+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Green IT in EduGeek Stuff; I think someone has said this before but do people think about having green IT forum. Being that in next ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Green IT

I think someone has said this before but do people think about having green IT forum. Being that in next 12 months this going to become quite big in peoples agendas.

Russ.

p.s

Blatant Self promotion - If at Open Source Schools unconference then please do check out my presentation on green computing. Green Computing | Open Source Schools

Thank Post
    So, reading between the lines of the press release that's been dumped everywhere "government decides on strategy, but yet again fails to properly communicate that strategy to the people who need to implement it?".

Yes, forum would be a good idea.

Edit:

Ok, I've read through the strategy paper and my thoughts are twofold:

a) Some of that stuff applies to undocumented .gov data centres where no-one actually knows what a server does or who owns it.
    b) The rest is stuff that we already do as a school because it's a) obvious b) saves us money.

For example:

Computers off overnight - check
    Enable monitor power-saving - check
    Printers on duplex - check
    Printers default to b&w - check
    Power saving on printers - check
    Hardware recycled - check
    Reuse older harder in low-demand areas - check
    Hardware only replaced when necessary - check
    Increase server utilisation to a minimum of 50% where possible - we've been using virtualisation for years in production and testing.

Does .gov.uk really need a strategy to enforce what's common sense? Are there really knobheads in central government who don't power down end-user kit automatically overnight? I especially like item 6 on page 17 "a high powered machine suitable for high graphic gaming is not needed in a central government office" (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/3/12/)

Edit again, reading of further idiocy.

"Consider replacing CRTs with LCDs as part of a refresh cycle" - really? They really feel the need to point this out?
    Last edited by pete; 19th July 2009 at 05:23 PM.

Thank Post
    It could be a useful forum to have in which to throw ideas around, although as Pete says, I suspect that most if not all of us are already doing the really obvious things. There are no doubt other areas which we haven't yet all explored, though.

Remember that "green IT" should be more than just power-saving too - include re-use and recycling, as well as responsible sourcing/manufacture methods (i.e. not using brands who are known to have caused excessive pollution from their factories).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Does .gov.uk really need a strategy to enforce what's common sense? Are there really knobheads in central government who don't power down end-user kit automatically overnight?
    Yes.

They're users, what do you expect?

And unlike in a school there might actually be people working late (in theory, I don't know if civil servants actually know that you can stay at work past four-thirty), so you can't do a site-wide automatic power down.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    And unlike in a school there might actually be people working late ... so you can't do a site-wide automatic power down.
    Yes you can, you just need to be careful with it. Here the shutdown script runs with a "cancel" option so the one or two people working late can do so, but the remaining 99% of computers can shut down. The script then runs again later in the evening to get any which were cancelled. We also run it in phases, so the classroom computers switch off just after the end of the staff, but the staff room and office computers don't switch off until later on.

TheLibrarian
    I'd be interested to see the script if at all possible.

Thank Post
    Greening Government ICT

Strategy doc (pdf) http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/medi..._ict080724.pdf

Areas for potential carbon reduction: http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/medi...tion081028.pdf

It's also worth noting that the requirements for 2012 are for Central Government. (I'm not saying we shouldn't be implementing green measures where sensible to do so, just that we don't need to panic anytime soon).

Thank Post
    The script is using BeyondExec - Spawn Processes or Shutdown Remote Windows NT/2000/XP WorkStations

I have a batch file for each phase of the shutdown, with one line per PC, e.g.
    beyondexec \\it1-01 -l 60 -d Shutdown -f -m "This PC is about to shut down - please save your work now otherwise any changes you have made will be lost"
    beyondexec \\it1-02 -l 60 -d Shutdown -f -m "This PC is about to shut down - please save your work now otherwise any changes you have made will be lost"

This batch file is saved and then set as a scheduled task on the server to run at whatever time is appropriate (I have 4 scheduled tasks). Then, at 9pm a scheduled task runs a second batch file which calls each of those 4 batch files in turn, using the following line:
    call "shutdown it1.bat"
    call "shutdown it2.bat"

and so on.

Thank Post

Launching new research practice in Green IT

Launching a new research practice focused on Green IT and Sustainability and welcome your participation at Groups: Sign in Green IT & Sustainability Research .

Determining our first research agenda and would love to know what’s top of mind for you. Please feel free to circulate this list to interested colleagues. You can write to me at carol.baroudi@aberdeen.com

Of the following suggested topics and report titles, please rank your top five. Feel free to suggest other topics or titles and include them in your ranking. If you are interested in a particular subset or aspect of a topic or have a great report title to suggest, please tell us explicitly. We will read and consider your responses carefully.

Thank you for your considered response. Our goal is to create a dynamic, responsible, well-informed community and we are eager for your active participation.

