+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, degrees in Training and Courses; MCSE, CCNA or A+, N+ and Linux+ (all three CompTIA quals together) can be considered Level 4. Or MCSA plus ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: degrees

MCSE, CCNA or A+, N+ and Linux+ (all three CompTIA quals together) can be considered Level 4.

Or MCSA plus HND ...

Actually there are a lot of possibilities ... but they vary from job to job as what to accept.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    So did they say that it had to be a relevant degree or just a degree?
    Relevant degree.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 755 Posts

I think they make it up as they go along:
    In all my years of having a technical background i have come up against the "Degree syndrome" and that the powers that be who have no technical knowledge or commonsense in most cases, just an outdated degree which just states that you can learn at a specific level.
    We technical people are i believe in degree circles classed as a "necessary evil" which documents to "we need them, to be able to do our job but we must not let them know this as they might get above our station". Call me paranoid if you want but i have had thirty some years experience of this.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    It shows the other so called "teaching professionals " up when they can be replaced with a cover supervisor for the day when they are off work for whatever reason. I wonder if they could replace me as "network Manager" as easy for the same rate of pay as that of the "cover supervisor"?
    Might just have to use that one in my appraisal.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

I have a ComSc degree (and left in the black by becoming a contractor through uni doing programming jobs) and currently doing the CCNA and I have 5 years of IT industry experiance, which means that I'm over qualified for most of the low end jobs, and under experianced for most well-paying IT jobs.

So i'm stuck as a network manager, working under the pay and title of IT Technician. YAY.
    I should have become a mechanic.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

I have seen this recently, applied for a job recently and it didnt say owt about a degree just experience, well I have bucked loads of that, went for interview, and got we see you don't have a degree, this post doesn't require one but we have a few applicants that have them, why don't you have one! Well lets look at the facts in my view, most of them I bet have that and no educational IT management experience, and if they look at my CV they would see that I manage a large amount of networks and have had no time in my carrer to study for a degree either full or part time. It does annoy me!

I will add that I failed to get the position, still waiting for feedback as to why I didn't get it, I suspect the degree will have been part of it.

Anyway, trainings back on my list as I want a job change, less hours, more money, better prospects so this is valid again,

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

John: Sorry to hear that. Just think of it as their loss: They're getting less-experience people in who have a piece that says they can do a job but probably no real-world experience to back it up with.

Thank Post

Thanks Craig, I will find my ideal job some day, just gotta keep searching and trying. I think they should visit each canditates current site and see how big a smouldering heap they have as part of the process to help judge how they manage at present, and they could look at all my sites and go yup they are grade A* sites But until then, good references are all I have to go with my CV.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

If its any consolation, whe I'm in interview panels or helping to shortlist candidates for techie positions I place degrees in third place behind experience and professional quals.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    If its any consolation, whe I'm in interview panels or helping to shortlist candidates for techie positions I place degrees in third place behind experience and professional quals.
    That's saying something... knowing how highly you regard certain proffesional qualifications that will go un-named

Thank Post

That sounds a good plan to me DB, any chance of a nice position in the Lancs / Yorks border area, Lancaster, Burnley, Nelson, Colne, Clitheroe areas etc are good

Thank Post

There would have been a vacancy in Colne had I moved on... Oh well one day

Thank Post

You use Linux don't ya Chris, and Linux and me don't really mix, Censornet is about as much as I can manage! and you use other weird stuff as well don't ya so it would probably not be the place for me unless they are prepared to be re-educated in MS technologies

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes I think he uses that weird Terminal Services thingy, nobody else uses it so you could always replace it with Ranger :P (EDIT: Or is that Ric_? Am I cracking up? Have I finally lost it? Find out next time . ops: :? )

*runs in opposite direction from Chris*

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Or get rid of them completely and go for Macs ... or dig out some Acorns ...

*me runs faster than Russ*

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information