+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Post of the Month Award in EduGeek Stuff; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook Damn ... I was considering putting forward my obituary as posted by Russ. I hope those ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Damn ... I was considering putting forward my obituary as posted by Russ.
    I hope those rumours of your death are greatly exagerated.

Thank Post
    Wouldn't someone need to read every single post in a month? Is that even possible?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    Wouldn't someone need to read every single post in a month? Is that even possible?
    We could just ask Geoff?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    i think silver's spotted the flaw in this plan......and for that nugget i vote he get's the inaugral post of the month

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    NO! No segregation, we are all equals. Well, we are the "1"s and women are the "0"s. Each is meaningless without the other.
    .. oki

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts

Question

@kmount - BUZZKILLER!!!! the idea is that it's a bit of fun, not an extensively researched process. what do you think regarding recognition, what form would it take.

@Grumbledook - be warned about advertising your death, look what happened to Ross on friends. Before you know it they'll be arranging a wake, and casting aspersions about your sexuality!

@apoth0r - I see the "Thanks" to be for finding a post useful or particularly helpful to an individual. (However my pessimistic side thinks it seems to get overused sometimes!)

My vision is such that the award could be 'voted' on my members regardless of whether or not they were involved in the thread. If someone thinks a post is worthy of recognition they can submit it. Almost the reverse of reporting bad posts, this is reporting good ones. e.g. i tend to avoid the classroom management software but i might be directed to read a particularly helpful or detailed post that i think is worth voting on.

@Silver - Yes, it is subjective, but the idea wasn't to mark every post on the site against any particular set criteria. The post that seeded the idea was actually funny, and a little dig at M$ / Vista. Enough for a few people to think "Yes, that's a classic comment!"

It could even just be a decision by the esteemd EduGod himself, it would be an excuse to spend more time in the thick of things. Naturally, it is likely to get out of hand, and everyone could just start nominating everything they would normally give thanks for. That's not the idea though. I guess, it just didn't seem right to give Thanks/reputation for a funny post, but maybe that is the extent of the model. perhaps it would only work in the jokes forum or if a post was particularly humorous.

The more i think about it, the more i start to doubt the idea was a good one. I might just start my own breakaway thread in General Chat and it can be the unofficial Poster of the Month Award. Then there's no need to go into details.

Somebody mentioned the MoneySavingExpert website, how do they deal with it? i'm a member but don't use the site at all as I get a weekly digest email.

i'm out of breath now! another idea i had on a similar vane was the ability to 'agree' with a post. not the same as thank someone for it, more just show support for the content without having to post anew or reiterate the contents. that way a member can see that a particular post (solution in most cases) is agreed upon by e.g. 5 other members, which on messy threads can be handy. i quite often read someones reply / solution, agree with it, so don't post and move on. being able to show agreement is quite handy, but please let me know if i'm barking up the stupid tree again or if the idea is equally as invalid as the Poster of the Month.....

Thank Post
    @kmount - BUZZKILLER!!!! the idea is that it's a bit of fun, not an extensively researched process. what do you think regarding recognition, what form would it take.
    Recognition in my book has already been achieved with the reputation system (for the non mods/admins anyway) and I don't see a need for anything else.

One can't provide thanks in the FFS forum anyway, so clearly someones thought that one through in the past about funny/silly/angry threads but an "I agree" function is quite interesting; I'll have a think.

Not knocking the man Vik, just challenging the ideas.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Not knocking the man Vik, just challenging the ideas.
    I know.
    Challenge is good.
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

Thank Post
    I might just start my own breakaway thread in General Chat and it can be the unofficial Poster of the Month Award.
    Subversion is always the way forward

Go for it!

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12