+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, Network+...Where to go from here in Training and Courses; Hi all, brand new to this site, thought it was about time i got involved. I am currently studying my ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Network+...Where to go from here

Hi all, brand new to this site, thought it was about time i got involved.

I am currently studying my CompTIA Network+ course and i am due to complete it in February, and i have already completed CompTIA A+, along side also having an NVQ Level 2 in IT systems.

My question is where should i go from here, and what options are available to me?? And what do potential future Employers look for?

Any advice appreciated, but especially looking for people who have done what i have done

Regards.

Thank Post
    TBH, the list is endless...

You could see about doing the NVQ 3 in IT Systems (or equivalent) or jump straight onto the HNC in Computing course.

You could look at getting FITS, ITIL or MOF - best/good practice certs.

If you're looking at technology based certs, there's the Security+ and Server+ (both from Comptia) or if you work with specific technology, you could start working towards the MCSA (from Microsoft), the ACSP/ACTC (from Apple) and/or the RHCSA (from Redhat, a Linux distro).

As to what potential future Employers look for... Employers look for rounded people (I won't say well rounded people as certain skills will be developed on the job), people that have technical skills, soft skills, some with certain qualifications (this is dependent on the job and the organisation itself) and some don't require qualifications...

One other thing that you may be interested in is either the ICTTech professional registration from the ECUK or the higher CITP from the BCS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks for your input

I am currently in work so it is something i'd have to do outside of work hours, i cant seem to find any information regarding NVQ Level 3 in IT Systems...especially in my area (Milton Keynes) i know there was a level 3 apprenticeship course offered but it got cancelled, hence i did the Network+ instead in order to meet some of my work targets (which includes furthering education)

With a view towards MCSA, where else would i need to go from Network+? i remember seeing before about the trio of comptia quals (A+, Network+, Security+) looks good on a cv.... ( i also think doing those three gains you a seperate qualification altogether...)

any further help from anyone appreciated.

Thank Post
    I'd personally go Microsoft, its on pretty much every tech job spec i ever see.

MCSE: Server Infrastructure | Microsoft

MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure | Microsoft

You should look in to exams 410,411 and 412 first. These grant you the MCSA status, which can then be added to to give you a grander title

"You could look at getting FITS, ITIL or MOF - best/good practice certs." this is the other thing you should look in to as it brings a whole new side to your IT game from a CV perspective. If your looking purely to boost your CV, ITIL foundation would be a good shout.

As for training locally, the higher up you go in terms of qualifications (the A+ would be considered entry level). Generally the further away you have to look (especially if price is a key factor). You might also want to look at online learning, or a combo of hands on + online training to get you to a point to take your exams.

Be careful as some qualifications do require you sit an official course before sitting an exam. If your not sure post up on here and someone will help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread