+ Post New Thread
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Allow the forums to subscribe and post content from mailing lists. in EduGeek Stuff; Originally I was thinking about this for the security forum, but I realise now it might be useful generally. Anyway, ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Allow the forums to subscribe and post content from mailing lists.

Originally I was thinking about this for the security forum, but I realise now it might be useful generally. Anyway, on with the idea.

There's various mailing lists round and about that are of interest to us all and fit in the scope of some of the forums.

The general process would look like this:

1) A forum mod tells the forum to 'subscribe' to a mailing list. After checking the content is suitably low volume and relevant.
    1a) You probably would want an admin to double check and approve the request.
    2) The forum system does all the necessary things to get itself subscribed on the requested mailing list.
    3) When a post from the mailing list comes in. The forum system takes the message, cleans it up and puts it on the forum as a sticky/locked/whatever post.
    4) When the next post comes in from the mailing the previous post is deleted/unsticked/locked/replied to/whatever and the new post put up.

In the context of the Security forum, I was thinking of using this feature for MS Patch Tuesday info and also generic security info newsletters such as cryptogram.

In particular I think the one post per mailing list item means we can have a constructive discussion of the issues in the original post, via replies, which is something you never get if you just subscribe to announce mailing lists yourself.

Thank Post
    +1. Another example: debian-security-announce, which is low-traffic moderated mails of the security advisories.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So basically we have a email address that when a mailing list email comes in it gets processed and posted on X forum as sticky until the continuation comes in a month?
    I know there are ways to feed email into vbulletin but I have not used it yet but it is in theory possible. Another way possibly would be to feed the RSS feed into new posts?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    until the continuation comes in a month?
    I can only speak for Debian lists, because that's all I subscribe to, but they aren't regular. They're as-and-when required (d-s-a is whenever a fix to a vulnerability in the stable distribution is fixed, for example, and contains instructions on how to apply the patch). I expect a lot of lists are similar.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeah that's the basics of it ZeroHour

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    The RSS feed one is a piece of cake to do on VB, and MS have one that is for the latest patches and stuff so maybe it could be done in that. I know that I've used it for pulling service status messages from an ISP into a forum so people can spot them for those that don't get the email or the RSS feed themselves (only works well when the ISP actually uses it!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread