+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Courses and Training Thread, Microsoft exams in Training and Courses; Multiple choice tests, with some simulations. Books can be picked up from Amazon fairly cheaply, and its worth at least ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Multiple choice tests, with some simulations.

Books can be picked up from Amazon fairly cheaply, and its worth at least picking up the ExamCram and working through it.

While a lot of people say that the tests are easy and anyone could pass them I personally believe that without the background, you would probably have some difficulty. If you fail though you can always take a second shot, which gives you a free second attempt at the exam.

2. Thanks to jamesb from:

mossj (14th July 2009)

Thank Post
    While a lot of people say that the tests are easy and anyone could pass them I personally believe that without the background, you would probably have some difficulty.
    The people who say that generally know the products well, if you don't it's hard anything is hard if you don't know the answers, simple as that.
    The key is to read some test questions from exam cram and MS press this will get you in the MS frame of mind this is key as some answers may "seem" correct and indeed might be but MS might be looking for a certain answer probably related to how one of their products differ from other similar products (be it for better of for worse).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    I'm also looking into getting a MCSA, but what level of difficulty are the exams?

For example I've been in IT Support for over a year. Almost exclusivly work with XP, exchange 03, server 03 (we have a server 08/some vista's). I can work with pretty much all of it, using common sense and knowledge (and very, very occasionaly the internet (usually troubleshooting the server/exchange)).

Would I need that much bookworming to get through the exam?

Are they more Technical, hands on? or horid written theory tests (I.E What does WAP stand for (p.s I know its Wireless Access Point) or what are the advantages of x over y?)

Also roughly how much does it cost to study if your doing it at home? on the cheap?

Thanks
    It depends on what you do in your day-to-day job . The client exam, either Vista or XP (70-620 or 70-270) you will probably find fairly easy. The other's depend on how much server work you actually do and to what level. I have recently certified as MCSA and i did these exams 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 and 70-284.

This is how i found them,

70-270 - Fairly easy, but still some suprises.

70-290 - I actually found this easier than the 270, but i do a lot of account administration.

70-291 - HARD, HARD, HARD. I don't have alot of experience with configuring DNS, DHCP etc.

70-284 - I found this one fairly hard also. But again i don't do that much exchange (just works most of the time).

The best books IMO are the MS press books, they come with a digital version of the book, exam voucher and some exam practice questions and it is probably a good idea to get some form of CBT too.

You will need to setup a test lab, i did this with VMware, as i don't have the space at home for physical machines.

For each exam i studied for about 2 hours a day (every single day) for about 2 month, then took the exam (the 291 and 284 took me about 3 months each).

Good luck!!!
    Last edited by big_nath; 14th July 2009 at 09:00 AM.

5. Thanks to big_nath from:

mossj (14th July 2009)

Thank Post
    So it really depends on your RL experiance and they base there questions on situations rather than proper theory.

Would it be worth doing "Server 2003/Exchange 2003/XP/Vista" based courses considering the shift to "server 08/exchange 07/Windows 7(soon)"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    So it really depends on your RL experiance and they base there questions on situations rather than proper theory.

Would it be worth doing "Server 2003/Exchange 2003/XP/Vista" based courses considering the shift to "server 08/exchange 07/Windows 7(soon)"
    Correct experience is key!

It depends what you use at place of work. If you have a 2k3 network then go down the MCSA/MCSE road. If you are on 2k8 then MCITP would be the path i'd choose. The same is true for the client exams if you use mainly Vista then do the 7-620 exam, if XP then do the 70-270.

If you choose the MCSA/MCSE path, you can easily upgrade to MCITP at a later date.

8. Thanks to big_nath from:

mossj (14th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your help!

I think the route to go for:

MCSA specialization - MCSA Messaging on Windows Server 2003 - 4 exams

Then
    Upgrade to Server 2008
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration - 1 exam (Same exam as below)
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration - 1 exam (Same Exam as above)

Followed by
    MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 - 1 exam

Should take a year or two to study for but I will have some extra money for working over the summer and need something to add to my CV.
    Last edited by mossj; 14th July 2009 at 10:34 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12