+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Courses and Training Thread, What course to take in Training and Courses; My head has just said that she will give me some money to get a qualification in ICT (currently employed ...
  1. #1
    button_ripple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Thank Post
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power

    What course to take

    My head has just said that she will give me some money to get a qualification in ICT (currently employed as the techie with nothing to show that I am any good with computers!) what should I be looking at? Obviously not too expensive, but the head said she is fine if it is a day release (I would prefer home/distance learning!)

    Looking at practically anything to show I can fix computers/administer servers. (been looking at MCDST and MCSA). Do you have to have the MCDST to go on a MCSA course?

    Found this home learning course, but not sure if it gives you a MCDST and an MCSA or you just do the things for the MCDST, but never get the qualification!

    MCSA network certification | Distance Learning course | Home Study

    Can anyone give me some advice?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Thank Post
    Thanked 355 Times in 293 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rep Power
    MCDST and MCSA are very different qualifications. You don't need to do a MCDST to get an MCSA, and vice versa, but the MCSA is aimed more at administration while the MCDST is aimed more at supporting users and systems.

    You can self-study for any of the Microsoft qualifications by picking up the books. The exams cost about £80-100 each, and some courses do include them, others don't. You'd have to speak to the relevant trainer to check.

  3. Thanks to jamesb from:

    button_ripple (28th April 2009)

  4. #3
    wagnerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Thank Post
    Thanked 169 Times in 137 Posts
    Rep Power
    I would say, if the Head is giving you money for training, look into the NVQ 3 in Systems Support with the MCDST/MCSA integrated.

    That way you get a vocational level 3 qualification (with that & post 5 years experience you can go for the ICTTech mark offered by the IET and soon the BCS, plus the LCGI diploma which is a level 4 qualification) and you'll have Professional Microsoft certs. Best of both worlds


  5. Thanks to wagnerk from:

    button_ripple (28th April 2009)

+ Post New Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts