+ Post New Thread
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Eeek! They have found us!! in EduGeek Stuff; It was just a matter of time before the kids found out where the technical staff hang out. Here's a ...

Thank Post

Eeek! They have found us!!

It was just a matter of time before the kids found out where the technical staff hang out.
    Here's a frightening quote from the KS3 SATS forum:

[quote="04nunhucks"]I am a pupil who....../quote]

I guess therer is nothing on eduGeek that couldn't be found elsewhere on the web. It won't even come as great news that support staff whinge just as much as teachers

Russ, Chris,Ric, Tony: I know there's a recruiment drive on at the moment but I think an NUS card should be the very mimmum for membership for those under 21 not already in the trade (you 're safe John).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

Re: Eeek! They have found us!!

gdgd, Trust me I am real, honest and a real IT guy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol

Well problem we have is how do you police that we know they would find us and he not first student to be on here....

My views is this Chris,ric and tony will give there's i am sure

As long as member acts right way on this forum not matter what they are student, teacher, techie or other then they are welcome.

Also we are very careful to make sure anything that might put a system at risk is not put in public view in board but person giving info says pm me and then a least got some control on that info.

Also not surprised as we quite high in google search for such words as pro?y sites and w?b mess?nger etc etc

On that member i saw him joined and flagged up as pupil almost straight away search on his email add provides that info..

What will say at any member who causes trouble is a warning we keep logs, we keep records and we will make trouble with your isp,school, email provider if we have to but as of yet we have never needed to and I hope we dont.

Russell

Thank Post

I concur with Russ... it is going to be nigh on impossible to stop the little darlings joining up but we can police what they say.

Everybody should just remember that anyone can legitimately join and read what we write so don't publish security flaws and hacks.

TBH, I guess most kids would immediately get bored because a lot of the stuff is way over their heads and the policy stuff is INCREDIBLY boring.

Thank Post

What about student technicians? Surely if they are taking a very active role in the ICT support side of the school they have a valid point if they are taking an active role in network management/rebuilds and general ICT services etc.

I only say that because I was the student technician. I'm currently doing my a-levels...but i can safely say that Edugeek has given me the opertunity to add to my knowledge of ICT support. So thanks!

I'm off to study a network engineering degree in september where i'll get my CCNA at the same time.

But group policy...not THAT boring! (oh dear god, i can feel the force pulling me in!!!!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Students joining is not a problem as far as I am concerned ... in fact we may wish to set up a seperate little forum so they can discuss things ...

Recruit them young and convert them to the ways of the sith ...erm ... I mean get them used to the idea the tech support is a valid career option.

Once you have a number of students (hopefully in schools of existing members) that we know are there to learn and for the benefit of the IT community in general then make them Mods and they can police themselves.

I would rather have a small group of interest students wanting to help support in schools than a bunch of l4m3r5 that just come in and troll, or k3w1 script kiddies that have found the latest way to break CC3.

I know of at least one existing member (quite a high poster actually) that habitually hassled the support team at his school to try and help out.

If there are any members out there reading this that are still students in school and like the idea of doing some interesting things in their school for the benefit of everyone else then feel free to PM on of the site staff and we can see what we can cook up (with the agreement of your school).

As long as people understand we do not answer homework questions, we are not going to discuss ways of breaking things and that we are here to ensure that as many schools as possible have somewhere to look for advice, help and sharing best practice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

this is *good* news. I'm up for teaching and learing, and I'm sure some kids can teach me a thing or two !

Recruit them young and convert them to the ways of the sith ...erm .
    you mean to teach them the ways of the source...luke

Thank Post

Well, anyone looking for someone to do some summer work i'm looking for a job

I'm one of the network admins so i've got some experience with MS Server 2k3 and active directory (my server works fine )

I'd just like to add that i DONT have access to home areas...incase you were wondering Or CMIS or anything that could break the DPA.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Did you get involved as part of a student club or were you picked as a gifted individual?

Thank Post

"Gifted individual"...

Your words not mine

I think i just showed an interest and the last network manager asked me if i wanted to help out...i helped out...him and the techie left leaving no ICT support except me and the head of ICT...then the new ICT tech came, and some external support and then another techie...

But i've learnt a LOT because i've been given the chance...for which i'm extremely grateful to my school and the ICT support techies (and the guys n gals on edugeek!)

Thank Post

Mentoring the young is a worthy aim but as school employees we have responsibilites that they don't have.

There might be ways to deal with health and safety but DPA is another matter.
    How would staff, other students and their parents feel about certain gifted students potentially having access to the MIS, email and the file server where all the reports, references and exclusion paperwork are kept?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Relative permissions and good use of delagation of tasks.

You don't have to have the admin password to add machines to the domain or even RIS machines. It gets complicated and good documentation is needed to prove who is doing what.

For some schools it may be the difference between actually getting the work done and having a few machines in each classroom out of action.

Thank Post

I suppose that's feasible if the apprentice is just happy to do donkey work and maybe and hardware build work.

Anything involving the data of or data bout other users is more difficult to deal with.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat
    I suppose that's feasible if the apprentice is just happy to do donkey work and maybe and hardware build work.

Anything involving the data of or data bout other users is more difficult to deal with.
    Isnt that what low level techs are for ... im sure most of us had to do the crappy jobs at one time or another before we got to more interesting areas.

Thank Post

When I started out I only had a normal student user account. But with training and as time went by, the ICT technicians and head of ICT felt that I could be of more use within the ICT services department if i had a set of administrative permissions, but ones that are restrictive.

This enabled me to do more of the "donkey work" that trivial support requests generated such as staff turning up at the ICT Services office asking for documents to be put into the staff shared area. Yes i could see the staff area and RW to it but any sensitive materials had the necessary deny access permissions set to them.

MISs are somethign else entirely. Obviously this is sensitive data so i cant have access to it. And as CMIS and SIMS.net use their own integrated authentication from the SQL database that problem was overcome by simpley not giving me a user

But yes...hardware rebuilds, RISing, general trouble shooting and donkey work, website filtering, dealing with publishing rules for ISA server, adding/removing/blocking users, dealing with various exchange tasks stuff like that is what i'm used to.

I also introduced the helpdesk system and set it up (after MBRS broke down and was cast out in favour of liberum.

So you see some examples of things i've done. It's not all donkey work, some of it's more server side involved too

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread