+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Courses and Training Thread, Anyone About start MCSA,A+,N+? in Training and Courses; I've just realised i'm studying quite hard, i'm half way through my study material. when i finish the computer based ...
    Thank Post
    I've just realised i'm studying quite hard, i'm half way through my study material. when i finish the computer based training i'll move onto going through my book, then i'll do l a load of practice exams.

I'm in the zone......

Thank Post
    You all seem to be working hard! Its about time I get my ass in gear! I have a month left of part time working before I start new job. Time to get that N+ out the way.

I tend to find it such a bore, specially learning all the a-b's of cable names, what speed they run etc etc.

Thank Post
    I wanted to recommend this book, its not for any particular certification but rather it is a good general non-technical book that should be useful to any NMs. It's an indepth introduction to best practices when it comes to systems admin. It doesn't tell you how to do Unix, Windows, or any given operating system. It covers principles, practices and processes at a theoretical level. Avoiding the technical configuration details, whilst indicating best practices in the field of IT.

It's an absolutely essential addition to any Systems Administrator's bookshelf.

The Practice of System and Network Administration

Whether you use Linux, Unix, or Windows, this newly revised edition describes the essential practices previously handed down only from mentor to protégé. This wonderfully lucid, often funny cornucopia of information introduces beginners to advanced frameworks valuable for their entire career, yet is structured to help even the most advanced experts through difficult projects.

The book's four major sections build your knowledge with the foundational elements of system administration. These sections guide you through better techniques for upgrades and change management, catalog best practices for IT services, and explore various management topics. Chapters are divided into The Basics and The Icing. When you get the Basics right it makes every other aspect of the job easier--such as automating the right things first. The Icing sections contain all the powerful things that can be done on top of the basics to wow customers and managers.

Inside, you'll find advice on topics such as

* The key elements your networks and systems need in order to make all other services run better
    * Building and running reliable, scalable services, including web, storage, email, printing, and remote access
    * Creating and enforcing security policies
    * Upgrading multiple hosts at one time without creating havoc
    * Planning for and performing flawless scheduled maintenance windows
    * Managing superior helpdesks and customer care
    * Avoiding the "temporary fix" trap
    * Building data centers that improve server uptime
    * Designing networks for speed and reliability
    * Web scaling and security issues
    * Why building a backup system isn't about backups
    * Monitoring what you have and predicting what you will need
    * How technically oriented workers can maintain their job's technical focus (and avoid an unwanted management role)
    * Technical management issues, including morale, organization building, coaching, and maintaining positive visibility
    * Personal skill techniques, including secrets for getting more done each day, ethical dilemmas, managing your boss, and loving your job
    * System administration salary negotiation
    Amazon.co.uk: The Practice of System and Network Administration: Thomas A. Limoncelli, Christina J. Hogan, Strata R. Chalup: Books
    Last edited by somabc; 11th November 2008 at 04:32 PM.

4. Thanks to somabc from:

russdev (11th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

PEO
    Thank Post
    A+ N+ and S+ self taught pluss MCSE 2003, now onto the new vista and 2008 server... well having a brain rest, but will be starting in the new year. Pleased to hear you are been supported

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @somabc

Dear Sir

I am going to ask dos_box to ban you since your post about the must have book for systems admins appeared it has reduced my productivity tonight to zero. If only I had started reading it another day, if only Safari hadn't got a online copy. But as it was your post that pointed me to this wonderful book I am going to hold you responsible.

Regards

Russell.

On serious note a very very good book...

Thank Post
    the 'thanks' button is on the bottom right

Another good book is Time Management for System Administrators by the same author.

freshmeat.net: Book Reviews - Time Management for System Administrators

Time Management for System Administrators
    Last edited by somabc; 11th November 2008 at 10:12 PM.

9. Thanks to somabc from:

theriver (12th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes Time management is a very good book indeed...

Russ

Thank Post
    Hi,

If anyones who needs some help with clarification on training or understanding the course they are studying for, then please PM me. I will try to get back as soon as I can but am fairly busy.

I'm a Certfied Trainer and have been teaching various courses(microsoft/comptia/cisco) etc...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am so behind with this but this term has really got away from me. got cpd day next Monday so that will help me get back on track.

Russ

Thank Post
    Just thought i'd drop a 'hang in there' note to you all, it's worth it in the end. I just took the 5th exam today and am now MCSA
    18 months, lots of waiting for exams, one exam failure and a very patient wife...
    For the record i did 271(MCP)+272(MCDST) followed by 290,291 and 270(MCSA)
    Also if it is of any help(i'm sure anyone would agree) the phrasing of the questions tends to cause more problems than the actual content(presuming you've learnt it) Oh, and forgetting how you would REALLY fix things helps a little too...
    Keep up the good work all of you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For those taking the exams, a couple of pieces of advice. Firstly read the questions very carefully, even if you don't know the answer you'll often find you can narrow it down to half the possibles simply by looking at the question.Secondly there's a strategy for simulations. To a certain degree they will only let you do things the right way. If you get stuck, simply look at all the options in the simulation and see if it jogs your memory. Once you have the correct route worked out, and the right settings, note those down and reload the simulation. That way you won't accidentally leave any settings which shouldn't have been set.Hope this comes in helpful to someone.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234