+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Comments and Suggestions Thread, MSI repository in EduGeek Stuff; I would assume the large proportion of us on EduGeek use group policies for rolling out our applications, and there ...
    Thank Post

MSI repository

I would assume the large proportion of us on EduGeek use group policies for rolling out our applications, and there must be a large amount of MSI's created for free programs, i.e Adobe Acrobat reader.

I thought it would be great if we could have a MSI repository where members could upload the MSI's they have created and want to share, obviously this would have to be well policed to make sure no illegle software appeared, and maybe have members who would test the MSI's before they went to public release.

Just an idea

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

Re: MSI repository

But all the software could be illegal for people unless they have the relevant software licences.

Ben

Thank Post

It's a good idea and I know Tarquel creates and hosts a few but the problem would be bandwidth Im guessing unless someones got a nice chunk they can donate :P

Thank Post

There's also licensing issues with re-distributing most apps (even the free ones). It would be handy mind, licenses permitting - I know Geoff likes reading all the fine print

Another idea might be to create a list of how to acquire pre-packaged MSIs. For instance, there is a procedure you must go through to get the Flash/Shockwave MSIs and the Acrobat Reader MSI can be easily extracted from the EXE.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We recently made an MSI for Foxit Reader to replace Acrobat - PDFs now open a lot quicker For example, their license has this claus regarding redistributing:

5. REDISTRIBUTION: You can not redistribute Foxit Reader under this agreement, please contact sales@foxitsoftware.com for information on our free redistribution agreement.
    I think it's a very good idea but there is the license issue we have to consider.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nearly every vendor / publisher / company I have spoken to about this have said that to host prebuilt MSIs would be in breach of T&Cs of the licences.

Quite a number do have MSIs but they are hidden out of the way and are often moved when new versions are brought out, and you don't get told where they have gone to. Others prefer you to buy into their enterprise version to get "more features" (eg Real, Adobe, MS, Apple, GriSoft, AdAware, SpyBot)

The best thing to do is to find out if an MSI is available and keep a list of the locations somewhere (eg the Wiki).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    The best thing to do is to find out if an MSI is available and keep a list of the locations somewhere (eg the Wiki).
    together with a 'how to' for the less technical minded members and save time for the techies

There's no law saying you can't show ppl how to do it

Thank Post

The AppDeploy Knowledgebase is a good resource for this sort of thing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post

Just as a thought folks... there are definitely some applications where there's less mainstream interest that are specifically education based, especially when it comes to primary school eduware like Granada Toolkit 2.0 which is a cast iron ***ch to deploy via GPO.

Anyway my point is that it would be useful to get a "How to..." section in the wiki for MSI's that have to be self-created... That surely would be acceptable within license terms and would avoid many of the issues noted above.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Capita host instructions on how to deploy via GPO on thier forums [apparently - I have read a Capita support bod say so], so that can't be against their wishes.

Several people have said that they've successfully deployed SIMS .net but I can't find any pointers Just mention from above dude that you need to wrap the installers. Anyone help?

Thank Post

You need to do the following...

(Path to SIMS Setups)\SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe -a {QuietMode}

(Path to SIMS Setups)\SIMSApplicationSetup.exe /S {QuietMode} {NoServerApps} [SIMSDirectory]="S:\SIMS" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net"

(Path to SIMS Setups)\SIMSMAnualSetup.exe /S {QuietMode} {NoServerManuals} [SIMSDirectory]="S:\SIMS" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net"

Obviously, permissions on SIMS Setups must be correct.

Thank Post

You might also SIMS Resource 5967 (Technical Guide - Command Line Use of SIMS Installers) interesting.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I read you can't run those installers from a network share as .net components won't allow it, so I'd assume you have to copy them locally first. Then there are sims.ini and connect.ini to copy over. And do you have to create the install directory sims/sims .net/? - I assume you would. Then run simsperms on it.

Thank Post

Nope, I run them exactly as I specified them. The S: drive does not exist at install time but that doesn't seem to matter.

I share the SIMS\Setups directory as SIMSSETUPS and make sure Authenticated Users have Read access.

I generally add the Staff or SIMSUSERS group to the local Power Users group and that should take care of permissions issues.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast