+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Firefox Search Plugin in EduGeek Stuff; Hi, Just wondering if there is any chance of getting an Edugeek Search plugin for the search bar in Firefox? ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Worthing, West Sussex
    Posts
    864
    Thank Post
    19
    Thanked 74 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    34

    Firefox Search Plugin

    Hi,

    Just wondering if there is any chance of getting an Edugeek Search plugin for the search bar in Firefox?

    Have looked at the IE method for adding search engines which don't have a plug in but I don't think that will work because Edugeek doesn't seem to pass the search query and parameters in the URL.

    Would be very useful though!

    :-)

  2. #2

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,706
    Thank Post
    906
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445
    It is coming soon

  3. #3

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,073
    Thank Post
    1,792
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Rep Power
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    It is coming soon
    Just when I've given up with FF in disgust and switched to Chrome

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Worthing, West Sussex
    Posts
    864
    Thank Post
    19
    Thanked 74 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    It is coming soon
    Excellent

  5. #5

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    4,954
    Thank Post
    862
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    617
    Ideally, I'd like a USB-attached Big Red Button that I can hit with my fist to take a screenshot and post a thread automatically with the subject "Help! I'm stuck in $program". Even better if it delivers an EduHobNob from a slot underneath each time as well.

    Failing that, a search bar would be dead handy, aye

  6. #6

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,706
    Thank Post
    906
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Just when I've given up with FF in disgust and switched to Chrome
    Chrome *should* get extra options too.

  7. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

    elsiegee40 (18th January 2012)

  8. #7


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,900
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Rep Power
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    Have looked at the IE method for adding search engines which don't have a plug in but I don't think that will work because Edugeek doesn't seem to pass the search query and parameters in the URL.
    I normally use Google to search EduGeek with Internet Explorer. Shown below is part of my Unattend.xml for Windows 7 which sets up the search providers during the install process.

    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SearchScopes>
                    <Scope wcm:action="add">
                        <ScopeKey>Search1</ScopeKey>
                        <ScopeDisplayName>Google</ScopeDisplayName>
                        <ShowSearchSuggestions>true</ShowSearchSuggestions>
                        <SuggestionsURL>http://clients5.google.com/complete/search?hl={language}&amp;q={searchTerms}&amp;client=ie8&amp;inputencoding={inputEncoding}&amp;outputencoding={outputEncoding}</SuggestionsURL>
                        <ScopeUrl>http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&amp;q={searchTerms}&amp;meta=</ScopeUrl>
                        <FaviconURL>http://www.google.co.uk/favicon.ico</FaviconURL>
                        <ScopeDefault>true</ScopeDefault>
                    </Scope>
                    <Scope wcm:action="add">
                        <ScopeDefault>false</ScopeDefault>
                        <ScopeDisplayName>EduGeek</ScopeDisplayName>
                        <ScopeKey>Search2</ScopeKey>
                        <ScopeUrl>http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&amp;q=site:www.edugeek.net+{searchTerms}</ScopeUrl>
                        <ShowSearchSuggestions>false</ShowSearchSuggestions>
                        <FaviconURL>http://www.edugeek.net/favicon.ico</FaviconURL>
                    </Scope>                
                    <Scope wcm:action="add">
                        <ScopeDefault>false</ScopeDefault>
                        <ScopeDisplayName>Server Fault</ScopeDisplayName>
                        <ScopeKey>Search3</ScopeKey>
                        <ScopeUrl>http://serverfault.com/search?q={searchTerms}</ScopeUrl>
                        <ShowSearchSuggestions>false</ShowSearchSuggestions>
                        <FaviconURL>http://sstatic.net/serverfault/img/favicon.ico</FaviconURL>
                    </Scope>
                    <Scope wcm:action="add">
                        <ScopeDefault>false</ScopeDefault>
                        <ScopeDisplayName>Super User</ScopeDisplayName>
                        <ScopeKey>Search4</ScopeKey>
                        <ScopeUrl>http://superuser.com/search?q={searchTerms}</ScopeUrl>
                        <ShowSearchSuggestions>false</ShowSearchSuggestions>
                        <FaviconURL>http://sstatic.net/superuser/img/favicon.ico</FaviconURL>
                    </Scope>
                </SearchScopes>
                <Home_Page>http://www.google.co.uk/</Home_Page>
                <DisableAccelerators>false</DisableAccelerators>
                <DisableFirstRunWizard>true</DisableFirstRunWizard>
                <DisableOOBAccelerators>false</DisableOOBAccelerators>
                <DisableWelcomePage>true</DisableWelcomePage>
            </component>
        </settings>
    </unattend>
    There is another way of adding your own search providers to IE, but I can't find the link at the moment.

  9. Thanks to Arthur from:

    ZeroHour (20th January 2012)

  10. #8

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,706
    Thank Post
    906
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I normally use Google to search EduGeek with Internet Explorer. Shown below is part of my Unattend.xml for Windows 7 which sets up the search providers during the install process.

    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SearchScopes>
                    <Scope wcm:action="add">
                        <ScopeKey>Search1</ScopeKey>
                        <ScopeDisplayName>Google</ScopeDisplayName>
                        <ShowSearchSuggestions>true</ShowSearchSuggestions>
                        <SuggestionsURL>http://clients5.google.com/complete/search?hl={language}&amp;q={searchTerms}&amp;client=ie8&amp;inputencoding={inputEncoding}&amp;outputencoding={outputEncoding}</SuggestionsURL>
                        <ScopeUrl>http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&amp;q={searchTerms}&amp;meta=</ScopeUrl>
                        <FaviconURL>http://www.google.co.uk/favicon.ico</FaviconURL>
                        <ScopeDefault>true</ScopeDefault>
                    </Scope>
                    <Scope wcm:action="add">
                        <ScopeDefault>false</ScopeDefault>
                        <ScopeDisplayName>EduGeek</ScopeDisplayName>
                        <ScopeKey>Search2</ScopeKey>
                        <ScopeUrl>http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&amp;q=site:www.edugeek.net+{searchTerms}</ScopeUrl>
                        <ShowSearchSuggestions>false</ShowSearchSuggestions>
                        <FaviconURL>http://www.edugeek.net/favicon.ico</FaviconURL>
                    </Scope>                
                    <Scope wcm:action="add">
                        <ScopeDefault>false</ScopeDefault>
                        <ScopeDisplayName>Server Fault</ScopeDisplayName>
                        <ScopeKey>Search3</ScopeKey>
                        <ScopeUrl>http://serverfault.com/search?q={searchTerms}</ScopeUrl>
                        <ShowSearchSuggestions>false</ShowSearchSuggestions>
                        <FaviconURL>http://sstatic.net/serverfault/img/favicon.ico</FaviconURL>
                    </Scope>
                    <Scope wcm:action="add">
                        <ScopeDefault>false</ScopeDefault>
                        <ScopeDisplayName>Super User</ScopeDisplayName>
                        <ScopeKey>Search4</ScopeKey>
                        <ScopeUrl>http://superuser.com/search?q={searchTerms}</ScopeUrl>
                        <ShowSearchSuggestions>false</ShowSearchSuggestions>
                        <FaviconURL>http://sstatic.net/superuser/img/favicon.ico</FaviconURL>
                    </Scope>
                </SearchScopes>
                <Home_Page>http://www.google.co.uk/</Home_Page>
                <DisableAccelerators>false</DisableAccelerators>
                <DisableFirstRunWizard>true</DisableFirstRunWizard>
                <DisableOOBAccelerators>false</DisableOOBAccelerators>
                <DisableWelcomePage>true</DisableWelcomePage>
            </component>
        </settings>
    </unattend>
    There is another way of adding your own search providers to IE, but I can't find the link at the moment.
    Thanks for that, I may tweak that to use our search engine direct for those that want that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. firefox plugin
    By browolf in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th September 2009, 08:00 PM
  2. New Site Feature: IE7 and FireFox search provider
    By ZeroHour in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 5th August 2008, 11:25 AM
  3. Firefox web developement plugin
    By edie209 in forum Web Development
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4th September 2007, 05:10 PM
  4. media player plugin for firefox
    By alonebfg in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th April 2007, 10:40 AM
  5. Anyone deployed Firefox?
    By eejit in forum Windows
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 1st July 2005, 09:23 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •