+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Pupil alert! in EduGeek Stuff; Originally Posted by petectid I'm sure there will be a small number, you only have to review the three posts ...

Thank Post

Re: Pupil alert!

Quote Originally Posted by petectid
    I'm sure there will be a small number, you only have to review the three posts your pupil has made to realise he does not work in IT.

can you explain please :twisted:

Thank Post

thank you you gatt

Thank Post

I am formally known as a A-Level student, I also work as a Network Engineer at the school.

I don't feel it's a huge problem student’s accessing this site. EduGeek isn't the only site that has a wide array of information on computing in one central location. Let’s face the facts, if students want to get in, they will do whatever it takes! Most systems don't have many holes, and even if there is... I for one don't stop working until the job is done!

Lets not treat all students as problems, I have a few younger students that work with me regularly to track down inappropriate websites and express their opinions in the way we run our systems.

Students can help! :P

EduGeek has also contributed to my understanding on issues, and thank everyone for their support. Not long to go until I am full-time in the industry!!

Thank Post

Whilst yes, student support can be a valuable asset to a school, I still feel it's important to set boundaries.

For example you wouldnt really want to give a year 11 pupil the code to the server room door and an admin account to go and block sites on the proxy server! No matter how trustworthy they may be, they're still open to bribing.

(That was just an example case, i'm not saying any of you guys are doing that!)

There is always the question of pupil/staff boundaries aswell. I know when I was doing my work for the VI Form at my school I was subject to a lot of hassel from other students everytime something didnt work or everytime a new website got blocked so is it always in my best interests to try and distance myself from it during lesson time.

Dispite what your student techie will say, if they have a heavy involvement in ICT services they will get staff stopping them in corridoors, in the library and in lessons when they should be in "lesson mode" trying to get them to help with a problem and it does put studies in jepardy. It can appear as if staff almost start to bully you a bit into helping them because they're your teacher and you should have some kind of loyalty to them.

It's not nice, so, kids, BEWARE! LOL

Then there's the issue of accountability. Who's fault is it when something goes wrong?! (Maybe that's a topic for another day when I actually have my glasses on)

But on a lighter note, all the work I did for ICT services has helped me quite a LOT in my first semester at university, again, despite what some members of staff at my school felt.

If you're a student, and you feel you can hack it and keep up with studies, be responsible and learn to say no once in a while, go for it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    Yes...but usually it's a case of having to look for it to find it...as opposed to stumbling across it on edugeek.
    Well said.
    I dont like the fact pupils could be on here. Yes the info is on the net but like Joedetic said they have to look for it. Here they have it all consolidated to one site. And if the pupil figures out which school you are and see's you post about a hole in your system, he can exploit it. As the saying goes a little knowledge goes far
    not sure what you fellow edu geekers think to this thought but There is an admin / normal user mode , so couldnt you divide or segment it up a bit more so there is a student , tech and admin type accounts and have a tech area where by only accounts that have a tech ranking can access the tech area for situations where by in the above quote

"And if the pupil figures out which school you are and see's you post about a hole in your system"

Then at least us techies can have an area where you can still get help and resolve the issue and then after the issue has been taken care of you can give students access to the info afterwards if you wish or not ?

Just a thought anyway ......

I know on experts exchange they have admin only areas

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Problem is how do you work out who is tech and who is a student and then extra work creates and the fact we sturggle to do all edugeek jobs currently then if got to approve users most forums that triend foudn this model didnt work.

My view is that to be honest we just have to accept that this is public site and so use common sense....

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

From joedetics post: Students helping with running the system

I had student helpers for years, and always struggled to come to terms with the problems that it introduces.

Our new Head is dead against it, and it's been a very welcome relief NOT to have the problem. We've now set on another member in support, so you could argue that a job was created.

Even the most trustworthy person, as a student, should not really be put in the position where they have a choice to breach data security. It just isn't fair on them.

And like Grumbledook has said before, work should always be paid for fairly.

Thank Post

Payment was always a bone of some contention. I never wanted payment for what i did and the school didnt seem to understand that.

There was always comments about how "they'd like to pay me but cant because it would set a precedent(sp?) for other students." Never mind that I'd never once asked for money or given indication that I was disappointed I didnt get any.

They did however send me a cheque in the post for some work done outside of term time which i was really flattered to recieve.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

One of our 'unpaid workers' was paid in (all sorts of) kind, with hardware, 'training', 'experience', grades (just kidding!! heh)

After five years of 'helping out' however this particular 'helper' decided to ask the current Head for some renumeration. Boot up the bum ensued and bad feeling resulted all 'round. Very sad.

Thank Post

@mark: Paid in kind?!? Is that legal?

Thank Post

I got a couple of computers and switch about to go in a skip and some PC100 RAM and 10 gig HDDs etc and the training as I've already said in this thread, has been invaluable.

The 24 port Allied Telesyn switch I got has been used for playing GT4 on PS2 in my flat at uni so proved itself priceless

Thank Post

Pictures removed - Please be sensible when putting images of staff on the internet

Tony

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    Trouble is yuo could never stop everyone that isn't in IT support and this has been discussed before when there were questions from somone that's obviously a student.

I personally think that edugeek should be kept free of them.

Ben
    our task is hard enough without having the pupils access to power resources like this site. This site should be for IT Professionals (or ict technicians)

Thank Post

*Ahem* pupil alert pupil alert *Ahem*

Maybe that is an example of improper useage of the site?

Thank Post

The image is hosted on your site, and considering you see yourself as a graphic designer, its a little bit of a giveaway that it's your creation.

And yes, that does count as a threat, which could be treated rather seriously.

i'm fairly sure www.mschsk8.com will be filtered at your school by monday.

I think you have a lot of growing up to do.
    Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast