+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Pupil alert! in EduGeek Stuff; I'm with GrumbleDook on this one. There is no need to treat pupils who use this site differently (If anyone ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Pupil alert!

I'm with GrumbleDook on this one. There is no need to treat pupils who use this site differently (If anyone can figure out how to identify them). There is no need to 'block' them from information on this site as anything posted here is available just as easily elsewhere. Heck, if you do let them (encourage?) to read/post they might even learn a few things. After all, that is the ultimate point isn't it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

If there are any students who do read the forum on a regular basis can you PM me ... would a seperate area where you can discuss and learn things be something you would be interested in?

I would like to encourage students to learn a bit more to help them be self supportive with IT ... but within reason ... those of you who are interested in looking at IT as a future job does this site put you off or actually make you more interested?

Thank Post

Well technically I'm a student. But I'm at university ATM. I /was/ working in the ICT Services department at my school during VI Form and had been posting/reading during those two years. I can safely say that I've learnt a lot from edugeek and have always found it an interesting read even if i'm not in a situation i need help with.

I think it'd be a good idea to have an area/rank for students who are interesting in the tech support field to have a go at posting. But of course, if they're identified, then we'll all know not to give info out like "offline password resetting using linux boot disks" etc :P

But then again, they'll just read this thread and then lie about it in their profile!

Thank Post

^
    ^
    ^
    STUDENT !!! Pile On !!

Thank Post

*Runs away very quickly*

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Doh!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

then we'll all know not to give info out like "offline password resetting using linux boot disks"
    Plus all that info is readily available on tinternet anyway.

If someone has physical access to a machine then thats part of the battle.

Ben

Thank Post

Yes...but usually it's a case of having to look for it to find it...as opposed to stumbling accross it on edugeek.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

wee as far as i can see any student who reads it will not get any bad info. and all anybody talks about is how to protect and make there system better. To be honest some students have some really good idears and what we have got to rember is that when we all retire schools need people to replace us and the students comming on he might be one of them. and passing things on is a good thing. Also if they fell welcome when they find a problem they might tell you so you can fix it of tell you how to fix it as they seen the answer here. rather than trying to exploit it. I think its a good idea to let them on. (if you dont they think you have soming to hide and then try getting here by the wrong means EG by lieing hacking and doing nasty things to the hosting server.) make them feel wecome show them the right way and if they like it they stay if they get bored they leave. As far as i can see if it of a delacate nature then ask for someone who is good at that area and then pm them.

Thank Post

thanks gatt you are verry kind i love being called a pupil but i wont class my self as a pupil i am much better at computing even you should now that

i think the new sign should be this

:angel13: to identify pupils

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    Well technically I'm a student. But I'm at university ATM. I /was/ working in the ICT Services department at my school during VI Form and had been posting/reading during those two years. I can safely say that I've learnt a lot from edugeek and have always found it an interesting read even if i'm not in a situation i need help with.

I think it'd be a good idea to have an area/rank for students who are interesting in the tech support field to have a go at posting. But of course, if they're identified, then we'll all know not to give info out like "offline password resetting using linux boot disks" etc :P

But then again, they'll just read this thread and then lie about it in their profile!

i am a year 11 pupil from moorside high school i work with gatt a lot fixing computers and rizzing and when i joined this sight i have learned loads of stuff wich has helped me in school and out of school i think that we should all be treated with the same respect as ict.staff as we all love computers and projectors.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

rizzing? :shock:

we all love computers and projectors.
    Erm... :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    Yes...but usually it's a case of having to look for it to find it...as opposed to stumbling across it on edugeek.
    Well said.
    I dont like the fact pupils could be on here. Yes the info is on the net but like Joedetic said they have to look for it. Here they have it all consolidated to one site. And if the pupil figures out which school you are and see's you post about a hole in your system, he can exploit it. As the saying goes a little knowledge goes far

Thank Post

TBH, security through obscurity is never great - I understand the concerns of people exploiting "holes" but then, in my brief time posting on here i've not seen anything that would *really* blow the gaff

It would be very difficult to stop students coming here - short of making the site member-read only AND having an entrance requirement! Maybe just ban those who are annoying etc - even examstudies lad had something positive about the whole thing!

Tom

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    rizzing? :shock:

we all love computers and projectors.
    Erm... :P
    see what i have to put up with :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast