+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, Anyone done the SWiS qualification? in Training and Courses; Hi Guys/Gals, Just wanting to know if anyone has done/doing/considering the SWiS qualification (Support work in schools qualifications). There are ...
    Thank Post

Anyone done the SWiS qualification?

Hi Guys/Gals,

Just wanting to know if anyone has done/doing/considering the SWiS qualification (Support work in schools qualifications). There are 2 levels: 2 & 3. While it's not an IT qualification, it is aimed at support staff in schools, including IT Services/Support staff.

I'm considering doing it, just as something not IT specific

If you have any experience with this, if you could just drop an answer in this thread. or if you don't know about this, see here.

-ken

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    hey ken,

i looked at this a while ago.

it looked way to simple and basic for me, but would have been alright for some of the other support staff.

it depends what you want out of it, i'm pretty sure there are other better courses you could do that would be worth more. Tresham do lots of cool courses, inc. really cheap MCPs (but that's back to IT again!) [and you've got enough of those!!!]

the one bonus of this course, IIRC is that depending on how poorly paid you are at the moment, it qualifies you for an extra bonus, like 200 or something (probably for the whole year). But hey, if someone offered you a free Wii every year you wouldn't say 'No' would you . ..?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 8th February 2009 at 01:24 PM.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

wagnerk (8th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks mate Did go thru the courses that Tresham's offering and the only one that I may consider is the PTTLLS. But I'm going to see what they'll be offering in the new academic year. I use to teach the Microsoft modules, but I'm on a break - to tell the truth I'm also taking a break from MS exams, lol.

-Ken

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    i did a couple of MS modules there many moons ago. even did a hardware installation and maintenance module and that really was some time ago!

quite fancied doing some of the coding ones too but never got around to it.

there's some good evening classes, like languages inc. sign , which are always pretty cool to have under your belt.

you could always do as the japs and enroll on the shoe making course :P you never know when that will come in handy.

by next year, they'll probably have to introduce some basic economics courses like: "How to budget for your household" and "Don't spend all your time and money at Wetherspoons!".

Thank Post
    As well as my IT Tech work I am also an assessor for NVQ and VQ quals. Currently supervising some SWiS candidates. I can agree with vikpaw that the IT modules/units are quite basic. These VQs are aimed at school support staff and as such are useful, in this context, for classroom practitioners and maybe junior techs. They do however offer a stepping stone to other qualifications (I think I've attached some details - sorry I'm still getting used to this editor)

Hope that helps.

7. Thanks to leco from:

wagnerk (8th February 2009)

Thank Post
    I've done the level 2 and 3, and found them quite a challenge as I have very limited contact with pupils. The evidence ended up being quite contrived, and it certainly hasn't benefitted me in any way. They were, however, free, so I can't complain.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello

I am doing it next year as it is free I think benafit in doing is by adding some of the people management stuff in if can then can use to advance bit more.

Also if do NVQ level 3 + dip then can use it to help you get on a level 4 course of some kind.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread