+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, Paying back training fee if i leave ?? in Training and Courses; Hello, i am a IT technician at a school in Leicestershire, i was recently sent on a Microsoft training course ...

Thank Post

Paying back training fee if i leave ??

Hello, i am a IT technician at a school in Leicestershire, i was recently sent on a Microsoft training course 70-291. This was enable me to help out more on the network side of things to help out our network manager.
    I have now been asked by the business manager to sign a contract that states that if i leave within 6 months i have to pay back 100% of the fee, between 6 months and a year 75%, between 1 year and 18 months 50% and between 18 months and 2 years 25%.

My question is are there any other technicians especially from Leicestershire that have encountered this ? The business manager says its a council policy, however the document has no logo or name on.

cheers

Thank Post
    Did you ask to go on the course? or did the school ask you to do it?

Thank Post
    If you have had the training, then why sign? They should have notified you before you took the class. There is no way I would sign that after the event.

I doubt that they could force you to sign, though you could always use the "I will check with my union rep first" bluff and see what your boss says.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    It is normal procedure but usually asked before you attend the course, i would think that it has been an afterthought on behalf of your HR or they are incredibly slow.

I wouldn't read to much into it unless you are thinking of leaving them suddenly in which they are only safeguarding themselves as would you in their position.

Thank Post
    Hi, ozzy, they asked me if i wanted to go on the course, and ICT_GUY, yeah i had the same thought, why sign if i've already done it.
    If/when i take the exam i guess they won't send me on any more training until i do sign.

thankyou

Thank Post
    Discover if teachers have to pay back training fees for courses if they leave within 2 years.

Thank Post
    It would seem reasonable to ask you to sign this before going on the course and indeed I have worked in many places where this is the norm. However to do it after attendance is unreasonable and I probably wouldn't sign it on that basis.

8. Thanks to jcollings from:

MikeW (12th October 2008)

Thank Post
    I agree, perfectly reasonable before the training. A bit unfair after. I would have a chat with your union rep. It may be that you can meet half way? Shows your willing to cooperate, but not be pushed into it!?

As for teachers getting the same treatment, doesn't a lot of their funding come from central pots rather than school budget? Worth asking though!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This kind of thing is often built into contracts and if it is then I think it's actually irrelevant if you sign an extra piece of paper before or after you go on the course.

It would be nice if you were reminded of this at the time you booked the course ...

Thank Post
    The school here is heavily into CPD and developing staff even if it meant them moving on. Nobody would be asked to sign anything like that here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello from across the pond (well the soar valley) well just about to start mcsa paid for by the school and head did say i wasn't allowed to leave for next 25 years hope he was joking

But as far as aware no official policy from Leicestershire on this certainly not seen anything on eis..

Thank Post
    perhaps you should get them to sign a piece of paper saying they wont transfer your services over to a managed service for the next 25 years

Thank Post
    Tell them you want the 2 years salary upfront as a show of good faith. That will put the wind up them .

The only problem that you face is if you refuse to sign they could be reluctant to send you on further courses.

Still I would refuse to sign on principle as this was not made clear before you took the course. Tackle any future training problems next time it comes up.

Thank Post
    I would point out that now you are better qualified that you would be happy to sign the contract if they add the cost of the course to your wage package ...
    Realistically anything that is not arranged before you were trained as a term and conditions for the school paying for the training is unreasonable. I take it your school doesn't have investors in people status !

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    As others have said, asking after you've done it is wrong, before it could be considered, also if they are wanting it signing now you want them to, on successful passing of the exam, and your certified new skills in that area, ensure that you are appropriatly paid for the proven new skills you have. I'm very sure if I'd have got my foundation degree from Lancaster Uni that my old place wouldn't have paid me the correct rate for my skills, they didn't when I didn't have bits of paper so who says they would with them!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast