+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, degrees in Training and Courses; Originally Posted by Pear I started a HND/Foundation degree in September. I do it part time, 4 modules at a ...

Thank Post

Re: degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Pear
    I started a HND/Foundation degree in September. I do it part time, 4 modules at a total of £640 a year (better than £3k) which I have to pay myself (although there are grants). I go down on Thursday evenings and Fridays. I get all of Friday off work but have to make it up the rest of the week and holidays. The 4 modules I do count towards whatever degree I end up doing in the end. I think its 18 I have to do to get a full degree.

The ones I have been doing this year are:
    Web Development which is using photoshop and dreamweaver, learning xhtml and css.
    Problem Solving, general maths and not much fun.
    System analysis and design which is mainly about databases.
    C++ programming.

It hasn't just taught me how to use computers but how to apply my brain to certain challenges.
    IS that 4 modules at a time or 4 modules over a year? We are the 2nd cohort going through the Foundation Degree at Brighton Uni and before it was decided to take over from HND. This means we have been doing 3 modules a semester (so 6 a year) and now find that we will be shafted a bit as the new course will be cut back to less. All our tutors have commented on the workload compared to HND's but I fear that there will be nothing doing.
    I would love to stop and go do a degree in Network Engineering or BSc but I don't think I could stop working to do it (Ok I just love the money!). I feel now I am at point that I don't want to be learning the concepts, as a degree should be doing, but want specific knowledge and the recognition that I am able to do it.

Thank Post

I feel that my degree was mainly a very good solid theoretical grounding in Computer Science and that is how it must be treated. It was not vendor specific - neither was it an industry qualification - those I will have to gain whilst moving up in my career.

However, I believe that it DOES make employers take you seriously - especially if you can back up a good academic background with experience AND industry qualifications such as a CCNA/CCNP (amongst others).

I feel that each of these on there own will not make you particularly employable - but if you can combine all of them:

Degree - Experience - Industry Quals + Good interpersonal skills (a balanced individual).

.....then you are in a good position to move up quickly in your chosen career.

Pete

Thank Post

Personally I would rather have an MSCE and CCNA than a degree.

Most jobs do not ask for a degree but rather experience and the right industry recognised qualifications. I think a degree is handle when you get into management level. Management means coordinating a team of people who have the right skills which you may not have.

Thank Post

im an IT technician with no IT qualifications of any sort!

perhaps lookig for an MCSE though seems to be what people are looking for round here, that and experience.

Thank Post

I'm currently a VI Form student and also a Student ICT technician at my school. This means that i 've gained a lot of experience in ICT support and various server technologies.

I have been very lucky to have been involved from the beginning of this network build (ie server 2k3 + AD etc as opposed to RM's CC3) meaning that i've been able to be taught and experienced the new technology as it was implemented. Due to this "watching + learning" i have been able to replicate a lot of stuff on servers at home. I have also been given chances to implement new technologies and management systems. We were using OTRS helpdesk that was implemented by a techie that left and didnt set it up right. So I moved us over to liberum which suits are needs much better than OTRS. I was also responsible for the implementation of windows media server for various things.

The advice i have recieved from from technicians at the school and ones that have visited from external companies has been varied. Some say to go and do my Cisco and Microsoft certifications, not a degree, and go straight into the world of work. But i've decided on a route i've found for myself.

I'm starting a Network Engineering (BEng) degree at stafford university in september and that will allow me to also get my CCNA at the same time.

This degree incorparates a placement year in the third year so anyone looking for a partly qualified network engineer in 2009/2010 let me know

But i've descovered that ICT and LANS are something i love and ICT support is something i enjoy doing, and obviously it's something i want to persue as a career. Seeing as i've had experience of the education sector i think it'd do me good to get experience of the corporate sector too.

Can anyone shed any light on which they have found to be the best line of employment so far? Educational, Coporate or sort of LEA level GfL management?

Joe

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries

The problem with MCSE's is that they don't last forever. The courses at Lancaster Uni are well worth the money though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

MSCE,
    Cisco CNA,
    BCS level 2,
    BSc. (Hons) Software Eng.

Thank Post

I've started a foundation degree at Lancs Uni, it's a lot more relevant than the OU course, and slighly cheaper. If you go for the bogstandard degree in Networking and Systems, it's about £2k, and there is a discount for edugeek members.

Thank Post

I would agree with some of the sentiments the cost effectiveness of the whole degree element calls into question the relevance, where the financial reward are incompatible with the debt. For some the relevant pay scale will diminish the worry of carrying this amount of debt and statistically probably more beneficial than not.

Does the kudos of having studied in a premier university have any bearing on employment and would experience ever surpass qualifications.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts

As i have spent the last six years gaining qualifications that i thought would take me up the ladder of success (HNC/HND, degree computer science,, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+ etc) i have been constantly reminded of the fact i am in education and that i am only regarded as a "support member of Staff" and not a "teaching member of Staff" and so my remittance for this is far less than my professional counterpart, although they have considerably less qualifications and have probably never had to update for the past 30 years. Why is this?, could anybody tell me?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

@bossman
    Simply coz we are not regarded as highly in society as teachers.
    There are more support staff PhD's than teachers in this school - yet support staff get paid less, have worse holidays, worse job security etc.
    UK schools are a very strange environment indeed, probably you won't see anything like in any other sectors, anywhere.

Thank Post

I have no qualifications above my three A-levels. I do however have ten years IT experience in a range of sectors and roles which employers seem to love. I have found that employers are more than happy to waive the degree requirement in preference of experience.

There is one caveat however - it has taken more 8 and half years to break the legendary £20K barrier.

Thank Post

It really is pathetic that the people who have the deciding rights to better pay and conditions cannot themselves use computers or any other form of technology without us experts to guide them (show them what to do). Our LEA has me and webman down as lab technicians in the Sims personel cos this is the only discription we are known as to the "education sector" So they don't understand that systems have become more complex and that they require both knowledge and experience to run them.
    It shows the other so called "teaching professionals " up when they can be replaced with a cover supervisor for the day when they are off work for whatever reason. I wonder if they could replace me as "network Manager" as easy for the same rate of pay as that of the "cover supervisor"?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Dude
    Personally I would rather have an MSCE and CCNA than a degree.

Most jobs do not ask for a degree but rather experience and the right industry recognised qualifications. I think a degree is handle when you get into management level. Management means coordinating a team of people who have the right skills which you may not have.
    I have an MCSA and 6 years experience and after applying for a deputy position at a college recently I was told although they though my resume was very impressive and they would have liked to talk to me further I was not shortlisted because I did not have a degree or and equivalent professional qualification. Still at least I know what a level 4 qualification is now as nobody here had a clue
    ps MCSA was counted as a level 3 qualification

Thank Post

So did they say that it had to be a relevant degree or just a degree?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information