+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, What do you guys think…? in Training and Courses; ...

Thank Post

What do you guys think…?

Hello EduGeeks,

I have been reading forums for a while now, made my self a member after a while of just reading your guys suggestions and tips and I enjoy reading. Although now I was kind of hopping you guys could give me some advice on what to do.

I’m 18 and live down in Bournemouth southern England; I finished my nvq 2 last year and am currently doing my nvq3 at Bournemouth college at the moment. They are going to speed everything up for me so I can complete it by September so I can go to uni this year.

I was hopping to go on and do networking with some cisco involved course. Though my problem is my work arrangement is exactly the best, its more of a place that I can run the item systems standing on my head, and im not really learning much as such.

Although I can complete the nvq3 course by just writing up info for my portfolio, I’m worried about going to uni and not knowing the basics that I might need to know for the networking and cisco course. Therefore what do you guys suggest? I was thinking of books, but I don’t know where to start to look, I found networking for dummies on the net but is that really what I need to get?.

Something I could get to read to build up my knowledge or something to work through on my own computer. Its kind of hard to get a decent job in what I can learn this with on hands experience at my age, employers are only looking for well educated people (on paper anyways) so I’ve decided to teach myself and put myself through uni and get what I need on paper.

Any help would be great. I know your all busy at work ect, but any suggestions on books or sites ect will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bod

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If uni in the uk is anything like it is in New Zealand for the networking type stuff they will start out with the very basics anyway as they have no idea of where everyone is starting from. Having some practical knowledge before hand will definatly give you a head start.

If your Uni is offering Cisco based courses the first Cisco paper will give you a very good grounding in all the basics of tcp/ip networking pretty much starting from the ground up. If you grab one of the learn CCNA Cisco books and have a bit of a read beforehand you will be miles ahead of most of the people in the course.

Thank Post
    The Cisco academy courses are great- in fact the CCNA courses cover the essentials of networking theory before anything else. Though perhaps not to the depth you need before jumping onto other things like routers and the IOS. Not to worry- grab yourself a copy of this:

Amazon.co.uk: Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Third Edition: Exam Guide (All-in-one): Michael Meyers: Books

If you have the time the certification itself is worthwhile as preparation for the Cisco course you are planning on taking. If not, just read and understand the material in the book and you will have a fantastic grounding in network theory and general configuration and troubleshooting of network issues.

HTH- and good luck!

Paul

Thank Post
    Agreed, first year Uni is like resitting College!! Anything you can read yourself beforehand will put you ahead - and if you have already decided to do Cisco, that is just easier because the syllabus is mapped out for you before you even get there pretty much - I would recommend the CCNA certification library

Amazon.co.uk: CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802) (Exam Certification Guide Series): Wendell Odom: Books

Be prepared for a jump between years 1 and 2

Andy

Thank Post
    Thanks alot guys, going to order them now. Just going to try and learn as much as possible now so i feel better prepared.

cheers again.

Thank Post
    Bournemouth University | Courses | Computer Networking (with Cisco)

that is the course btw, the course is at alot of uni's around england though, so just going to start applying now. Looks good tbh.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread