+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Advertising in EduGeek Stuff; While I appreciate that it costs a fortune to run a website like this and that all the money made ...

Thank Post

Advertising

While I appreciate that it costs a fortune to run a website like this and that all the money made from advertising goes towards the running costs of the site, conferences and other EG events, I have to say that I really don't like the new advertising system! I admit I block ads at home, but not at work, and I really don't like the new smiley face that takes over the page. I know I have adverts blocked and I don't need reminding. I'm not sure how much money you make from me seeing adverts but I've made a donation and will probably make another in the future. Please, can we get rid of that smiley?

Thank Post
    Rest assured, an official comment will follow shortly about advertising. Within this statement will be some average costings - you will be truly amazed at EduGeek's running costs!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Rest assured, an official comment will follow shortly about advertising. Within this statement will be some average costings - you will be truly amazed at EduGeek's running costs!
    I'm not disputing the fact that it costs a lot of money to run the site. It's just the fact that I now have a message telling me that adverts are blocked. I think if people have adverts blocked then it's intentional and they're not going to disable their ad blocker just because of a smiley face. As it happens I can just block the smiley face and frame so I'm not too bothered now.

Thank Post
    I see the smiley face for a split second then the advert shows. If I am honest, I don't really notice the adverts around the page.

As has been said the cost of running the site isn't cheap and I'd be happy to donate again into the future.

Thanks

metalmonkey
    Congrats on getting the site to detect if i'm blocking the ad's. Very clever - although slightly worrying as well. There really isn't much you can't do on a website these days.

As someone else has said, i can just ignore them.

However, I have ad blocking because I don't want adverts popping up when i move the mouse and accidently move it over green underlined text - as used on alot of websites (although I acknowledge, its not yours). Thats my sole reason. Unfortunately for you, i'm blocking your ad's as a result.

So if you want to blame someone, blame intellitext (or what ever their name is)

By the way, I don't think I have ever bought something as a result from an Advert online, so you wouldn't make a penny from me anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can block intellitext without blocking the ads.

metalmonkey
    Why should I?

Thank Post
    Although i can fully apreciate the original posters thoughts on ads and I will be the first to admit that I hate them however....

I am sure that you will all agree that this is a truely awesome resource and it has brought together communities from all over in an effort to provide a service that over the past couple of years has grown from strength to strength.

There are indeed plenty of other websites that offer the same resources as this site with one main difference, you have to pay for the others and NOT by a small amount either.

I am not sure how much revenue is generated from these ads and to be honest I have no need to know I am just happy that the guys are trying to find ways to keep this resource free for all to use and yes I am a supporter and yes I choose to donate as I have done on a regular basis but thats not the point, these are just ads, block them if you want, ignore them if you want, hell click on them all its your choice the alternative is to make it a pay only site or a most things edugeek goes the same way as the dodo and thats not what we want is it????

just my thoughts

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post
    Although i can fully apreciate the original posters thoughts on ads and I will be the first to admit that I hate them however....

I am sure that you will all agree that this is a truely awesome resource and it has brought together communities from all over in an effort to provide a service that over the past couple of years has grown from strength to strength.

There are indeed plenty of other websites that offer the same resources as this site with one main difference, you have to pay for the others and NOT by a small amount either.

I am not sure how much revenue is generated from these ads and to be honest I have no need to know I am just happy that the guys are trying to find ways to keep this resource free for all to use and yes I am a supporter and yes I choose to donate as I have done on a regular basis but thats not the point, these are just ads, block them if you want, ignore them if you want, hell click on them all its your choice the alternative is to make it a pay only site or a most things edugeek goes the same way as the dodo and thats not what we want is it????

just my thoughts
    I totally agree, to be honest i hardly notice them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If they (the ads) were at the bottom or side of the page, and didn't get in the way of viewing the content, maybe people wouldn't feel the need to block them.

If advertising is annoying, it's counter productive. After being prodded with the cattle prod so many times, you'd flinch when you saw the real thing.

Successful advertising is an art. Ineffective advertising loses on all fronts.
    Last edited by mark; 28th August 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I totally agree, to be honest i hardly notice them.
    Got to agree with others here - I hardly notice them.
    Last edited by jcollings; 28th August 2008 at 10:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Go to agree with others here - I hardly notice them.
    Neither do I now.

I'm all for adverts to help towards the running costs but I just think having adverts in the posts is.. unsightly. Yes more people are going to see them but more people are going to get annoyed. Are you paid on views or clicks? If clicks then it would be interesting to see if the links are visited more in the next few months or the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    ABP means I don't see the smiley's

Thank Post
    "Who's going to disable their adblocker?" (Or something liek that).

I added an exception for edugeek to adblock+! Chatting with Shaun at the Preston Conf, I knew this was going to happen at some point. I must admit that I don't like the big blocky add that appears in the first post but never mind.

I don't like adverts but I understand that they're necessary, and whilst I've donated to EduGeek in the past that was only for the conference as far as I know! So I felt guilty and unblocked the ads and I'm sure I'll get used to them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic View Post
    "Who's going to disable their adblocker?" (Or something liek that).

I added an exception for edugeek to adblock+! Chatting with Shaun at the Preston Conf, I knew this was going to happen at some point. I must admit that I don't like the big blocky add that appears in the first post but never mind.

I don't like adverts but I understand that they're necessary, and whilst I've donated to EduGeek in the past that was only for the conference as far as I know! So I felt guilty and unblocked the ads and I'm sure I'll get used to them.
    Do you click them though? As I said before does EG get paid for clicks or views?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information