+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, Open University - Help !!!! in Training and Courses; Hello Guys, I am currently working as a part time IT Technician in a school , as well as being ...

Thank Post

Post Open University - Help !!!!

Hello Guys,

I am currently working as a part time IT Technician in a school , as well as being a full time Sixth Form Student. The time is coming for me to finish education and i am hoping to stay at school to be a full time IT Technician, Someone suggest to go the Head with a plan of some sort, Now i would like to do an Open Degree whilst working but i am not sure what courses would be available to do so, Basically what courses would suit an IT Technician Job.

Ideas Please Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJames View Post
    ...Now i would like to do an Open Degree whilst working but i am not sure what courses would be available to do so, Basically what courses would suit an IT Technician Job.

Ideas Please Thanks
    I don't know/I can't advise on all the modules or courses for you for the full Open degree, however the following modules would/could be useful:

TM128 Microsoft server technologies, this year (Oct 2013) will be the last time this module will be running as the course itself will be update and there's no ETA on when this will happen.
    M258 IT project and service management, this is a new module that deals with ITIL and project management

If you can also do the prerequisites (certain OU modules and certain MS exams) in time, the following module would be great in order to get the points towards your degree:

MT127 Accreditation of Certificated Practitioners 1
    TM227 Accreditation of Certificated Practitioners 2

These 4 modules together total 120 points. However contact the OU student services to confirm that all 4 can be put towards the Open degree.

I guess just a few modules for you to think about

-Ken
    Last edited by wagnerk; 3rd May 2013 at 05:40 PM.

3. Thanks to wagnerk from:

sjatkn (3rd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Over the last few years I've done a few courses. If you are intending to do OU courses be advised it can take over your life!

T215 is interesting, has some cisco and wifi stuff in there. Pretty intense though.

Depending how long you're planning on doing the degree, I'd suggest doing the management B628 and B629 In a few years. These will give you a really good understanding of management and allow you to progress further than technician in the log term.

Thank Post
    If you live around London, have a look at Birkbeck College, they are specialize in part time courses, I used to register for a few modules at OU, but never had a chance to finish those modules due to lacking of motivation!

Thank Post
    Not an Open University course and "only" level 2, but one of our local techies is working through this. They are employed full time and have managed to negotiate the school paying for the modules and giving them a morning a week to work on it. I'm sure the more knowledgeable folk on here will comment on it's suitability....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Not an Open University course and "only" level 2, but one of our local techies is working through this. They are employed full time and have managed to negotiate the school paying for the modules and giving them a morning a week to work on it. I'm sure the more knowledgeable folk on here will comment on it's suitability....
    Bascially it's the Comptia A+ in a Edexcel wrap

Nothing wrong with that...

Thank Post
    I would suggest studying towards one of their IT-related diplomas first. I worked towards the Diploma in Computing (D12) and then carried on to get the Bachelor of Science Open (BD) - I was aiming at a named degree but decided to call it a day in 2007 after 6 years or so of studying. However, the OU can get you hooked so I'm getting my kicks with TM128 at the moment. Not that I studied much of it as I got a new job in a school when the course started - my Network Manager left before the academic started and I was left to manage a High School on my own for 3 months - funny what you learn when the pressure is on...

If it helps the courses I did are below -

T228 Cisco networking - Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) (2007)
    MT262 Putting computer systems to work (2006)
    M301 Software systems and their development (2004)
    TT281 The client side of application development (2003)
    M206 Computing: an object-oriented approach (2001)
    T223 Microprocessor-based computers (2000)
    T171 You, your computer and the net (2000)

Good luck ;-)

Charles

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread