+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, Introduction to BASIC IT and day-to-day usage in Training and Courses; Morning/Afternoon/Evening all! I was dealing with an Internal member of Staff this morning who was not to familiar with computers ...
    Thank Post

Introduction to BASIC IT and day-to-day usage

Morning/Afternoon/Evening all!

I was dealing with an Internal member of Staff this morning who was not to familiar with computers (ie wasn't able to do basic office duties using Office 07, struggled using IE, etc). This got me thinking a little, as a large number of Internal Staff we have at Testing Centers are a little bit elderly (Not wanting to sound insulting to anyone old, and no - I'm DEFINATELY not going to put an age to that!!!!), it might be an idea to knock up a training package that shows them in very slow time how to do basic IT tasks (ie switching default printers, mapping drives, creating folders, etc) and day-to-day Office tasks (downloading/uploading to Sharepoint, sending emails, adding attachments, etc).

I'm also looking at an Intro to IT for any new starters to our Support Team here - so this would cover things like basic Windows XP/7 troubleshooting, network connectivity checks, etc.

I have a rough idea of what I'd *like* to include, but was curious - what sort of things would other people be tempted to include to make life easier for people who are struggling with using their PC's?

Once I've got an idea, I'll start knocking up a basic training package (Presentations, crib sheets, videos, etc) and pop it on here for people to use/hand out/print out and make a fort with. It might save repeat calls/jobs, it might educate people a bit, you never know.

*Digs in and waits for incoming*

2. Thanks to happymeal from:

visioN (1st May 2013)

Thank Post
    "Once I've got an idea, I'll start knocking up a basic training package (Presentations, crib sheets, videos, etc) and pop it on here for people to use/hand out/print out and make a fort with. It might save repeat calls/jobs, it might educate people a bit, you never know."

I would go about this a completely different way......

From experience I would only develop presentations, cribs and vids as something to act as a reference after you have trained a group or individual user. Try not to develop any training from how you would like to learn the content, but try to think of this from your day to day experience in dealing with your end users.

The most common mistake when developing something like this is to think that the staff will eagerly take away some content and use any form of resource (even Google) in an attempt to clarify something you have developed and for whatever reason they don't understand.

You will need to deliver sessions to the staff face to face to get the best out of any training that you develop, as you are dealing with a mixed group of people, each with different personalities and ways of learning. For example if someone doesn't like to ask questions, is shy or simply doesn't want to look "stupid" in front of the group, you need to pick this up. Give each of the delegates a PC and let them get hands on and make mistakes.

Try to keep the groups small, and target different areas they need training in to do their jobs both quicker and smarter and keep the sessions short. The training has to be relevant from the off or you will be fighting an up hill battle.

How you deliver the training is massively important, be self critical, you aren't their tech support but their trainer for the slot. These are two very different things. keep things fun and give them ownership of what they are doing, for example: let them name folders if you are teaching them about saving work correctly or write about their pet dog Mimi, in a word training session.

Basically don't over do the materials and don't bother reinventing the wheel. Use resources that can be found online to support what you deliver and concentrate on learning/planning how you will deliver this face to face.

There is a real art to training and this may well be more of an exercise in developing your skills than anything else.

one more thing; training users in notoriously difficult, so get them to fill out an anonymous feedback sheets at the end of each session, this will be great for you to see how you getting on.

GOOD LUCK!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread