+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
Comments and Suggestions Thread, What on earth is... in EduGeek Stuff; What's the point?...
  1. #16


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,463
    Thank Post
    1,462
    Thanked 892 Times in 573 Posts
    Rep Power
    647
    What's the point?

  2. #17

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,517
    Thank Post
    526
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    923
    When someone mentions you in a post, you get a notification in the top right. So it draws your attention to a topic you may not have spotted.

  3. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

    damien.deakes (11th June 2010), powdarrmonkey (11th June 2010)

  4. #18

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,867
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 778 Times in 651 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Sweet monkey Tuesdays, we have become Twitter without the character limit.

  5. #19

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,420
    Thank Post
    644
    Thanked 966 Times in 666 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    328
    This feature was requested/suggested a while ago. I think it's beneficial.

  6. Thanks to webman from:

    Gatt (11th June 2010)

  7. #20

    Gatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,819
    Thank Post
    881
    Thanked 685 Times in 454 Posts
    Rep Power
    505
    @webman: - never even noticed that!

  8. #21

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,448
    Thank Post
    408
    Thanked 669 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    191
    So in theory you could really annoy people eventually by mentioning them poitntlessly? Can you turn off notifications?

  9. #22

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,867
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 778 Times in 651 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    When someone mentions you in a post, you get a notification in the top right. So it draws your attention to a topic you may not have spotted.
    Ah, ok, I'm sold on that one. However, do we have to have a special syntax for it? The tags feature has shown that if it's optional, it won't be used, and if it's not used consistently nobody benefits. I'm of the opinion that any mentioned username should be tagged automatically (and retrospectively) without a twitterism in front of it.

  10. #23

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,832
    Thank Post
    971
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I thought this - except it increased to 1 after I did my test at the top, but not when @localzuk: did it.. interstingly it went to 3 after you did it!
    Ahh its the caching that is causing the delay.

  11. #24

    webman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    8,420
    Thank Post
    644
    Thanked 966 Times in 666 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    328
    @Gatt: Here we go @ Username

  12. #25

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,832
    Thank Post
    971
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Ah, ok, I'm sold on that one. However, do we have to have a special syntax for it? The tags feature has shown that if it's optional, it won't be used, and if it's not used consistently nobody benefits. I'm of the opinion that any mentioned username should be tagged automatically (and retrospectively) without a twitterism in front of it.
    That would basically involve a script going through every word in every post and comparing it with the username database, aka HUGE load.
    We can remove the "@" at the start after the post, its still needed to tag a user.

  13. #26

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,832
    Thank Post
    971
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    So in theory you could really annoy people eventually by mentioning them poitntlessly? Can you turn off notifications?
    Not yet but I can disable users ability to use the feature so report abuse the usual way.

  14. #27

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    6,056
    Thank Post
    896
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    349
    Okay, so where do I see these notifications? They're not e-mailed to me I hope?

  15. #28

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,517
    Thank Post
    526
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Okay, so where do I see these notifications? They're not e-mailed to me I hope?
    Top Right 'Your Alerts'. On your control panel there is a 'Mentions' tab.

  16. #29

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    6,056
    Thank Post
    896
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Top Right 'Your Alerts'. On your control panel there is a 'Mentions' tab.
    Got it now! Thanks to @srochford: for mention'ing me in another post

  17. #30

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,867
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 778 Times in 651 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    That would basically involve a script going through every word in every post and comparing it with the username database, aka HUGE load.
    We can remove the "@" at the start after the post, its still needed to tag a user.
    Hmm. If it was me, I'd provide a SOAP interface to the username list ("here's a list of words in the post, are any of them usernames", with a SELECT filter) and let the client-side do the matching work. Probably still a bit heavy though.

    Getting rid of the "@" in a displayed post after the event would be good though.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th March 2010, 08:29 AM
  2. Google earth
    By tbutcher in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 3rd September 2009, 09:50 AM
  3. Did the earth move for you?
    By BatchFile in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 29th April 2009, 02:11 PM
  4. Google Earth 4.3
    By sippo in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th February 2009, 10:39 PM
  5. Google Earth
    By ninjabeaver in forum Downloads
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 14th July 2005, 03:55 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •