit, neither do the exam vouchers...
    Well the old track do not have an expiry date, but they do have a time limit as all exams. You can only gain the cred while the exams are still live.

The exam vouchers do have a time limit, 12 months from when bought. You can get "cheaper" vouchers that have an early expiry date.

-Ken

Thank Post
    I'm also looking into getting a MCSA, but what level of difficulty are the exams?

For example I've been in IT Support for over a year. Almost exclusivly work with XP, exchange 03, server 03 (we have a server 08/some vista's). I can work with pretty much all of it, using common sense and knowledge (and very, very occasionaly the internet (usually troubleshooting the server/exchange)).

Would I need that much bookworming to get through the exam?

Are they more Technical, hands on? or horid written theory tests (I.E What does WAP stand for (p.s I know its Wireless Access Point) or what are the advantages of x over y?)

Also roughly how much does it cost to study if your doing it at home? on the cheap?

Thanks
    Last edited by mossj; 13th July 2009 at 10:22 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast