+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Comments and Suggestions Thread, Advertising in EduGeek Stuff; Originally Posted by metalmonkey Really? Are you sure? Try Google. I don't understand your response......

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmonkey View Post
    Really? Are you sure? Try Google.
    I don't understand your response...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What I think MM is getting at is that Google have a money making system based on adverts that can handle that fact that some of their users will block adverts and they still continue to be financially viable. Google have tried lots of different tactics to get adverts into their systems and people are almost blind to them in someways now.

Part of the difference between us and Google is the scale, but we do share certain views ... about giving back to the community, about experimenting and not forgetting that although we are here with a common purpose, we have a raft of different views and are (generally) willing to accept these differences.

The adverts are here to stay unless a philanthropist decides to make significant sponsorship. What can and will be done is tailoring them so that they are appropriate, that they are viewable (MM: I really do understand what you mean about some adverts actually making it impossible to read a page ... one reason why I use and RSS aggregator to get my news and stuff from sites ... plain text and basic images formatted in a shell that *I* find viewable), and that they do not drive people away. The background nag is there to remind people that there are a reason why adverts are there, that by blocking them it decreases the sustainability of the site the community uses and we hope that people will allow the adverts to be viewed, thereby making a contribution to the running of the site without asking them for donations etc.

I think this is pretty much as far as the adverts vs blocking discussion can go really ... we have explained our side, others have explained theirs. There will continue to be a nag image for the time being and we ask people to be understanding about it, and we thank those that put an exception into their blocks, as well as thanking those that continue to post advice on here and rarely request help, thanking those lurkers who help out at events or on projects and thank those that make direct donations.

3. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

leco (31st August 2008), mark (30th August 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    unnecesary comment really
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 5th September 2008 at 01:11 AM. Reason: drunkenramble

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    I don't block any of them as I dont often notice them yet I have not gone to any of the events as of yet or had any pizza or anything lol. ah well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information