+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, CCNA with the OU in Training and Courses; I am on my way to signing up with the OU to do a CCNA course. It is also looks ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

CCNA with the OU

I am on my way to signing up with the OU to do a CCNA course. It is also looks like I have to take the exam separately. Any words of wisdom out there?

Thank Post

Re: CCNA with the OU

I asked on a few forums about doing the CCNA with the OU etc and was more or less advised to get a decent book, emulator and then just pay for the exam when I was ready, far cheaper and no pressure to do it in X number of months.

This was the set of books I was looking at getting, comes with a switch simulator etc:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cisco-CCNA-N...6753253&sr=8-8

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by nicholab
    I am on my way to signing up with the OU to do a CCNA course. It is also looks like I have to take the exam separately. Any words of wisdom out there?
    I wouldn't do it like that as there are Chapter Tests after each Chapter that have to be passed to go on to the next chapter..

I would find a ocal computer training centre (ones for refugees and such) and try to get on a free CCNA course there as they will help you through the chapters

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad
    I asked on a few forums about doing the CCNA with the OU etc and was more or less advised to get a decent book, emulator and then just pay for the exam when I was ready, far cheaper and no pressure to do it in X number of months.

This was the set of books I was looking at getting, comes with a switch simulator etc:
    I agree with you mate CCNA is usefull, but bloody boring

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmad

I agree with this POV but with the caveat that some people benefit much more from structured courses than by learning themselves. If your self disciplined then just get the books - if you think you'll deviate too much without being hassled by a tutor then enrole.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

I would if you can get on a structured course locally if possible as it can be a little boring on your own and some of it can be a little complex at times.

Thank Post

plenty of books out there pluss download the sim and have a look on emule you will be fine, any help you need is here. courses are IMO a waste of money and time. the end off module exams are to see how you are doing. personally i think its a load of rubbish.

Thank Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCNA-Officia...6753253&sr=8-8

These are the books I have - haven't passed it yet, so can't comment on the effectiveness of them - but I am enjoying them. There is a limited version of the Boson Simulator included with labs particular to the CCNA. What can be worth doing (and what I have started) is you can get cheap (ish) Cisco gear off EBay and build your own labs!

On another note, I am doing an OU course in another subject 0 the materials are excellent.

Andy

Thank Post

Hi all i am ccna passed with 100% (not trying to be bigheaded, more luck than anything)which really suprised me i went on a week long boot camp with the training camp having put myself through the paces before hand with as much pre-course material as possible.
    my advice:
    make sure you can subnet and supernet in your head, get plenty of hands on switches and routers, the sims are brilliant invest in them! get an exam cram to summarize it all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have a CCNA CBT nuggets tutorial DVD that someone gave me, you can borrow it if you like. Its the 640 - 801 exam, i think this is the one here http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=41 I will see if i can dig it out.

Thank Post

I'm doing a joblot of Cisco stuff at uni at the moment.

I've got CCNA 1 and 2. Starting CCNA 3 and 4 and bits of CCNP next semester, Currently doing Fundamentals of Network Security (another cisco thingy) and IP Telephony (yes you guessed it...more cisco).

Can you tell my Uni is a Cisco academy? I think it's worth doing purely because i find it interesting, never mind that it looks good on your CV because you've shown willing in the area of CPD.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would just like to confirm the link about the DVD i sent is the same one.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread