+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Member 'expert' status suggestion in EduGeek Stuff; vikpaw sums up my view to be honest...

Thank Post
    vikpaw sums up my view to be honest

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    vikpaw sums up my view to be honest
    thanks - do i 'thank' you or 'rep' you or is this thread in a sidepot?

Thank Post
    I agree with vikpaw and witch.

As I previously stated I think the existing system is fine, I've never had a problem with any of the advice given and find it better to take a look at all advice given before making a final decision, it would be daft to simply apply the suggestion solution of any one person (despite their level of knowledge) as sometimes the message can become garbled and they misinterpret you post and vice-versa. It also seems to suggest that anyone without a badge is therefore going to be overlooked, as by implication they must be a newbie, unreliable or unhelpful etc. Also, perhaps there could be badges for those who give poor advice so we can ignore them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Nobody at fault but an example of Good Advice gone awry: SIMS crashing out when running a report
    Even 'experts' get it wrong if they misunderstand the problem or it's not communicated in a way they understand. No offense to the OP who had little experience of SIMS.

EDIT: and by " 'experts' " i mean people who i respect and value the opinion of in this particular area, though the list is not limited to just the posters in this thread, and includes a far wider range of members.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 1st July 2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: clarify 'expert' !

Thank Post
    Re - slagging off MCSE / CCNA / etc quals : But there are also those who seriously study and deserve the qualification on their own merit
    Like me for instance (once needed to be able to tick the MSCE box on job applications, no courses, bootcamps or braindumps involved) ;b

I'm slagging off people with acronym collections in signatures: There are exceptions to the rule, but they are apparently trying to prove something and IME that can often extend to compulsively posting cocky, irresponsible "answers" above those sigs on issues where they're out of their depth.

I think all this is an attempt to solve the wrong problem and it's not that big a problem to begin with: I'd be more interested in trying to minimise the number of people asserting broken tech memes that can break other peoples systems i.e. encourage them to be a bit more [bleeping] responsible. If you aren't 100% sure about whatever from personal experience then just use a bit of simple cautious language to indicate that e.g. "I'm not sure, but in principle... blah-blah-blah".

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345