Please choose five of the following topics and rank them in importance to you, (1) being the most important, (5) being the fifth most important. By importance to you we mean topics you’d like to see us research and write about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *** Green IT End User Interest Survey ***
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TOP 5 Priorities
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Proposed Green IT Topic Areas ***

Virtualization in General
    Desktop virtualization
    Application virtualization
    Server virtualization
    Storage virtualization

Green Data Center Best Practices
    Measuring, Monitoring and Controlling Data Center Energy Consumption
    Green Cooling Strategies
    Data Center and Server Room Expansion and how to Avoid it, Postpone it, or Do it gradually (intelligently)

Smart Grid/Smart Meter & B2B Energy Management

Carbon Management Platforms and Services

Product Life-cycle Carbon Foot-Print Platforms and Services

Paper Choice / Paper Use

Greener Printing

Paperless processes

Green IT Strategy

Governing / Managing Green IT

Is the Cloud Green?
    How Green is Your Cloud?

Meeting Green Objectives through Outsourcing

Responsible disposal of electronic assets

Using collaboration to reduce carbon and costs
    Teleconference
    Web conferencing
    Telecommuting

The impact of current (and coming) environmental regulations
    Regulatory Pressures Driving Green Adoption

Using Software as a Service to reduce hardware purchase, energy consumption and maintenance

Purchasing greener IT

Asset life-cycle management

Capacity on Demand

PC power management

Information Lifecycle Management and Greener storage strategies

Replacing physical with digital distribution

Environment, Health and Safety

Smart Building Management

Greener Networking

The CFO’s View of Green IT
    Green-enabled Capital Management: CFO Drivers
    Green IT capex to opex transformation

Green IT Services: Fact or Fiction

Green Economics During Troubled Times

Carol Baroudi Research Director Green IT and Sustainability
    carol.baroudi@aberdeen.com Aberdeen Group: Get Smart. Read Research.
    Aberdeen Group +1 617 854 5287direct
    Green IT For Dummies available now at online booksellers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Greening Government ICT

Strategy doc (pdf) http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/medi..._ict080724.pdf

Areas for potential carbon reduction: http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/medi...tion081028.pdf

It's also worth noting that the requirements for 2012 are for Central Government. (I'm not saying we shouldn't be implementing green measures where sensible to do so, just that we don't need to panic anytime soon).

Thats not quite true...

The sogce targets are central government but there is another set of targets for LAs. Two that effect schools % decrease across LA estate (that includes schools) and % decrease across whole of LA.

Main thing is lot of LAs not making targets. Ofsted have green IT already in there.

LA need a quick way to meet targets by forcing it on the estate
    Step one - LAs ask government to make sure ofsted inspect the green IT side with bit more detail
    Step two it becomes an issue for the school and IT support.

11. Thanks to russdev from:

pete (6th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Main thing is lot of LAs not making targets. Ofsted have green IT already in there.

LA need a quick way to meet targets by forcing it on the estate
    Step one - LAs ask government to make sure ofsted inspect the green IT side with bit more detail
    Step two it becomes an issue for the school and IT support.
    Fair enough, a few questions though:

Is this something that's started or pending?
    How do Ofsted (comprising ex-teachers) assess green IT initiatives (understanding them, being able to spot spurious claims, accurately assessing)?
    Is it a checkbox thing - "saw computer monitors on in an unattended IT room" - or a quiz / assess school plan for green IT?
    When/of whom do Ofsted ask these questions?
    Is it part and parcel of a standard inspection or something more targetted?

I know some people on here have actually been asked IT-type questions by inspectors, but our main interaction is occasionally leading them safely out of the corridor maze in the old part of the school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At the moment let me be very clear this speculation that LAs will get Green IT agenda inspected more detailed way but if I was betting man I would say that it will start to come within the next 12 months.

"Being Green" and Green IT is part (is part of sustainable framework which school has to report on the SEF).

Key here is that replacing all the windows is not cost effective. The fact is IT takes up large % of CO2 emissions that is not just including energy use but also manufacture/supply of the items.

So at school level it is about making sure that you are doing the things you can (machines shutoff at night etc, move servers to virtual servers etc). Look at supply are machines buying green (but still do the job and cost the same of non green machines for example).

It is showing that you are doing something towards reducing your CO2 so even once it becomes a focus on the ofsted inspection. I do think it will be along the lines of on the SEF you would have what your are doing and then inspection would make sure that is is the case and not just putting something on SEF for sake of it.

My guess anyway...

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 6th August 2009 at 11:21 AM.

14. Thanks to russdev from:

pete (6th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers. I'm going to badger SMT about our last SEF to see what they've been including (or not).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, it looks like Shaun and I shall get onto this as soon as we can.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would have thought it better fits under the IT Policies forum

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast