+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, Anyone About start MCSA,A+,N+? in Training and Courses; Well had the good news work have agreed to pay for MCSA (A+,N+) elective. Going to be self study so ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Anyone About start MCSA,A+,N+?

Well had the good news work have agreed to pay for MCSA (A+,N+) elective.

Going to be self study so if anyone else about to start it etc so we can try and keep us all going (as certainly I know i am going to need it). Then if post in this thread not sure how to make this all work in practice so open to ideas on that front.

Thank Post
    Congrats, but if they are paying then why not go away on a course, it would be faster?

Sorry anyway back to the topic, what books are you going to buy for Self Study? The MS Press books?

Amazon.co.uk: MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294): Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Core Requirements, Second Edition: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Core Requirements: Thomas, Mackin, McLean, Zacker, Spealman,

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I tried an online MCSA with a UK based company a couple of years ago. The support was almost non existent and even though I'd distance learnt with the OU before this course failed to prepare me for the rigor of MS exams. On the other hand I recently attended a 2273B course with QA-IQ - Transforming performance through learning - QA-IQ The 5 day course was just the business and well worth the money the school paid for me to attend.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I haven't got the time to do a course due to family commitments etc (easy for me to work in evening and two days a term I get off for CPD) and for me self study is better (and cheaper) way in the long run.

Plan was to do these books : -

Amazon.co.uk: MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-290): Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Environment, Second Edition: Managing ... a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment: Dan Holme and Orin Thomas: Book
    Amazon.co.uk: MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-291): Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Network Infrastructure, ... Infrastructure, Sec (Pro Certification): J.C. Mackin and Ian McLean: Books
    Amazon.co.uk: MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-270): Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Second Edition: ... Professional (Pro-Certification (Hardcover)): Walter Glenn and Tony Northrup:
    Amazon.co.uk: Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-003: David Groth, Toby Skandier: Books
    Amazon.co.uk: CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition (All-in-One): Michael Meyers: Books
    Amazon.co.uk: A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (All-In-One): Mike Meyers: Books

But I suspect I will replace ms text books with these types.

Amazon.co.uk: MCSA/MCSE Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment (Exam 70-290): Study Guide & DVD Training System: Study Guide and DVD Training System: Syngress: Books

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cool, glad you got it sorted Russ.

As you know I just started mine. Had my material delivered last weekend and couldn't believe how much there is!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I'm doing a combination of cbt and books allthough I've yet to buy the books.

Doing the cbt through mindleaders.com £130 for access to a complete range of ms course not just the mcsa requirements but a lot more.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I'm doing a combination of cbt and books allthough I've yet to buy the books.

Doing the cbt through mindleaders.com £130 for access to a complete range of ms course not just the mcsa requirements but a lot more.

Ben
    Shame didnt see that before hand as looks very interesting know if they had monthly sub like Safari books might of spent my own money on it..

Russ

Thank Post
    i used cbt nuggets and sybex books , books are great for digesting information while videos are convenient.

I like to think of it as depth and breadth, books have depth, videos have breadth.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm currently reading the MS Vista book... it's very dull and boring and I'm finding it hard to become motivated...

I have set myself a target to pass at least 2 exams by december!! Eap!

I'm going for MCSE though...

Thank Post
    i've had these (link) and this (link) for about 3 months and havn't got motivated to even open them yet....

So if you lot start then so will I !!!

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am told Microsoft press books are very dry at times. Well as they say more the merry might keep us all going. At some point will post the links I have got with various free videos and practice tests (not brain dumps) etc

Thank Post
    I'm currently studying towards MCSE (currently one off MCSA) MS books can be quite broad and a few that I've used have focussed too much on stuff that wasnt in the exams.

I've been doing mine through a training provider (paid for by me, school hasnt paid a penny towards it!) who host workshops at their centre but also have regular online discussions + email etc.

I'll post up a list of the books I've used so far if anyones interested. The exam I'm doing now (70-291) is a bit of a mare though so you may want to get more than just a book for that one

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ordered the books Friday and they turned up this morning (wasn't expecting them till middle of next week.

According to book working from should take me about 49 hours to do the A+.

So have a schedule (got to do this otherwise will end up not starting) that means should be ready for a+ by ending 26/01/2009 that is based on doing a minimum sure can add hours into the schedule.

Russell

Thank Post
    I have the MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit books,Amazon.co.uk: MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294): Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 Core Requirements, Second Edition: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Core Requirements: Thomas, Mackin, McLean, Zacker, Spealman, £90 on Amazon

These are brand new and have never been used, I am willing to sell them for less than half this if anyone is interested. I had these brought for me but never once looked at them.

Thank Post
    Was hoping to join in on this peer support group. but I'm starting on the 2008 track not 2003 I've had the MS study pack for a while now and started it (even bought a server to play around with!) but haven't got very far. I'm hoping the 5 day course in November will spur me on with this!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast