+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Courses and Training Thread, Ultraversity in Training and Courses; Originally Posted by kingswood I'm still thinking about this one. Could I ask what you studied this past year and ...
    Thank Post

Re: Ultraversity

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    I'm still thinking about this one. Could I ask what you studied this past year and how you put it all together? I'm just a little worried that it's *too* loose to be useful. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Paul
    That makes perfect sense - it is a little on the 'loose' side, but I put that down to me being too used to technical subjects myself. It is a BA not a BSc after all!
    It starts with an intro to online learning and technology which was mildly informative. Then you investigate your work setting which is really quite revealing. The last two modules were introductions to the concepts of reflection and action research - both of which are particularly useful to teachers, but I also found useful. All four modules were 6000 words each and you have around six weeks to complete each one - I struggled for time with a new baby in the house but it is doable - even with a job and family!
    Bottom line is I feel I am learning about Learning - not just my own, but how others learn too. I think that it has relevence to anyone working in the education sector, not just teachers. I am already starting to understand a teachers job better than I did which can only help me improve my practice. It teaches you to look at what you do and how you do it and provides methods to question that and improve on it.
    There is more on the content at http://www.ultraversity.net/structure if you haven't seen it already. If you need a chat I can recommend you call them as they are really excellent and certainly won't try to push you into the course, but will help you decide whether or not it is for you...
    Or if you want to call me for a chat, just drop me a PM and I'll let you have my number.

Good luck...
    Al.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've had to put this on hold due to work commitments after only getting the first 2 modules sorted ... but will be getting back on board from September.

Making sure you have regular amounts of time to do this, as well as the support for your workplace, is very important. I had the latter .. but nowhere even approachable of the former.

At least for the next 2 years I have ready made projects that can be used.

Thank Post

I'll add my twopennorth. I've just completed the first semester and it's certainly been all those things that people above have mentioned. I found it difficult to fit around all the other things I was doing, and at one point I was worried that I wouldn't complete the second module on time. The Learning Facilitators were very fair and helpful during a stressful period, and I can't thank them enough.
    I went into this because I want to explore the ways people learn, how they react to various stimulii, and then look at ways of delivering work which appeals to and engages those who learn online.
    The course costs £1200 a year at present, and there are several methods of paying. Choose the one which suits you.
    I can only echo what Netman says. It will really open your eyes, and what may seem "loose" to begin with is anything but. Even the first module, designed to "ease" you into the course, makes you see things in a different light.
    It's too late for me to go further tonight, I should be up at 5:30. If anyone one wants any more info, other than from the website, just pm me and i'll do what i can.

Thank Post

Thanks all. I have sent an enquiry in to Ultraversity, and should hear from them soon. The course looked like it would take a lot of time- I am worried that this will be a major battle for me. But like I said, talking to them about my concerns first would be a good way to go. If I do start I will be going in on the September intake.

At the least it sounds like it will be rewarding. And that's a good thing. Since I still have plans to become a teacher (yuck!) it would be perfect for me.

If I have any questions/points, I will get back to you all. In any case, good luck with your ongoing studies!

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No .... turn away from the dark side before it is too late!!!!

Thank Post

I too have contacted them about doing this and currently i am awaiting a reply. I know i have left it a little late for September but i only really gave this some thought this summer.

I have asked about the latest enrolment date in September becasue i am going to see if the school will pay/part pay towards this as my CPD ( i won't hold my breath)

I'll keep you informed.

Thank Post

Has anyone enrolled for this September?

Thank Post

i completed the first year three years ago and am looking to continue but like most can't come up with the reddies (even the payment plan is a coupple of hundred quid a month!)my work place sponsored me initially but it was only 600 quid then now its a lot more (which i think is unfair incidentally, i started the course at £600 i ought to be able to complete it at that or its a waste of time and effort).The course was very demanding and you need to be online most nights and during the weekend.

Thank Post
    I signed up, registered for the Feb 2008 start, paid my 1550 quid fees for the year, and then received an email today saying that it was cancelled due to lack of students!

The email then went on to say that I could re-sign up in September 2008, but the fees would increase to 2000 quid for the next year!!!

not a happy bunny.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This seriously annoys me ... I was trying to get back on the course after my workload for school and county went sky high ... and after leaving message after message I have just had the same one too ...

Damn annoying is putting it politely.

Thank Post

Ultraversity

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    I signed up, registered for the Feb 2008 start, paid my 1550 quid fees for the year, and then received an email today saying that it was cancelled due to lack of students!

The email then went on to say that I could re-sign up in September 2008, but the fees would increase to 2000 quid for the next year!!!

not a happy bunny.....
    I am so sorry that this has happened. I am about to begin my third and final year of the degree - term starts next Monday. I do know that the February intake is generally lower than a September one but hadn't realised the numbers were very low this year. With regard to the fees - they have steadily increased at each intake - 500 more each time.

All I can say is that I am finding it hard work, frustrating at times, but very rewarding.

Thank Post
    when you say that they increased it for each intake, does that mean that you - in your third year, also have to pay the 500 increase each year? or is the price fixed for the entire three years?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    when you say that they increased it for each intake, does that mean that you - in your third year, also have to pay the 500 increase each year? or is the price fixed for the entire three years?
    I mean that at each successive re-registration I have paid an extra 500 or so. The fee is not fixed for the whole three years as each year is sort of deemed to be a separate course. After successfully completing the first year a certificate of education is gained, after the second year a diploma and then obviously after the third year a degree. That's if you decide to not continue at any point, in other words you only receive one qualification and not three.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    With regard to the fees - they have steadily increased at each intake - 500 more each time.
    Many apologies just checked my invoices, got an extra nought in the figure above. Fees increased by only 50 each year. Don't be put off the course is well worth it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information