+ Post New Thread
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Parago in EduGeek Stuff; I see that the Parago website has been added on both the 'essential' software and website lists. I also notice ...
    Thank Post

Parago

I see that the Parago website has been added on both the 'essential' software and website lists. I also notice what looks suspiciously like an advert for Parago posted in one of the forums. :?

Now Parago may be a wonderful bit of software, and if so I guess it deserves it's place on the essential software list (maybe we should split that list up between free software and payed for), but I question it's validity on the essential website list.

I don't know what other users' views are on suppliers posting adverts on the site (maybe there should be a specific forum for suppliers to post such info), but I would have thought that it should be the 'educational IT professionals' who decide what goes on the essential lists.

Please shoot me down in flames if you think I'm wrong about this

Thank Post

Re: Parago

Right on AJ - couldn't agree more.... recommendations from us edugeeks are fair enough, but marketing should be kept separate...

Same for me with job ads - a couple now and again is fine but I personally don't want to see the forum swamped with them - not everyone is looking for a new job and even if they are there are plenty of job sites to go looking on...

Inevitable really given the success of the forum - the guys running things have my sympathies - It'll be hard to keep under control at times I guess!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Netman
    Same for me with job ads - a couple now and again is fine but I personally don't want to see the forum swamped with them - not everyone is looking for a new job and even if they are there are plenty of job sites to go looking on...
    Don't you feel that edugeek could take advantage of a dedicated jobs forum? Potential employers would be pitching directly to us, not via job agencies who take quite a large cut. I assume that the upkeep of this site is not free, though the help we give each other is, and this a valuable resource. You can't put a price on the relief you feel when you've been banging your head against a wall with a problem, then you come here and find an answer. I've picked up an awful lot in my visits here (most of it can still be treated with anti biotics), which has helped both myself and the school I work for. The information we get from these job adverts is invaluable. Why not let it work for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Netman
    Inevitable really given the success of the forum - the guys running things have my sympathies - It'll be hard to keep under control at times I guess!
    I couldn't agree more

cheers,
    beeswax

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think that we should look at reigning in the currrent trend of posting any old IT job on the forum and just keep it strictly educational jobs focused, other wise we'd end up with jobs for backup technicians being posted on here!
    As for Parago, could somepone post a link to the suspected spam or PM them to me please and I will take a lookand see what should be done. We are currently getting quite a few companies joining and I would hate to have to start banning people if they start to see us a an advertising vessel for their products and services.

Thank Post

@dos_box

If you do a site search for Parago, you will find all the forum entries which relate to it. The site www.parago.com has been added to the Essential Software List and Essential Web Sites wikis.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Adding themselves to the wiki list is dishonest. I've just edited them out. Seems maybe we need something with a little security - at least so we can identify posters.

...and the lists need categorising, as well as an indication of pricing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

right someone as removed stuff from wiki looked into and yes i think they did post it as there ips match the centre where they are based.

anyway i have added to top of list this "Suppliers Please Do Not Add Your Company Here This Is Not Free Advertising Spot."

should make it clear and will leave dos_box to sort out forum side..

russ

Thank Post

Look at the fuss weve caused!

Firstly I was one of the first people to join edugeeks! (like in the top 10) and I keep up to date with most of the threads as I don't get enough time within schools to see what current issues etc are.

Obviously we want to try and raise our profile and we don't have a marketing budget like RM/Capita and as I am the chief techie at IT Vision I wouldnt call it marketing! lol

My only concern is trying to get people involved and get feedback so I make what I am doing better.

On the Wiki front, wiki's are open for the reason that other people can add suggestions to other sites, others are then free to move it in the list and or delete it if they feel its not relevant.

As our product is relevant AND I am a edugeek member I felt it was not unreasonable to list it.

Erm... and lastly www.parago.com is alas not one of our sites!! if you wish to link the product its www.parago.co.uk or www.itvision.net ..

(feel free to flame)

Nick

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ok heres gpes on wiki side this is what i propose I will alter text on top of page to say suppliers can post there links but must by side (added by the supplier)

I think people felt it was underhanded little bit not saying it was....

then it is sorted and as nick says people can later wiki if they feel it is more advertsing then useful info..

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Right, I'm going to close this thread whilst I work out some rules for companies using the forum. I am not quite happy with the idea of us being an open shop for companies to advertise on, and at the same time I do not wish to block them as some of us may wish to use their services. I shall post some rules for businesses in the near future

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information