+ Post New Thread
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Useful contact numbers when contacting support numbers in EduGeek Stuff; Hi Just a suggestion, not sure if its already been mentioned. I was wondering if there was a section which ...
    Thank Post

Useful contact numbers when contacting support numbers

Hi

Just a suggestion, not sure if its already been mentioned.

I was wondering if there was a section which can help techies for myself, common numbers to get through to support personnel and different organisations.

Anyone think its a good idea.

An example is if you have hp printer in your school, what is their number to report a fault in say a 12 month warranty period. always have problems with HP for some reason, but would be useful with other companies. One place to come to see if a useful number is there.

thanks

Thank Post

Re: Useful contact numbers when contacting support numbers

Good idea i think

Thank Post

I don't know the number but ...

If your sure the printer's failed then remember to tell them that no lights come on on the printer. (regardless if they do or not)

And tell them you've plugged in a different power lead that works on another printer and its still doesn't work.

This takes them straight to the "we'll send you a replacement" part of the script and bypasses all the insulting questions that they'll ask you.

You may think this advice is morally suspect but think about them running a "customer help desk" and "technical support desk" and I think you'll find you find its 15 all

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Ranj ... a very good suggestion ... if you would like to volounteer to collate them for the wiki?

I have PMed you too.

Thank Post

yeh no worries, i generate a few numbers i kept hold of in my contacts and then post them on here.

Thank Post

lol Simplesi - thats what i always do now.

Phoned Dell up before and as usual they wanted me to test everything. Reluctantly did their selftest on boot to see what it says is wrong, to which it said "all is well" lmao

Eventually the guy accepted that i was qualified to diagnose a faulty NIC and sent out a new mobo

Thank Post

Sometimes you get a person who knows that you know and all is well but you don't know that until you've had a converstation and then if you've admitted that there is a tiny sign of life in the printer - the script monkeys will have you flashing the bios and sacrificing small animals

Simon

Thank Post

I seemed to have got the hang of the Dell support guys after having a very dodgy batch of 210L's from them (14 out of 50 or so with dicky mobo's) - ended up me talking to the 'big guys' in Ireland who gave me a kind of proforma to let me log multiple call outs via email or fax. Needless to say that since I got hold of the proforma not one of the others have failed!

<Pointless trivia alert>Did you know the Unisys field guys who work for Dell can only do 5 jobs per call... if you have 6 duff PC's its 2 call outs! </Pointless trivia alert>

I find the worst people are our projector suppliers especially Roche..... we always say that there are NO WARNING LIGHTS AT ALL when reporting a job.

One sniff of a warning light and it's always 'sounds like the lamps gone... and that's not under warranty...'

Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by k-mart
    I find the worst people are our projector suppliers especially Roche..... we always say that there are NO WARNING LIGHTS AT ALL when reporting a job.

One sniff of a warning light and it's always 'sounds like the lamps gone... and that's not under warranty...'

Merry Christmas!
    Doesn't your sales chap chuck in the 3 years extended lamp warrenty in for free then?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Yeah was going to say that with Roche, ours all have 3 or 5 year lamp life with them.

With HP if you have a word with them they will put you on a list which should come up on screen when they access your records and basically its a list which IT firms go on where they should not ask as many stupid questions and assume you have knoledge and also gets rid of the crap engineers unless you ask for them.

Its worked well for us, no more engineers that say its my first day, i used to work for Dell and have never taken a HP to bits before!; fine its still a PC, but the last Dell I pulled to bits was quite different to get to bits and put together compaired to a HP!!!! (rambles on more about crap HP support over the years....)

So may be worth seing if Dell will do that for you.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK
    Quote Originally Posted by k-mart

Merry Christmas!
    Doesn't your sales chap chuck in the 3 years extended lamp warrenty in for free then?
    nope, not a thing...

We had even more trouble with Kellway re projector support...

when they did the install they didn't leave the correct torque wrench for the security bolts that fixed the security plate - didn't think much of it at the time....

needless to say when we did have a problem with a projector we phoned them to ask for the correct tool (all ours wouldn't fit) they quoted us (I think) around £275 for and 'engineer' to remove it from the fitting. So we said give us the tool and we'll do it ourselves. They then asked for 20 quid for the wrench which they should have left!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread