+ Post New Thread
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Mysql on Amazon cloud? in EduGeek Stuff; I've been investigating cloud computing for various reasons, and I had a thought - would Edugeek.net gain greater stability, and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mysql on Amazon cloud?

I've been investigating cloud computing for various reasons, and I had a thought - would Edugeek.net gain greater stability, and lower running costs if the database was stored and ran via the Amazon Cloud?

Mysql do have something related to this too -

MySQL :: MySQL Enterprise for Amazon EC2

Just a thought anyway

Thank Post
    I was under the impression that the Amazon cloud system was fantastic if you need some serious computing power for a short period of time. The pricing of the system reflects this I think, in that you pay per hour of computing time. It wasn't designed to be a hosting service something like edugeek.
    Just my tupence, feel free to correct me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You'd be wrong there - the idea is that it is a cloud - where companies are encouraged to outsource their database, application and storage needs in order to increase availability, and to reduce onsite costs (ie. there's no hardware maintenance needed, as it is included in the plan).

Also note that an 'hour' is not a normal hour - it is a computing power hour, based on a benchmark of a 1.7Ghz processor circa 2007 being used 100% for 1 hour.

Thank Post
    We've used the Google (and other) clouds for development testing, all very good.

However, if you are looking at putting information that falls under the Data Protection Act up there, don't.

You have no say in which country the cloud servers reside. No means of audit on backups etc.

Let's be careful out there folks!!

The 'Cloud' seem to be marketed as a something for nothing system, which there not, as the rules of economics kick in at some point.

Good idea for certain things, but sys admins do need to thoroughly think things through first.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy View Post
    We've used the Google (and other) clouds for development testing, all very good.

However, if you are looking at putting information that falls under the Data Protection Act up there, don't.

You have no say in which country the cloud servers reside. No means of audit on backups etc.
    Common misconception. Because of the Safe Harbor - Export.gov - Safe Harbor (note US spelling ) agreement between the US and the EU, if a company agrees to be bound by the safe harbor guidelines then they are safe to transport data outside of the EU while still fully complying with EU DPA laws and regulations.

Because all the big companies (Amazon, Google, MS etc) are all signatories you can use their cloud services without worrying about DPA concerns.

Have a read of the above and [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Safe_Harbor_Privacy_Principles]International Safe Harbor Privacy Principles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

6. Thanks to Soulfish from:

apaton (27th August 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread