+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Courses and Training Thread, Training Ideas Poll in Training and Courses; A Question for you all if could access free online training (probably moodle based). What would you want in terms ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Training Ideas Poll

A Question for you all if could access free online training (probably moodle based). What would you want in terms of both technical and non-technical (career based stuff).

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Training Ideas Poll

For CPD, ITIL (the IT Infrastructure Library) would be handy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informa...ucture_Library

LPI for technical (most of the information is published free already)
    http://www.lpi.org/en/lpi/english

Thank Post

Something linked with a recognised industry-standard qualification is always handy. As is the case in schools, we always have to use self-study due to the laughable budgets available for our training so it may as well result in something useful at the end.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hmm..

Keep ideas coming

Russell

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    A Question for you all if could access free online training (probably moodle based). What would you want in terms of both technical and non-technical (career based stuff).

Russ

good cisco online training is rare. So definitely Cisco plus a little bit beyond CCNA and CCNP into voice, wireless and security.

In terms of career professional development I would favour ITSM and Project Management (project management would cover use of a professional tool such as MS Project and theory such as Six Sigma)

UML training is also very rare, and is an area that's becoming increasingly important particularly when you look at the web framework models and how they use UML techniques.

Microsoft CRM.

Thank Post

Something linked to the microsoft qualifications would be good, as I've always found it difficult to find a source that is reliable to get training for these qualifications. Sure there's plenty out there, but some is rubbish, others are very over priced and if you're new to that sort of training it's difficult to know who or where to trust for the right training.

Non-technical training, well with goverment policies and health and safety requirements always changing, these are two obvious areas where training is useful, but surprisingly difficult to obtain!

Mike.

Thank Post

I second torledo's idea of the project management theory, and defiantly the UML stuff. I managed to miss doing anything about formal design patterns and suchlike at university (or maybe they just hadn't been invented yet!), so a definite yes there.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    I second torledo's idea of the project management theory, and defiantly the UML stuff. I managed to miss doing anything about formal design patterns and suchlike at university (or maybe they just hadn't been invented yet!), so a definite yes there.

--
    David Hicks
    They covered UML in some computing modules when I was at uni....the tool of choice was SSADM from what I recall. I know there are a number of open source UML tools currently.

The trouble with UML was it was merely the starting point for application development...ergo a tool for programmers not for sysadmins who were'nt seriously into programming - after all you still had to actually go away and write the darn application in C++ or Java (Not fun).

Entity Relationship diagrams were more relevant for a sysadmin as a tool for database design....But I hope in the not too distant future UML can be an everyman tool for creating real applications with minimual fuss because hopefully web frameworks whether they be php, python or .NET based, can follow a process-centric model for developing applications, what i mean by that is this....you design the application using a UML interface in Visual Studio or Eclipse as a logical block diagram and then code can be automaically generated for all aspects i.e text fields, buttons, business logic etc. based on the UML flow diagram you've created. This would be different from a WYSIWIG drag and drop approach becuase you'd be using formulated processes and business rules to design you're app. This will put power in the hands of those who understand the requirements of their application but who may not necessarily be good programmers. And I think this can work for small projects.

I'm not that familiar with VS or Eclipse so i don't know if something similar is already available for RAD. I'd imagine something like Rational Rose can do this but again I'm not aware of it.

Thank Post

ITIL would a be suitable Service management course as FITS is derived from ITIL, but there is no FITS qualification yet. Prince2 is the 'standard' local govt project management qualification.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    ITIL would a be suitable Service management course as FITS is derived from ITIL, but there is no FITS qualification yet. Prince2 is the 'standard' local govt project management qualification.
    Yes, Prince2 would be a better all-round PM methodology than six sigma which is more geared towards Quality Assurance. QA is still important but is a specific problem six sigma was devised to solve. Very popular with manufacturing types..

Ofcourse what's most useful to me is understanding how best to use PM techniques and how to apply those techniques when using a software tool such as Project at the outset of an IT project. Rather than understanding Prince inside out to become a PM pro. We had a PM champion at my last job and I can honestly say I can't think of anything more boring than planning other peoples projects and going around hitting people with a big stick to ensure they project manage rather than rush headlong into the techincal bits.

PM is vital to ensure successful delivery of you're IT projects and getting the most out of PM software tools but I'm hoping none of us actually want to end up being PM gurus.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Silly question but can you get online syllabus to microsoft and cisco courses etc.

Russ

Thank Post
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...3/default.mspx

then click on the courses should give you the ms stuff.

Thank Post
    You can get information on the content of the Cisco courses here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/ne...log/index.html

If you can get hold of the on line materials that cisco produce it'd be even more useful. If you're studying a Cisco course you can download them in a .zip archive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right follow on question how would you see the perfect free online training?

Thank Post
    Right follow on question how would you see the perfect free online training?
    Moodle course

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast