+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, Ultraversity in Training and Courses; Sorry to take so long to get back to you. The student loan idea came up earlier when I was ...
    Thank Post

Re: Ultraversity

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

The student loan idea came up earlier when I was showing a colleague the Ultraversity site. She's had her degree for a while and decided to go onto teaching.

The BTEC was an HND in Computing, but that was nearly 9 years ago now. It was when they still taught programming and how the internals of computers worked.

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll get in contact ASAP, but it will be after the move. Just about everything in our house is packed and ready now. :P

Thank Post

Does that amount need to be paid up front, or are there payment schemes (a la Open University)? This degree would be ideal for me- I want to go into teaching ultimately...poor thing...

Thank Post

Scrub that- just found the information on the web site. Thanks anyway!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    This degree would be ideal for me- I want to go into teaching ultimately...poor thing...
    dont do it noooooooo

lol

They doi have payment scheme think it is over 7 months..

russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver
    Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

The student loan idea came up earlier when I was showing a colleague the Ultraversity site. She's had her degree for a while and decided to go onto teaching.

The BTEC was an HND in Computing, but that was nearly 9 years ago now. It was when they still taught programming and how the internals of computers worked.

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll get in contact ASAP, but it will be after the move. Just about everything in our house is packed and ready now. :P
    There is also a lesser used system which credits you for experienced gained whilst at work - Accredited Prior Experiential learning (APEL). This is a trickier route to use since in effect you have to provide strong documentary evidence that you have got the experience you are claiming for, which most people liken to doing a module anyway. However, it is a possibility and deserves a mention.

Hope the house move goes OK - look forward to hearing from you.

Thank Post

Is anyone gonna be doing this?

Thank Post

I did a week's secondment at another local secondary school last month. I passed on the ultraversity link to my opposite number there and he's enrolled already. Keen as mustard he is!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,821 Posts

Am seriously thinking about it
    Looks good but I am wondering what good it would actually do my career - I don't think having a degree will change my life as a techie (well, I know it won't coz I've got one already) so I need to look at where I would go with it after how ever many years of hard work it takes

Thank Post

Hi Witch,

Speaking solely from my own experience, studying for the degree (I still have a year and a half to go) has opened up all sorts of opportunities. I initially embarked on it because it seemed like a good way of learning to think more and also to apply that thinking to my work. Since then it has moved on in leaps and bounds. I am starting to look at my world (and my life) in a very different way and realise just how much more there is to it.

At the very least, on completing you would be a far more critical and reflective thinker with a whole new range of intellectual skills and knowledge that you could apply to a wide range of situations. What you do with these would be up to you. Like so many of my fellow researchers (students) you might find it is a voyage of discovery - you don't know fully how it will affect your career/circumstances until you set out on it. From their comments it is clear that it has so far had a very positive impact for many of them.

Robbersdog

Thank Post

WOW! Bit evangelical!
    Great that you are so switched on by it all
    BUT can't really afford money or time to start on something that may or may not affect my career and circumstances (recently widowed mother, husband,3 teenagers, cat, dog, four guinea pigs, rabbit, two rats, big dirty house,etc etc etc)
    I would be very interested to hear how it has impacted on people's lives and how their careers have changed because of it.
    Still Thinking!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    WOW! Bit evangelical!
    Great that you are so switched on by it all
    BUT can't really afford money or time to start on something that may or may not affect my career and circumstances (recently widowed mother, husband,3 teenagers, cat, dog, four guinea pigs, rabbit, two rats, big dirty house,etc etc etc)
    I would be very interested to hear how it has impacted on people's lives and how their careers have changed because of it.
    Still Thinking!!
    so i always wondered if there was a zoo at dorset....

Russ

Thank Post

Well, I have one at home, and sometimes I think I work in a couple!

Actually, dealing with the menagerie at home isn't a lot different to dealing with certain people at work - although at home the zoo inhabitants are at least fairly grateful when I do something for them..The sulky unhelpful teenager-ness at home is certainly similar to the behaviour of some elsewhere!

I really need a holiday

Thank Post

Yeah, I know what you mean about menageries and people. Animals are easier to deal with sometimes and a big plus is that mucking out is a lot easier. One of the things I used to really get annoyed with as a tech was clearing up after people who should have been able to deal with their own digitial mess Hmm, enough on that for the mo.

I'm not promising anything, but I'll see if I can persuade some of the techies in UV to either join this forum or give some contact details so you can find out more. I do come across a little evangelical sometimes, especially concerning things I am passionate about. Also, I usually realise this and the importance of getting other views - warts and all. A lot of people will not be online now - 2 months break from studying (another REALLY big plus over the OU) - but I'll try.

Woof!

Thank Post

Well I have completed year 1 of the degree - very interesting and pretty worthwhile. Particularly of interest to those who might want to go into teaching or like me, want to understand what goes on in the classroom better in order to provide the best resources and training... I can thoroughly recommend it. Below is an email from my Learning Facilitator which gives some more info for anyone thinking of starting in September...

"The BA Learning Technology Research degree is open for September recruitment.

This course as you well know is a radical online approach to studying for a workplace-based honours degree.

Could you suggest to someone in your workplace, a friend, member of the family or a neighbour (but they must have the same sticking power as you), to take up this course? You are proof that this degree is real, does work and can change lives.

Do you know someone who would benefit, perhaps someone aspiring to develop in their job role but held back by confidence or the need for such a qualification?

Share your experience and encourage others. It’s not too late for a September start. Remember there are no formal entry requirements and also for low-income households there is fee assistance. Distance and location do not present barriers-we have researchers taking part from all over the world!

So help a friend or family member to fulfil their potential. Help them be all that they can be, give someone a second chance to learn today by sending the information flyer (attached to this message) and also at the following link:

http://firstclass.ultraversity.net/~...ail_Final.html

(directly to a friend or colleague or to your employer to distribute), sharing your story and spreading the opportunity. They might not believe its possible unless it comes from you.

Everyone can thrive in learning – but only if there is a place to.

Please, help us to give opportunity to all. Share your learning discovery."

If anyone wants anymore inside info feel free to ask me...

Thank Post

I'm still thinking about this one. Could I ask what you studied this past year and how you put it all together? I'm just a little worried that it's *too* loose to be useful. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information